PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Ascend (heresy, I know)

sensibull
03-29-2007, 04:48 AM
Like most of us audio/visual junkies, I get consulted a lot by friends and family about what XX to buy (speakers, tv, htpc, etc., etc.). Well, my older brother has come to me recently and basically asked me to plan out his entire home theater room. Frankly, I just don't have the time at the moment (impending move) to research everything to the Nth degree like a would for myself. So I'm coming to you guys for help.

Normally, for the speakers, this would be a no-brainer. And in fact, I have already suggested 340SEs up front and HTM200 rears. But I have a niggling worry that the advantages of Ascend (extreme neutrality and revealing clarity) might not be best for his situation. The vast majority of what will be played through these speakers is TV (sports), mp3-sourced music, and movies (in that order).

So, to cut this short, if you were forced to recommend an alternative, more forgiving speaker in the same price range ($~1,500 for L/R/C and rears), what would it be? Anybody have any in-wall recs?

debo
03-29-2007, 05:57 AM
My brother just came to me with the same request.
Does your brother like your sound? If the answer is yes then I wouldn't look at anything else. I don't want my brother coming over my house and saying my setup sounds better than his.
Just change his source music, put on a cd of the same song as the mp3 and let him hear the difference and walk away. He'll get hooked on music again just like the rest of us did after owning Ascend's.

bikeman
03-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Are there any size restrictions? What imput is his wife (if any) giving?

David

sensibull
03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Are there any size restrictions? What imput is his wife (if any) giving?

David

I seriously doubt his wife will even go down the basement much. Inwall would be best, as far as use of space goes, but I've convinced him freestanding speakers will give way more bang for his buck. So long as stands can be filled, he's open to floorstanders.

One problem I'm struggling with is the center speaker. His screen is only going to be about a foot to 2 feet off the floor, which makes center placement problematic to say the least. Angled up or down is really the only option, I guess.

curtis
03-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Does he have the screen already? What about getting a screen that is acoustically tranparent so he could place the center directly behind it?

sensibull
03-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Does he have the screen already? What about getting a screen that is acoustically tranparent so he could place the center directly behind it?

I've thought about that, but was under the impression acoustically transparent screens were pricey and/or had other drawbacks. Could be way off base on that... will have to do some readying. Also, there won't be much room behind the drywall he's putting up.

curtis
04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I've thought about that, but was under the impression acoustically transparent screens were pricey and/or had other drawbacks. Could be way off base on that... will have to do some readying. Also, there won't be much room behind the drywall he's putting up.
With you being the the this forum's king DIYer, I would look at this:

http://www.smxscreen.com/