PDA

View Full Version : tipped over speakerstand with 170 on it...doh

kinggimp82
03-31-2007, 02:35 PM
a few days ago my speakerstand got bumped and fell over and my 170 landed on its side on the floor. the floor is real hard with thin carpet. has anyone else done this? And if so did it wrech the speaker? i listened to some music since and it seems ok. i also watched sin city on dvd. i swear during certain dialog i hear this faint high pitch sound on certain spots. like a ringing sound. deep voices don't seem to be a problem. dunno if im actually hearing this or if im just parinoid. if it is damaged what would cause such a sound? just hope im only paranoid.

Quinn
03-31-2007, 05:39 PM
My kids have dumped mine half a dozen times without any affect.

dpristin
03-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Even though my mom came up with a great cover-up story, the evidence is that my son knocked off the CBM-170 together with the stand when he was on her watch :). David was quite impressed with the amount of damage they had done to the woofer. But the speaker was clearly damaged sound-wise; it took me awhile to discover this though because it was a surround speaker and I listen to stereo music most of the time.

ebh
04-01-2007, 11:19 PM
i dropped one of my 170s off its stand once... was pretty worried but i don't think there have been any problems. there was no physical damage, tho i was paranoid for a long time and kept thinking i heard things or that the speaker was quieter or something. turns out it was a bit quieter but i dont know if it had anything to do with knocking it over. i dont know if there is any official way to check, tho.

kinggimp82
04-02-2007, 12:41 PM
how tall are the stands you guys have your 170's on? mine are 3' tall.

i watched fight club yesterday and all seemed fine. didnt notice anything odd. i use the 170's as mains so its easier to tell its ok.

qqkltb
04-02-2007, 02:17 PM
One of my 170 took a free fall from atleast 6ft high onto a carpeted concrete floor, I just knew it was done. It took the impact like a champ. Did some testing and it sounds perfectly fine, six months later still going strong. I love my speakers! http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

bikeman
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
One of my 170 took a free fall from atleast 6ft high
6 ft? I would've had a sizure before it ever hit the carpet. That's incredible.

David

Jorge_Burrito
04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Hah, I would just like to echo David's comment. Must of seemed to take hours watching that speaker fall from so high.

qqkltb
04-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, you should of heard the scream I let out, my wife didn't know what to think. The speakers where just out of the box.

BGHD
04-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Haven't dropped my 170 but hit it REAL hard with my head. Hit it hard enough to require re-setting the wallmount. Everything seems to work fine...well, at least the speaker that is.

Contact Ascend for advice.