PDA

View Full Version : CBM-170's VS. HTM-200's as rears

Lizard_King
03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Hello All,

I am so close to finishing my system. I have an Outlaw Audio 1070 A/V receiver , HSU VTF-2 MK2 sub and an Ascend 340C (classic) Center channel.

I will mostly listen to Redbook CD's , music from my PC, FM, Movies then Multi-channel discs.

For rear speakers, I wnat to use Ascend and want to ask you what type of differences can I expect betwwen the two mentioned sets?

I welcome all of your feedback so please submit!

Liz

Classpro
03-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I am probably in the minority here, but unless you're listening to multi-channel music disks, almost any speaker can be used for rears. It's just some sound effects coming out of the speakers. It's the three speakers in the front that really matter, IMO.

curtis
03-13-2007, 01:03 PM
It's just some sound effects coming out of the speakers.
I would say that used to be true, but nowadays surrounds are getting more and more involved with the presentation.

Lizard_King
03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Hey Curtis,

I spoke with James earlier. I am still pondering which speaker to get, the 170's or the 200's.

The 200's are easier to mount, position, do not take up space, etc.. The 170's sound better but how much better? James told me on a scale of 1-10 if the 170's are a 10 then the 200's are an 8-8.5 .

I will use 62 feet of Ascend speaker cable for the rears and sub.

So now, do I get the 170's or HTM-200's?

I would say that used to be true, but nowadays surrounds are getting more and more involved with the presentation.

curtis
03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Get them both, compare, and then decide. :) Yeah...I know that was the easy way out of that question.

If you don't get the 170SE's, if you are like me, you are going to be questioning yourself until you actually try them. There are some that would also question if they would have been just as happy with the 200's.

ebh
03-13-2007, 02:16 PM
i dunno, i use 170s as my mains, so they would just seem really big for rears. i'm happy with the 200s. if you have the space for it, may as well go for the 170s, they aren't that much more. but i don't think the 200s will disappoint you.

edit: also, didn't we just discuss this not too long ago?

bikeman
03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
also, didn't we just discuss this not too long ago?
We've discussed this every month since I've been on the Forum. I can almost write all the old timers responses from memory. That's if I had a memory. :o

David

Lizard_King
03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I just ordered the HTM-200's with a pair of Omnimounts 2.0 and 62 feet of speaker cable. The HTM-200s wil be easier to mount, and will not look like behemoths on my wall.

EBH, I am hopful to be like you and enjoy these. In the future, I could use 170's for rears and move the 200's to the sides.

Liz out.

ebh
03-14-2007, 03:14 PM
EBH, I am hopful to be like you and enjoy these. In the future, I could use 170's for rears and move the 200's to the sides.

Liz out.

good luck. if you don't like it, you can always send it back in 30 days and upgrade to the 170s. but i have a feeling you will be happy.

also, i think you mean 170s for sides, 200s for rears. despite us all calling surround speakers rears (in a 5.1 setup) they generally go on either side and slightly behind the listening position. in a 7.1 the last two speakers are actually in the back, facing forward. if that's where i'd move the 200s to if you ever get 170s for surrounds. i guess it's most clear if we would all say surrounds and rear surrounds.

BGHD
03-15-2007, 02:58 AM
IMO, another plus for the 200s, they're aesthetically a better match w/ the 340s than the bigger/boxier 170s. No remorse Lizard. I'm another perfectly happy 340 LCR + 200 surround user.

Gov
03-15-2007, 07:34 AM
IMO, another plus for the 200s, they're aesthetically a better match w/ the 340s than the bigger/boxier 170s. No remorse Lizard. I'm another perfectly happy 340 LCR + 200 surround user.

Me too! :D

Lizard_King
03-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Very Nice. so the 340C and the Htm-200s along with with HSU VTF-2 Mk2 will be a match.

Can I ask you about your HTM-200's? What are they like with music and movies?

Looking forward to your response.

audibleconnoisseur
03-15-2007, 11:21 AM
all of these match well. i will say i think all of us would benefit sound wise from an htm200'se' in the future as they would best match. the 200SE would really push the 200's up in many people's eyes for two channel stereo as well being able to produce smoother and higher frequency top end. the 200s are really great and more than enough for small rooms, computers, simple systems. add a hsu to that (or svs or outlaw, etc) and you would have a really nice home stereo sound in any room that isn't over 3000^3. love to hear them 200 SE's dave!

Dave, what do you think the difference would be in having a 200 size, two way, instead of the three driver design as per quality of sound? wondering what the larger single driver would do v/s the two smaller ones as per bass output (b/c I just don't know 'disclaimer').

bikeman
03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
all of these match well. i will say i think all of us would benefit sound wise from an htm200'se' in the future as they would best match. the 200SE would really push the 200's up in many people's eyes for two channel stereo as well being able to produce smoother and higher frequency top end. the 200s are really great and more than enough for small rooms, computers, simple systems.

I don't think you had joined the Forum yet when this was first posted so I post it one more time.

Hi S_rangeBrew,

Not entirely true... the main benefit of the new SEAS tweeters are a lower resonant frequency.. This allows a low crossover point which is ideal for a loudspeaker that uses a large woofer (like a 6.5" or 5.25"). The larger the woofer, the lower in frequency cone-break up modes begin.

The HTM-200 uses dual 4" woofers, these woofers don't exhibit cone-breakup until 2 full octaves above the crossover point. A lower resonant frequency tweeter is really not needed in this speaker, the many benefits of which would not be fully utilized.

However, I always listen to my customers and if you want the new tweeter in the HTM-200, I can work on it. It will, of course, force a price increase on HTM-200.

Quote:
So, the HTM-200 is undeniably the 2nd-class speaker in the Ascend line now.

I don't agree with that statement... The new tweeter is more suited for use in the CBM-170/CMT-340. Of course I investigated using the new tweeter in the HTM-200. I did not find enough of an improvement that would justify increasing the cost. The new tweeter was designed using our current tweeter as a model...

Hope this helps!
Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/)

BGHD
03-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Can I ask you about your HTM-200's? What are they like with music and movies?

When I switched from 170s to 200s as surrounds (I'm now using the 170s in a 2ch bedroom setup), I really didn't notice any decrease in SQ, particularly for movies. As for music (mainly non-classical SACD/DVDA), I really tried to hear the difference between the 2 speakers, but just couldn't. The 200s have stayed up ever since. But, remember, take my info FWIW, as I don't consider myself to have "golden ears" by any stretch. Plus, gotta consider so many other factors (source, dvd player, room efx, earwax buildup :D , etc).

Lizard_King
03-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks. I have Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD or order from Amazon. I also have IC's son order and will have multi-chanel sometime late next week.

Of course my DVD is unused (brand new), and so is my main pair of IC's. I know break in time is needed and hopefully I can get a good sense soon?

I love what you wrote about the 200's!

Liz

When I switched from 170s to 200s as surrounds (I'm now using the 170s in a 2ch bedroom setup), I really didn't notice any decrease in SQ, particularly for movies. As for music (mainly non-classical SACD/DVDA), I really tried to hear the difference between the 2 speakers, but just couldn't. The 200s have stayed up ever since. But, remember, take my info FWIW, as I don't consider myself to have "golden ears" by any stretch. Plus, gotta consider so many other factors (source, dvd player, room efx, earwax buildup :D , etc).

curtis
03-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks. I have Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD or order from Amazon. I also have IC's son order and wil ahve multi-chanel sometime late next week.
Out of curiosity, which SACD player do you have?

Lizard_King
03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Denon 3930Ci.

Out of curiosity, which SACD player do you have?

curtis
03-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Denon 3930Ci.
Nice!! That should bring you plenty of hi-resolution multichannel musical fun!

Lizard_King
03-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks CC,

I agree. In the summer I will send it out and have it modified . That will make the system sound incredible!

Nice!! That should bring you plenty of hi-resolution multichannel musical fun!