PDA

View Full Version : Metal Dome v. Silk Dome

Classpro
03-13-2007, 12:58 PM
It seems that more and more speaker manufacturers are using metal dome tweeters these days. I'm curious whether this a cost savings move, or whether metal domes are getting better?

bikeman
03-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm curious whether this a cost savings move, or whether metal domes are getting better?
They sure can't get worse. ;) I have a prejudice against metal that goes way back. I'm sure they've improved but I can't bring myself to seriously consider them yet. Maybe if I stumble accross some that sound as good as a quality fabric tweet, I'll reevaluate my long held prejudice.

David

Classpro
03-13-2007, 07:00 PM
David: I too always hated metal domes. A couple of years ago, I heard a very expensive pair of Thiels, and thought they sounded quite good - not harsh at all. Since that time, many manufacturers have gone to metal (psb, nht, b&w, paradigm). I was really impressed with the detail on the ascends, achieved with a fabric dome. So I was just curious whether David F played with metal when designing, and how he felt about the differences (other than the obvious fact that he chose fabric).

GirgleMirt
03-13-2007, 07:58 PM
It's much more a matter a implementation than driver type. Metal tweeters aren't inherently cheaper. You have good metal tweeters and you have bad ones. You have good soft dome tweeters and you have bad ones. You have good tweeters used in designs which will sound awesome and you can have the same tweeter in another design where it won't sound anywhere as good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweeter#Dome_materials

CraigT
03-14-2007, 11:34 AM
I haven't liked ANY speaker with metal tweeters and this includes some high dollar speakers. Metal tweeters are like ice picks to my ears.

Classpro
03-15-2007, 03:17 PM
CraigT: You're not supposed to put the tweeter IN your ear. Ouch, that would hurt. :-)