PDA

View Full Version : Drawbacks to placing 340 center on top of a sub

sensibull
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I have several threads already related to me helping my brother design a theater room. One of the concerns was where to place the center speaker, because a projection screen will be occupying the ideal spot.

Would there be any major drawbacks to placing a 340 center directly atop (and angled up from) a well-braced, DIY sub?

curtis
04-12-2007, 11:08 AM
If the center didn't vibrate because of the sub much, then I see no problem with it.

Maybe use some Auralex MoPads between the center and sub to help isolate.

sensibull
04-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks. :)

muzz
04-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Can he place it ABOVE the screen, and angle it down a bit?
Then adjust distance/delay and such?

sensibull
04-15-2007, 05:38 AM
Can he place it ABOVE the screen, and angle it down a bit?
Then adjust distance/delay and such?

Possibly. But that would put the speaker very close to the ceiling. Atop a sub below the screen would put it much closer to a seated person's ear level. Plus, using the sub as stand saves the extra expense of a wall mount or dedicated stand.

gagamaggot
04-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Have you researched acoustically transparent screens that would permit placing the center behind the screen?

sensibull
04-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Have you researched acoustically transparent screens that would permit placing the center behind the screen?

Not too much, as that would essentially require an inwall speaker (screen will be flat against new drywall) and the general consensus seems to be that you need to spend a pretty penny to get an inwall that performs even close to say the 340c. Not to mention acoustically transparent screens are a bit pricey too, no?

muzz
04-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Yep, it would, I thought of that right after I posted, but I wasn't sure how big the wall was, and how close to the ceiling it would be, so I left the question on there.

I personally couldn't do that, because the top of my screen is about 1" from the ceiling, so I have my center on a small Ethan Allen TV stand(24")I had hanging around from the 20" TV days, and the sub is on the floor right next to it.

drewface
04-15-2007, 12:41 PM
you could probably build a simple little shelf of sorts that would somewhat "frame" the sub and give the center channel something solid to rest on. this wouldn't have to raise the center much higher than the top of the sub, and if done properly would lower the amount of vibration on the speaker vs. placing it directly on the sub.

sensibull
04-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Good idea, drewface. I'll file that under "build if necessary." ;)

gagamaggot
04-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Not too much, as that would essentially require an inwall speaker (screen will be flat against new drywall) and the general consensus seems to be that you need to spend a pretty penny to get an inwall that performs even close to say the 340c. Not to mention acoustically transparent screens are a bit pricey too, no?

Those screens are pretty pricey. The only guy I know that uses one also has a 5-figure Runco and B&W 800-series speakers that probably costs more than my entire setup. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the build-out.

curtis
04-16-2007, 07:21 AM
For DIYer's, this seems to be the screen material to get:

http://www.smxscreen.com/