PDA

View Full Version : Ascends on my list - some prepurchase questions

earsintraining
05-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey folks, first time poster, short time browser...

I'm very close to making a purchase of ascends are perhaps a few other brands, but Ascends are right there on top. I'm drawn in by the boutique esk feeling and the brand perception. I'm sure I'd be happy with them.

So here are my questions.

1. I want a 5.1 system and I would like to keep and use my current subwoofer which is a PolkAudio PSW10. Right now I have my small polk RM6005's running into the sub and then into my reciever. Can I also do the same with Ascends 340SE mains and center and either 340 or 170 rears?

This PSW10 sub does not have a single subwoofer connect but does have a direct-in RCA jack.

Is there another way I could hook it up? I can't seem to find another way with my reciever (see #3.)

2. For those of you that own a 5.1 system how do the 170's compare with the 340's as rears?

3. I have a new Yamaha RX-V2700, is this alone enough to properly power a 5.1 Ascend speaker system? Being that they are 8ohms, I'm guessing yes?

Any other comments you'd like to make are also welcome. I've been waiting a long time to get rid of my thin sounding PolkAudio RM6005's.

Thanks all!

drewface
05-14-2007, 12:43 PM
2. For those of you that own a 5.1 system how do the 170's compare with the 340's as rears?the 170s work great as surrounds. i haven't heard the 200s, but word is they are also excellent for surrounds. 170s may be better if you will be doing a lot of multi-channel music listening, but for movies either one will be fantastic.
3. I have a new Yamaha RX-V2700, is this alone enough to properly power a 5.1 Ascend speaker system? Being that they are 8ohms, I'm guessing yes?i use an rx-v2400, and it works great. the 2700 has more power, so you'll be fine.

curtis
05-14-2007, 01:16 PM
1. I want a 5.1 system and I would like to keep and use my current subwoofer which is a PolkAudio PSW10. Right now I have my small polk RM6005's running into the sub and then into my reciever. Can I also do the same with Ascends 340SE mains and center and either 340 or 170 rears?
How is the sub hooked up to the Yamaha now?

I just checked the specs on the sub and it has a line level input. So, you want to get a sub(rca) cable, and connect sub out connector on the receiver to the line level input on the sub. Set the crossover on the sub to its highest setting (which in effect defeats the crossover), then set the speakers on the Yamaha to small, and adjust the receiver's crossover to where appropriate. I don't know much about the Yamaha receivers....so maybe drewface can help you with that.

earsintraining
05-14-2007, 01:22 PM
How is the sub hooked up to the Yamaha now?

Right now the Fronts go direct from the Yamaha to front left and right speakers.

The "surrounds" are like this. The left and right output of the Surround section of the Yamaha to the left and right input of the sub, then out of the sub to the rear surround speakers. The sub is also 8ohm.

So I guess I'm wondering if it's ok to pass the Ascend rears throught the sub.

curtis
05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
So I guess I'm wondering if it's ok to pass the Ascend rears throught the sub.
With your receiver, and most speakers if not all, the speakers and sub should be connected directly to the receiver, allowing the receiver to take care of the bass management/crossover.

earsintraining
05-14-2007, 01:50 PM
With your receiver, and most speakers if not all, the speakers and sub should be connected directly to the receiver, allowing the receiver to take care of the bass management/crossover.

Yeah I know. but with this sub I apparently don't have that option.

curtis
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah you do....it has line level inputs.

AndrewM
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I have the same sub right now (not for long thank the Lord!) hooked up to a H/K AVR 247, I have a y-adapter going to a set of rca's with the rca's then plugged into the sub.

You should have the same connection from what you described.

Great choice with the ascend's... I am waiting for my center channel now to complete my front stage (all 340's), next upgrade foryou would be that sub for sure.... I cant believe I paid over $5 for it. Almost zero bass volume with horrible response when it even starts being pushed.

I have a PSB 6i on the way! woo hoo!

*shoot... about 5 seconds too late with my response lol

earsintraining
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah you do....it has line level inputs.

Duh!... I just realized how stupid I was being.... Sorry man, i didn't sleep well last night.

Thank you much Curtis, strange I have only heard from you and your a volunteer member?

earsintraining
05-14-2007, 02:04 PM
next upgrade foryou would be that sub for sure.... I cant believe I paid over $5 for it. Almost zero bass volume with horrible response when it even starts being pushed.

Actually I didn't think it was all THAT bad. I've had it in two different houses and certainly projects better in this house 9 foot ceiling and more closed vs. 30 ft ceilings and open. I find it largely depends on the audio its recieving to.

I don't remember what I paid, but more than $5.

Based on the Frequency response of the Ascends I'm hoping I can rely on the sub for 75hz or lower. That's not soo hard is it.... :-)

earsintraining
05-14-2007, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=earsintraining]Duh!... I just realized how stupid I was being....QUOTE]

In a small defense of myself, my previous reciever did not have a dedicated out.. :-)...

AndrewM
05-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Actually I didn't think it was all THAT bad. I've had it in two different houses and certainly projects better in this house 9 foot ceiling and more closed vs. 30 ft ceilings and open. I find it largely depends on the audio its recieving to.

I don't remember what I paid, but more than $5.

Based on the Frequency response of the Ascends I'm hoping I can rely on the sub for 75hz or lower. That's not soo hard is it.... :-)

LOL, well i suppose I was being a bit harsh on it... but there are some pretty great subs to be had out in internet land in the sub-$500 arena.

Something to think about in the future.

curtis
05-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I am a volunteer "moderator". I have owned Ascends for about four years now.

There are a lot of helpful folks in the forum. As happy as most of us are with the speakers, we say "listen for yourself" and then you will see. :) Your question about the sub hookup was pretty specific and took some time to research....and I had wanted to kill some time here at work. :)

And I agree with Andrew about a better sub.

earsintraining
05-14-2007, 02:33 PM
And I agree with Andrew about a better sub.

I know, I know. But remember my fronts and rears are Polk RM6005's, imagine how huge a difference Ascends will make from those!

Sub will come a little later when I convince my wife we HAVE to have one. Took me a while to justify speakers and reciever upgrade. :)

curtis
05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Where are you located? Maybe you could get her to audition a setup.

earsintraining
05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Where are you located? Maybe you could get her to audition a setup.

I'm in the beautiful Bay Area (specifically Fremont/Union City area... Gotta be an advocate here somewhere.

curtis
05-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm in the beautiful Bay Area (specifically Fremont/Union City area... Gotta be an advocate here somewhere.
Yeah...there are a few.

BTW, I went to Cal State Hayward.....many years ago....

earsintraining
05-15-2007, 02:34 PM
I went to Cal State Hayward.....many years ago....

Very cool, just down the road. Nice area. A bit pricey for a midwestern boy though.. :)