PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Cable with my 340C

Lizard_King
02-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Hello,

I would like to ask you about hooking up the 340C. I am thinking of using the Ascend speaker cable which is good performing at a reasonable cost.

What I would like to know is should I use Bi-wiring or a single run and the bridge?

Let me know.

bikeman
03-01-2007, 05:16 AM
What I would like to know is should I use Bi-wiring or asingle run and the bridge?
Bi-wire is for folks who like to do stuff just for the sake of doing stuff. A single run and the bridge will work just as well.

David

drewface
03-01-2007, 07:40 AM
bi-wiring with the cable Ascend sells is EXTREMELY easy due to the fact the cable has 4 separate cables bundled together. i use the speaker cable from ascend for my 340s across the front. on one end, twist the black and white cables together and the red and green cables together (doesn't really matter which pairs you twist together, i used these match-ups due to their colors being opposites of each other). on the other, use the red and black for the tweeter input (red -> red and black -> black) and the green and white for the woofer (green -> red and white -> black).

like david said, bi-wiring is more or less done by people for the sake of doing it, but with it being so easy with the wire ascend sells, i say why not! you only have to run one wire, but you can still get the bi-wire hookup.

audibleconnoisseur
03-01-2007, 08:30 AM
any of you able to put up graphs of the regular wired speakers v/s the bi-wired?

BradJudy
03-01-2007, 08:35 AM
audible,

I've never seen a speaker company or cable company produce differing graphs between bi-wiring and single-wiring, so I wouldn't expect anyone here to do so.

Kingrsl
03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Audioholics has done numerous reviews/articles on speaker wires. I'm not sure about the bi-wire comparison but they covered the speaker gauge/speaker length/wire qaulity topics at length. I would think the bi-wire would fall under speaker gauge comparison.

audibleconnoisseur
03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
audible,

I've never seen a speaker company or cable company produce differing graphs between bi-wiring and single-wiring, so I wouldn't expect anyone here to do so.

I know, I was hoping someone would/could. It seems to be a good topic and many seem to hear differences that they say sound better, so I want to know via graphs what that difference is. Is it really better or just perceived better b/c we want it to be - like a placebo!? If anyone can do this, would be interesting and maybe Dave could make it a sticky for others that are interested...

bikeman
03-01-2007, 03:57 PM
like a placebo!?
Yep. But that dosen't mean what someone hears isn't real. It just means that the complex processor that quantifies the difference is alot closer to the listener than the audio rack. ;)

David

Kingrsl
03-21-2007, 06:04 AM
I haven't finished reading it yet but audioholics has a new article up about bi-wiring.

Bi-Wiring review (http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/bi-wiring-from-amplifier-to-loudspeaker)

Jonnyozero3
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
This issue comes up every so often. I think Dave F has some interesting posts in this forum (somewhere) regarding bi-wiring versus bi-amping. It's a good read. I'll have to look for it...

drewface
03-21-2007, 09:37 PM
i find it interesting that that article more or less says the chances of there being any noticeable changes in the sound of a bi-wired speaker versus a non-bi-wired speaker is pretty slim, and yet so many high end speakers still include the option to bi-wire and often list this feature prominently in their specs. it makes me wonder where the whole idea of bi-wiring came from in the first place and how it got to be such a big headache in the world of audio.

for me, i can't say that i notice any difference between the speakers being bi-wired or not, but i'm going to keep them bi-wired simply because i can. seems like this is one of those things that may never be fully understood by guys like me, and i'm ok with that, but it sure would be nice to have a nice, solid, "this is the way it is" article somewhere that could help clear things up.