PDA

View Full Version : How are Ascends highs compared to.....

tdogr
03-08-2007, 08:09 PM
JM-Lab Cobalt 816s's?

The cobalt's are to fatiguing on my ears. I am looking to get something less fatiguing but still have great detail.

How do the Ascends compare to NHT Classic 3's?

audibleconnoisseur
03-09-2007, 09:44 AM
I wrote up a thread regarding this and the 826 slthough very short in regards to the JM Labs. Bottom line, four of us liked the 340SE's better in every facet but appearance. Look back a page or two to find "results of spkr shootout" thread and you will see a little on them.

tdogr
03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I wrote up a thread regarding this and the 826 slthough very short in regards to the JM Labs. Bottom line, four of us liked the 340SE's better in every facet but appearance. Look back a page or two to find "results of spkr shootout" thread and you will see a little on them.

thanks, I read some and skimmed some of that article.

I am wondering if the Ascends will be fatiguing. My cobalts do fatigue my ears.

Did you think the Axioms are a fatiguing speaker? That is something I have read about them.

audibleconnoisseur
03-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I do not find the 340SE's fatiguing and I have listened for hours.

I do find the Axioms fatiguing if louder and certainly if the treble is increased! The Axioms are more laid back in their reproduction but are still quite nice. I prefer the Ascend line myself. More revealing and detailed I think. Axiom are great with male reproduction vocals and might have a touch more reverberating bass over punch and I dare say 'precision?" Thus for rap music I may consider the Axiom line b/c they don't focus as much on the vocals and instruments but the mids and bass.

badassfajita
03-10-2007, 01:57 PM
What kind of amp are you using with the 816s? I found neither the newer Focals or the 340SE fatiguing after using the room EQ on my HK 635. Without it, both were too bright sounding. Its probably your room acoustics.

tdogr
03-11-2007, 06:02 PM
What kind of amp are you using with the 816s? I found neither the newer Focals or the 340SE fatiguing after using the room EQ on my HK 635. Without it, both were too bright sounding. Its probably your room acoustics.

I am just using my Yamaha RX-V757 receiver.

I do have drapes, a nice size rug in front of my tv & lcr.

Would it be good to do wall treatment behind the speakers? That is what I plan on doing.

badassfajita
03-11-2007, 07:04 PM
I am just using my Yamaha RX-V757 receiver.

I do have drapes, a nice size rug in front of my tv & lcr.

Would it be good to do wall treatment behind the speakers? That is what I plan on doing.

Treatment at the first point of reflection is always a good idea. As a side thought, those Focals that you have are not the easiest to drive. With an average receiver without some kind of room EQ, they can be awfully bright and tough to listen to. I had the Focal 714V in my home and they were unlistenable without the room EQ. The 816V I heard at Tweeter was horribly bright as they had hardwood floors and no room treatments. With better electronics like Arcam which costs $$$$, the sound would be much more smooth and listenable. Even the 340SE in my room sounded overly bright when turned up without the EQ--ultimately your room makes a HUGE difference in how a speaker sounds. I would suggest you upgrade your receiver possibly or get easier to drive speakers. The 340SE is the best bookshelf I've heard.