PDA

View Full Version : A quick thank you ....

bigd
03-18-2007, 03:02 PM
A few weeks back I took some of the advice here and bought 2-170's and 2-340's. To compliment these I went for the advice of a couple that advised a HK to mellow the sound, was finding my old Cornwall's with a Yamaha receiver a little harsh. I chose the HK AVR 340 .... lots of power and very clean without the bite on the high end. Too bad Dave can't ship the HK to Canada, had to resort to a US seller on ebay .... seems unfair to Dave but his hands were tied. Like all other reports the service was great. That adjective doesn't really do him justice but I'll probably spell exemplary wrong. :)

For my center channel I utilized my old Energy center speaker and the sub is the HSU V2-MK2. This system is wonderful. I'll start another thread on the HK AVR 340 as I could use some tips on the surround modes.

Thanks guys, your recommendations on these purchases were spot on. Now if only the wife would quit telling me to turn it down, any suggestions here .... that are printable? ;)

...bigd

bikeman
03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Now if only the wife would quit telling me to turn it down, any suggestions here .... that are printable? ;) ...bigd
Hey bigd, if ya ever figure that one out, you'll be a rich man. ;)

David

bigd
03-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi David,

Actually, thought I had it figured once, solved the problem but it didn't meet your criteria for making one rich .... actually costs in the neighborhood of 50%. :eek:
Good news is the replacement makes me feel like a million dollars :)

Grayson73
03-19-2007, 01:35 PM
A few weeks back I took some of the advice here and bought 2-170's and 2-340's.

For my center channel I utilized my old Energy center speaker and the sub is the HSU V2-MK2. This system is wonderful. I'll start another thread on the HK AVR 340 as I could use some tips on the surround modes.

You're using 340 L/R and Energy center?

bigd
03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Grayson,

That is correct, I have an Energy center channel speaker approx. 8 years old. Can't give you the model # easily because I was not able to place it where I wanted. It sits behind the plasma tv that sits in a wall cove, not the best location but it does give me a center channel, voice frequencies come from behind the tv. Would have gone with the 340 (or the best center channel recommendation) but it seeemed like a waste to place a new better quality center in behind the tv. All other speakers are on the stands sold by Dave.

I'm limited to this placement but seeing as how you asked, do you feel an Ascend center option would increase my experience significantly?

..... bigd

curtis
03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm limited to this placement but seeing as how you asked, do you feel an Ascend center option would increase my experience significantly?

Properly placed, I think it would definitely benefit the experience, otherwise, I am not so sure.

bigd
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi Curtis,

You nailed it, the key word is 'properly', unable to do that as I am stuck with a behind the tv placement. There is a 30 sq. ft. area behind the tv but maybe it may sound better placing the Energy center facing up, in lieu of the back of the tv. Dolby Digital utilizes a little more main left and right for vocals .... but that is a work-around that may be costing me quality on some sources.

.... big d

drewface
03-19-2007, 08:27 PM
i'd almost think not having a center at all would sound better than having the speaker behind the tv...

when you say "behind," do you mean the speaker is facing the back of the tv, or is it at least aimed above or below the tv? having the tv in the way i'm sure would do some really bad things to the sound quality regardless of how good your speaker is.

curtis
03-19-2007, 08:28 PM
You might want to try a phantom center instead.

Configure your receiver for no center channel and see how you like it.

edit: drewface beat me to it.

bigd
03-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Drewface,

I have a hunch you and Curtis are politely telling me to get rid of the Energy :) It is old and it wasn't their best. That may be a good idea, I'll play around with the suggestions.

I've yet to try facing it up at the largest part of the cove but the 42" plasma fills the cove with only 1" of space around the tv. I do want good vocals for the tv signal. Thanks for the tips ....

bigd

ebh
03-19-2007, 08:59 PM
i dont think the advice would change even if it were an ascend center channel. it's just not an ideal placement, and a phantom center would seem to be a better option.

Grayson73
03-20-2007, 06:25 AM
I would try phantom center also. I would imagine that panning left to center to right with mismatched speakers wouldn't sound that great.

bigd
03-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi Grayson,

Switched to the center=none setting, will try that for a while and see how things sound.

I don't like the idea of no center or a true 5.1 HT but I may go with this experiment for a while. If the center is missed I'll order a matching center from David F next winter when we do most of our viewing and boost the db a little for the semi-buried center speaker.

.... bigd

curtis
03-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Do you have a picture of the setup?

I don't like the idea of no center or a true 5.1 HT but I may go with this experiment for a while.
Understandable, but in this case, a muffled center channel is even less ideal IMO.

davef
03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi BigD,

You are most welcome and I am pleased that you are enjoying the system :) Sorry that we couldn't ship you the HK.

Regarding your situation with the center channel, I would also recommend at least trying "phantom" center mode and go from there.

Take care!

bigd
03-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi Dave,

You don't have to be sorry about the HK, your hands are tied. Enjoying the system, my ears are pleased :) My previous Cornwall's were too shrill on the highs, these are more accurate. They also could not beat your HSU recommendation on the base end, you've built me a great system. Enuff said.

Set my center to none. My choices were small, large or none. If this is what you guys are advocating, I'm good to go. Thanks all for the advice.

... bigd

drewface
03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Set my center to none. My choices were small, large or none. If this is what you guys are advocating, I'm good to go. Thanks all for the advice.none would be the one. to get the best idea of if you like the "phantom" center or not, give it a week or so to get used to, and then try switching the center back on and comparing.

glad you're enjoying your new system. hopefully you will continue to enjoy it for quite some time.