PDA

View Full Version : Boulder, CO - Ascend and Rocket Listening Opportunity

gagamaggot
05-11-2007, 11:31 AM
All,

This was mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to start a new thread so nobody lost out on the opportunity.

I am presently auditioning Ascend CMT-340s and Rocket RS450s in my home. Send me a PM if you would like to hear these two fine speakers before one gets returned.

I live in Boulder County, Colorado.

(My CD source is an Oppo 971 optically connected to an Emotiva Ultra stack.)

James

Quinn
05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
340s or 340SEs?

BTW- The having both Ascends to the outside is handicapping their imaging. Usually, when doing something like is best to disadvantage each speaker equally with an AB-------AB arrangement.

leon55
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
All,

This was mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to start a new thread so nobody lost out on the opportunity.

I am presently auditioning Ascend CMT-340s and Rocket RS450s in my home. Send me a PM if you would like to hear these two fine speakers before one gets returned.

I live in Boulder County, Colorado.

(My CD source is an Oppo 971 optically connected to an Emotiva Ultra stack.)

James

Looking at these speakers, how high will the tweeters be, looks like they will be below ear level from the pictures. That might make a difference but then again I don't know. Good luck with your auditioning.

gagamaggot
05-11-2007, 03:46 PM
340s or 340SEs?

BTW- The having both Ascends to the outside is handicapping their imaging. Usually, when doing something like is best to disadvantage each speaker equally with an AB-------AB arrangement.

The Ascends are new SEs.

I have arranged the speakers (L to R) Rocket-Ascend-Rocket-Ascend, then Ascend-Rocket-Ascend-Rocket and finally switched to Ascend-Rocket-Rocket-Ascend trying to get a bigger sound stage from the Ascends.

I also had the Ascends by themselves for 5 days and I have not noticed much difference from different positions.

gagamaggot
05-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Looking at these speakers, how high will the tweeters be, looks like they will be below ear level from the pictures. That might make a difference but then again I don't know. Good luck with your auditioning.

The Ascends are above the sofa arm on the left when I am seated and the tweeters are within an inch or so of my ear level. The stools are only 2 inches shorter than the 340 stands.

The sofa actually does partially block the bottom 5.25" driver on the Rocket.

leon55
05-12-2007, 09:24 AM
The Ascends are above the sofa arm on the left when I am seated and the tweeters are within an inch or so of my ear level. The stools are only 2 inches shorter than the 340 stands.

The sofa actually does partially block the bottom 5.25" driver on the Rocket.

I thought so, I had the same problem with my sofa, so I had to move it, lucky it was in my room, I call it, when my wife is not around. I had stands that were about 2 inches shorter than I liked, then I built my own, now I have no problems, but I thought it made a difference when I brought the tweeter to my ear level.

Quinn
05-13-2007, 07:53 AM
With that beautiful avatar I have to ask if your screen name is in reference to those poor souls in BCS?

gagamaggot
05-15-2007, 06:58 AM
With that beautiful avatar I have to ask if your screen name is in reference to those poor souls in BCS?

I am glad you like the avatar. There is no connection between the screen name and Avatar. I grew up in Austin and saw the tower lit for quite a few National Championships. I moved to Colorado 10 years ago, so I missed the last two baseball titles and the latest football title.

Quinn
05-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I grew up in Austin too. 10 years ago was a good time to leave. It is nothing like the Austin of old. Of if you weren't there to know those times you'd never know what is missing now.

gagamaggot
05-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I grew up in Austin too. 10 years ago was a good time to leave. It is nothing like the Austin of old. Of if you weren't there to know those times you'd never know what is missing now.

I agree that it is nothing like it was before the tech boom. My grandparents moved there in the 1940s and my family has seen all the changes.

I think it is still a great place to live, it just isn't ever going to have that small college town feel again.

Kpt_Krunch
06-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Sooo, which ones have you returned (or are you still auditioning?)

gagamaggot
06-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Sooo, which ones have you returned (or are you still auditioning?)

I kept the Rockets. Both speakers had great detail in the high-end.To my ears, the Rockets had more mid-bass attack and bass extension.

Ironically, that is exactly what people are saying about the Sierras compared to the 340s.

I really want to get an audition of the Sierras now.

Kpt_Krunch
06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
That's cool g - nice to be able to audition these in your own home for 30 days and keep the ones you like (people complain about shipping costs - but all the places I know here (not FS or CC but the higher end places) make you pay a 20% restocking fee if you are returning the product - excluding manufacturers defects of course - I'd rather pay a shipping charge, it's a lot cheaper).

I also see you powered them using the Emotiva ultra combo. I'm starting my research now on my next setup for my new h/t area and the Emotiva reference (DMC1 / MPS-1) caught my eye. However, it's my ears that count lol. A bit off topic here for this thread but are you happy with your Emotiva setup for the price?

BradJudy
06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
gagamaggot

I'll likely have Sierra's in the near future, so we could probably arrange to get together and you can check them out. I don't want to host a comparison GTG as I've stopped giving speaker comparisons, but I'm sure we could arrange me stopping by with them sometime or something.

gagamaggot
06-15-2007, 06:09 AM
A bit off topic here for this thread but are you happy with your Emotiva setup for the price?

I am extremely happy with the Emotiva UL Combo. I know there are some complaints online about some processing quirks, bit I don't have any of those issues. I only use it in Bypass for 2-Channel and 5.1 Dolby/DTS for movies, and for this it is great. Also, their customer service is very good.

I had also purchased a Yamaha RX-V659 to try in place of the Emo and to try as a preamp on the LMC-1. I returned the Yamaha because the SQ of the EMO was better and the processing quirks never were an issue.

gagamaggot
06-15-2007, 06:11 AM
gagamaggot

I'll likely have Sierra's in the near future, so we could probably arrange to get together and you can check them out. I don't want to host a comparison GTG as I've stopped giving speaker comparisons, but I'm sure we could arrange me stopping by with them sometime or something.

I appreciate your generosity. Should I wait for a PM once your's have arrived?