PDA

View Full Version : Can I wall mount the 340SE fronts?

TheNew007
05-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Has anybody tried, or know how to wall mount the 340SE fronts? My room is pretty narrow and I think it will look very sharp if I do it. Anybody got any tips or advice that they can give?

Gov
05-18-2007, 05:15 AM
B-Tech BT-77 mounts, do a search for all the info on this mount its great!

audibleconnoisseur
05-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Don't wall mount 340SE's! AA says they need to breath and wall mounting will mess with the acoustics. That port is back there for a reason! Give it at least 6-8" from wall and side wall and try not to back into corner if possible. Room size constraint my sway your mind but since you spent money on them, do the right thing to make them sound the best. You can wall mount the 170SE's but give 3" minimum clearance. You can wall mount or even in-wall the HTM200's so clearance is no issue. Sorry, but good luck!

S_rangeBrew
05-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Don't wall mount 340SE's! AA says they need to breath and wall mounting will mess with the acoustics. That port is back there for a reason! Give it at least 6-8" from wall and side wall and try not to back into corner if possible. Room size constraint my sway your mind but since you spent money on them, do the right thing to make them sound the best. You can wall mount the 170SE's but give 3" minimum clearance. You can wall mount or even in-wall the HTM200's so clearance is no issue. Sorry, but good luck!

The BT-77's mentioned above can provide quite a few inches of clearance. Also, if you have a subwoofer, and are crossing over at 80hz, not as much air is coming out the back port, so not as much clearance is needed.

Also, I was able to mount them straight to drywall using 90lb anchors found at the hardware store. Very solid, and placed perfectly.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/334804320_47fdc3e817_b.jpg

They pretty much dissapear when the room is dark, just a little reflection off the sides, but the excellent sound is worth it. I reccomend BT-77s and Ascend 340s mounted anywhere you please! :cool:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/382095943_64a9f79ffa_b.jpg

drewface
05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
excellent choice of a screenshot to use :D

S_rangeBrew
05-18-2007, 09:53 AM
excellent choice of a screenshot to use :D

Bruce is a beautiful man, isn't he? ;)

drewface
05-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Bruce is a beautiful man, isn't he? ;)yeh... too bad mrs. alba back there keeps drawing my attention from him, even if she is out of focus... :rolleyes:

TheNew007
05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
The BT-77's mentioned above can provide quite a few inches of clearance. Also, if you have a subwoofer, and are crossing over at 80hz, not as much air is coming out the back port, so not as much clearance is needed.

Also, I was able to mount them straight to drywall using 90lb anchors found at the hardware store. Very solid, and placed perfectly.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/334804320_47fdc3e817_b.jpg

They pretty much dissapear when the room is dark, just a little reflection off the sides, but the excellent sound is worth it. I reccomend BT-77s and Ascend 340s mounted anywhere you please! :cool:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/382095943_64a9f79ffa_b.jpg

I'm curious, how did you get the 340se to stay in place like that? If you tilt it enough, wouldn't it just fall off to the front? Also, besides the side clamp, what other mechanisms are there to help anchor the speaker in place? And finally, what do you mean by 90lb anchors? Doesn't the backbone of the bt77 mount connect directly to wooden studs? On specs sheet it says it only supports up 50 lb. Where did the 90lb come from? Thansk

EDIT: And what size of screen is that?

Quinn
05-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Artie K over on Home Theater talk did this with the BT-77s I believe.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/Blueice41/100_0626.jpg

TheNew007
05-19-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm curious, how did you get the 340se to stay in place like that? If you tilt it enough, wouldn't it just fall off to the front? Also, besides the side clamp, what other mechanisms are there to help anchor the speaker in place? And finally, what do you mean by 90lb anchors? Doesn't the backbone of the bt77 mount connect directly to wooden studs? On specs sheet it says it only supports up 50 lb. Where did the 90lb come from? Thansk

bump.
How will the ascends sound when paired wit hk avr247?

curtis
05-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Fine.

TheNew007
05-19-2007, 06:51 PM
not overly bright?

curtis
05-19-2007, 07:08 PM
no....what gave you that idea?

TheNew007
05-19-2007, 07:27 PM
i've heard from other people before that the ascends are very bright, sometimes even fatiguing. good thing hk avr isnt

curtis
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
what people?

I have seen comments like that about extremely high listening levels and straining, but not normal listening.

Mike^S
05-19-2007, 07:36 PM
i've heard from other people before that the ascends are very bright, sometimes even fatiguing. good thing hk avr isnt

Those people are full of it.

Dread Pirate Robert
05-20-2007, 11:18 AM

The tonal balance of Ascend speakers is as neutral as I've ever heard (at any price), and they sound very natural when reproducing well recorded material. I've also heard some people describing them as bright, which could be the result of any number of phenomena, such as the following:

1) If Ascends err at all, it's definitely not on the warm side, and their clarity in comparison to speakers to which many people are accustomed could make them seem bright.

2) Most speakers, even high-end ones, have a substantial "bump" in their bass and lower midrange response which extends into the vocal range, making everything sound warmer or "richer." Ascend speakers don't have this bump, so they may sound somewhat "thin" at low volumes or bright at high volumes in comparison to what most people are used to hearing from speakers. The only valid reference is real life, where indeed very few people have a truly rich, full sounding voice, for example.

3) Poorly recorded and/or mastered source material (which unfortunately includes most rock and pop releases, largely due to the "loudness war") often contains clipping and other artifacts that tend to sound harsh in the upper midrange and lower treble, which many people would understandably perceive as excessive and unnatural brightness. Ascends are very revealing and honest compared to "common" speakers, and don't try to artificially mask defects in the source material. In my opinion, they are not bright in and of themselves, but I don't necessarily blame those who might think they are too bright for other reasons.

TheNew007
05-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Are the 340SE as bright as Klipsh speakers?

Gov
05-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Are the 340SE as bright as Klipsh speakers?

No....Ascends are not bright at all in my opinion

S_rangeBrew
05-24-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm curious, how did you get the 340se to stay in place like that? If you tilt it enough, wouldn't it just fall off to the front? Also, besides the side clamp, what other mechanisms are there to help anchor the speaker in place?

Good question. The side clamps on the BT-77s were actually strong enough to hold the speakers, but they were not perfectly balanced. I used a small screw going into the bottom of the 340s to make it totally solid. You could probably use velcro to the same effect, but I'm not planning on moving these anytime soon.

And finally, what do you mean by 90lb anchors? Doesn't the backbone of the bt77 mount connect directly to wooden studs? On specs sheet it says it only supports up 50 lb. Where did the 90lb come from? Thansk

The drywall anchors I got from Home Depot are rated at 90lbs EACH. I used 4 of them per BT77. They are not attached to any studs, just drywall. The BT77s are rated to 50lbs as you said. The 340s are 25lbs each. They are going *nowhere* I actually hung 50lbs of weights from each mount before I put the speakers on. IMHO, the need for attachments to wall studs is vastly overstated. YMMV.

90" blackout cloth on a wood frame, as described in the DIY screen forum on AVSforum. AE900 720P projector. That + Ascend surround + room painted dark like a movie theater = heaven.

Dread Pirate Robert
05-24-2007, 02:24 PM
The drywall anchors I got from Home Depot are rated at 90lbs EACH. I used 4 of them per BT77.

By the way, the rating on the package is usually the ultimate pull-out force. The industry standard is to divide this number by 4 (if you haven't already) to get the sustainable holding force, which in this case ends up being a far more than sufficient 90 lbs total with four anchors. In general, though, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to drywall anchoring. :)

They are not attached to any studs, just drywall. The BT77s are rated to 50lbs as you said. The 340s are 25lbs each. They are going *nowhere* I actually hung 50lbs of weights from each mount before I put the speakers on. IMHO, the need for attachments to wall studs is vastly overstated. YMMV.

Yeah, stud mounting is not necessary for relatively light loads like most speakers. That said, I don't blame manufacturers one bit for suggesting or even requiring it, as many people would just go by the package rating and get barely enough according to that rating (which is really barely 1/4 of what they need! :eek: ), use those wimpy plastic expansion anchors (only good for light loads in solid concrete), or even no anchors at all, which is quite unsafe.

You've got plenty of margin in your case so it doesn't matter exactly what type of anchor you used, but in general, some sort of toggle (even the plastic ones with "wings") or molly bolt would be the best design to use for anything heavier than a picture frame (avoid the ones that look like large screws--they might work alright, but why not get something better?). I was fortunate enough to have studs where I needed them, so I used two #12 wood screws for each 170SE for an ultimate pull-out force rating of about 1800 lbs (450 lbs sustained)--think it'll hold? :D