PDA

View Full Version : 200 watts!? (170s question)

shore
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Looking at the specs made me wonder - has anyone actually hooked their 170s up to 200 watts of (clean) power? What happened? Do I need to open all the windows first, like during a tornado warning, to make sure they don't all break? ;)

What kind of SPL would you get? Didn't see it in the specs (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170specs.html) .

Sorry if it's been asked, searched and didn't see it.
Minimum Recommended Power 25 watts
Maximum Continous Power* 200 watts
Maximum Short Term Peak Power* 400 watts

Gov
04-24-2007, 12:35 PM
The 170's could easily handle 200 watts and would thank you for it!! As far as SPL's go, way to many variables. You have to be more specific.

curtis
04-24-2007, 01:01 PM
What are you looking for in terms of volume levels?

Before you even reach those power limits, the SPL would drive you out of the room.

FWIW, I have hooked my 170SE's up to my 500wpc amp without problems, but I also wasn't trying to find out how loud it would get.

shore
04-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not looking for technical details, just curiousity about whether anyone has turned it way up and how it sounded. You have to admit that's a serious number for a speaker that size.

BradJudy
04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Mine are hooked to an Outlaw 750 which is something like 165W/ch IIRC.

I've never pushed them past the point I was comfortable listening to - I don't have any desire to see what happens just for giggles.

drewface
04-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I've never pushed them past the point I was comfortable listening to - I don't have any desire to see what happens just for giggles.HAHAHA. why not man? it'd be AWESOME!

shore
04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Well, in a big room it wouldn't be entirely for giggles.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, it seems to confirm it's a real number, not that there was any doubt about that, and that I'd have to try for myself sometime to really answer my question.

Thanks, good enough.

buddhadas
04-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Curtis, I've been meaning to ask you, what kind of amp are you using?
Thanks
Jim
P.S. Th Mc2120 I got is performing wonderfully.

curtis
04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Curtis, I've been meaning to ask you, what kind of amp are you using?
Thanks
Jim
P.S. Th Mc2120 I got is performing wonderfully.
The amp that I use is somewhat of a clone Rotel RB1092 or two channel version of the Bel Canto Ref1000.

They use B&O's ICEpower 1000asp module.

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/sw1022.asp

This one is kind of fluffy...but I like referencing it. :)
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/icepower/icepower.html

I bought mine from a small outfit in Denmark, although now, I have seen a place here in the US that is selling clones for about the same price I paid.

The surrounds and center are driven by an ATI 1505.

buddhadas
04-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks Curtis.

Looks to be an interesting setup.

Jim

chas
04-25-2007, 05:33 AM
I bought mine from a small outfit in Denmark, although now, I have seen a place here in the US that is selling clones for about the same price I paid.

Can you tell us who is selling these in the US?

curtis
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Can you tell us who is selling these in the US?
I am trying to get more information before I throw the name out there.

BradJudy
04-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Red Dragon Audio sells ICE monoblocks, but they are $$$$.

I'm sure there are a number of cheaper options, but I've never looked into it.

curtis
04-25-2007, 12:51 PM
yeah...there are hand full(or less) of US boutique manufacturers using ICEpower, and they are relatively expensive. The one I just came across is inexpensive(relatively).

I emailed the company, and judging by the reply and lack there of, it does not look promising.

There are even some mass market companies using lower power ICEpower modules, especially in car audio.

Robert7
04-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I had the 170's hooked up with a Marsh 200 watt per channel amp running from a Classe pre. The sound was clear no matter how high I turned it up until it was no longer desirable to hear louder. It's amazing how strong this speaker is. It was also playing with a Rel Strata III subwoofer.

S_rangeBrew
05-18-2007, 09:06 AM
I blew up the woofers and tweeters on my L/R Main HTM-200s, which are also rated for 200watts. I was playing loud music and using a Pioneer 1014TX (rated @ 90wpc in surround mode, which it was in) Now, my 340SE that I replaced the 200s with, play just as loud with the same amp with no blowout issues, because they are far more efficient.
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I'm sure they can handle the power, the real question, is can your amp provide enough without clipping? With the HTM-200s, my 1014TX couldn't handle the task, and it's beefier than most low-end recievers.
Pro-amps are in my future. :cool:

Quinn
05-18-2007, 09:16 AM
I blew up the woofers and tweeters on my L/R Main HTM-200s, which are also rated for 200watts. I was playing loud music and using a Pioneer 1014TX (rated @ 90wpc in surround mode, which it was in) Now, my 340SE that I replaced the 200s with, play just as loud with the same amp with no blowout issues, because they are far more efficient.
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I'm sure they can handle the power, the real question, is can your amp provide enough without clipping? With the HTM-200s, my 1014TX couldn't handle the task, and it's beefier than most low-end recievers.
Pro-amps are in my future. :cool:

Don't get caught in how many watts the manufacturer says it is. How beefy the amp section is is very important. As someone else likes to say, "they are called amplifiers not wattifiers."

S_rangeBrew
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Don't get caught in how many watts the manufacturer says it is. How beefy the amp section is is very important. As someone else likes to say, "they are called amplifiers not wattifiers."

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The 1014TX is actually a Pioneer Elite, so it's amp section is VERY beefy compared to a normal consumer grade Pioneer. At 2ch mode, it's been tested to put out over 110w x 2 easily. However, when it's driving 5 or more speakers in surround mode, this drops to below 80w per channel easily. Can you imagine how fast I would have blown the speakers with some puny little thing?

Pro AMPs weigh in a 40lbs for a 2 channel AMP. There is a reason for that. And they don't even have big heat sinks!

buzzy
05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
I still don't think I'd turn the dial on any amp all the way up with any kind of loud music - that's just asking for distortion and clipping damage.

S_rangeBrew
05-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I still don't think I'd turn the dial on any amp all the way up with any kind of loud music - that's just asking for distortion and clipping damage.

If you have enough power, and your speakers can handle it, your ears will give out long before your system does.

I play my music as lound as I want it to be, if my amp or speakers can't take it... I'll get new ones. If I put a 500W per channel amp on my 340s and they end up blowing.... bye bye 340s. I doubt that would happen, though.