PDA

View Full Version : How long until "Subwoofer Announcement" is announced??

sharerware
02-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Now that it's (almost) March, how much longer do we have to wait until the "Subwoofer Announcement" is announced?? :confused:

Quinn
02-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I suspect a while. That it has been ~3 months since Hsu stopped having dealers and Ascend hasn't picked up SVS as a replacement since then is a sign to me that Ascend is seriously considering doing thier own sub(s).

sharerware
02-28-2007, 11:12 AM
I suspect a while. That it has been ~3 months since Hsu stopped having dealers and Ascend hasn't picked up SVS as a replacement since then is a sign to me that Ascend is seriously considering doing thier own sub(s).
I'm sure that whatever they decide will be great. I just don't understand why they won't give us any clues.

Quinn
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm sure that whatever they decide will be great. I just don't understand why they won't give us any clues.

The SE is the only product Ascend has announced that wasn't availible for immediate shipping. But the SEs did ship in about one month. I'm guessing that was so potential buyers would have a little warning that an improved version was coming and Ascend would have fewer returns under the 30 day trial to deal with.

sharerware
02-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Depending on my tax return, I may be able to buy a full set of Ascends for my HT. What should I do about a sub then??? :confused:

ebh
02-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Depending on my tax return, I may be able to buy a full set of Ascends for my HT. What should I do about a sub then??? :confused:

if you've got time and a bit of talent, i think the best advice is probably build your own. :D

a few people on here (at least one or two, right?) have built their own subwoofers. i think most believe that DIY subs are better bang for the buck than anything commercial. once i move, i will build my own (probably a 12" rythmik, or maybe 2 if i can swing it). if you have no WAF issues, building a sonosub/LLT seems to be very popular and powerful. and if you own your own place, and have the setup for it, infinite baffles are supposed to be amazing.

check out the DIY area over at AVS. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155&page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=35&daysprune=60.
i dont have any experience with any of the DIY subs, i just lurk there and lust over some people's projects.

Quinn
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Buy one from Hsu, SVS, or someone else.

Ascend has only had ~3 months from the time Hsu pulled all dealerships. It is darn near impossible they will have a sub of their own designed, beta-ed, parts ordered, manufactured, and shipped to them with-in another couple of months for tax return season. They could become dealers for someone else in that time.

sharerware
02-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Buy one from Hsu, SVS, or someone else.

Ascend has only had ~3 months from the time Hsu pulled all dealerships. It is darn near impossible they will have a sub of their own designed, beta-ed, parts ordered, manufactured, and shipped to them with-in another couple of months for tax return season. They could become dealers for someone else in that time.
That makes sense... but why all the mystery?

BradJudy
02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
No mysteries - Ascend has always kept things quiet until things are in place and ready to go. The only thing surprising here is that they gave any indication of something new to come.

ebh
02-28-2007, 09:00 PM
keeping things quiet makes sense. you don't want to announce something and then have something happen in production or QC to make everything fall apart. just see the issue with Hsu and the HO for evidence about how this can make things look really bad. ascend seems to operate more in the apple vein--don't announce until you can ship (iphone and itv not withstanding).

davef
03-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for being so patient...

We are -still- investigating many different options at this point with no formal direction yet.

Like many have said, we want to get this *right* from the get go. I wish it were simple but as I have learned over the years, nothing is simple ;)

Thanks for all the support!!

ebh
03-26-2007, 08:46 AM
not to go too far with the intrigue or anything, but noticed this quote on AVS yesterday. so i apologize in advance for rumormongoring. :o what caught my eye was "very well respected commercial speaker designer." :cool:

Brian Ding of Rythmik:

I got the chance to visit a very well respected commercial speaker designer this weekend (sorry I cannot reveal his name at this moment). He has designed a dual 12" driver sub ( PR design which extended pretty low and played quite loud). We first played my 15" servo sub and immediately he noticed how clean the bass is. Then we switched to his sub, which only confirmed how clean the directservo sub sounded and how the extra bass energy that he was used to is just distortions that sound more like a bunch of noise unrelated to the instruments themselves. We played blue man's group(?) and each drum impact was just clearly distinguishable with clear resonance decay and other effects (in a less resolving system, multiple drum impacts occured in very short intervals can sound like they all hit at the same time, but blurred). I can feel the bass extension to the very bottom end. After we finished and discuss more technical details, he ask me "all you have done is to add a sensing coil?". Well I say pretty much that is it. Of course I need to add the driver needs to meet certain criteria to be a good driver to start with. But once we pass that milestone, every thing else is piece of cake.

curtis
03-26-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't think that is DaveF. I doubt he is "used to" distortion. :)

Quinn
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I don't think M&K had any passive radiator(PR) designs either.

ebh
03-26-2007, 12:04 PM
hehe makes sense :D

davef
03-27-2007, 05:14 PM
not to go too far with the intrigue or anything, but noticed this quote on AVS yesterday. so i apologize in advance for rumormongoring. :o what caught my eye was "very well respected commercial speaker designer." :cool:

Sorry, that was definitely not us. I know there is a lot of speculation regarding subwoofers and it is something we are diligently evaluating but this does take time.

Please sit tight.. no matter how we proceed, I can assure you that it will be good news and you will be very happy :)

CT_Jeff
05-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Just checking in on this thread. I am getting closer to ordering a sub and was wondering if an announcement is expected soon?

I have been visiting the HSU site, but if it is possible that Ascend is coming out with their own sub, I would really be interested in that.

CT_Jeff

davef
05-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Just checking in on this thread. I am getting closer to ordering a sub and was wondering if an announcement is expected soon? I have been visiting the HSU site, but if it is possible that Ascend is coming out with their own sub, I would really be interested in that.

Our # 1 priority at this time is putting the final touches on another project. Expect an announcement regarding subwoofers sometime in July. :)

Sam1000
05-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Our # 1 priority at this time is putting the final touches on another project. Expect an announcement regarding subwoofers sometime in July. :)

So when do we expect the announcement on another project you just mentioned :cool:

davef
05-10-2007, 10:00 PM
So when do we expect the announcement on another project you just mentioned :cool:

Ah... patience my good man... :p

VERY soon, I promise.

drewface
05-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Ah... patience my good man... :p

VERY soon, I promise.uh oh... am i gonna be tempted to buy more stuff along with the amp and subwoofer i still need/want (not necessarily in that order...) to get?

good thing i'm graduating in 10 days and will hopefully have a full time job soon...

Eddie Horton
05-11-2007, 05:27 AM
A full range Ascend?!! Thanks for the info, Dave. You heard it here first straight from the horse's mouth. Just kidding, of course, but I can dream, can't I?

Quinn
05-11-2007, 08:01 AM
A full range Ascend?!! Thanks for the info, Dave. You heard it here first straight from the horse's mouth. Just kidding, of course, but I can dream, can't I?

Would an Ascend sub(please,please,please!) with your Ascend speakers count for full range? It would be an all Ascend full range set-up.

CT_Jeff
08-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Dave,

Just wondering if there is any update regarding the subwoofers?

"Quote:
Originally Posted by davef
Our # 1 priority at this time is putting the final touches on another project. Expect an announcement regarding subwoofers sometime in July."

I know that you have been busy with something more important than Ascend's much anticipated announcement regarding subwoofer's. So I was just checking in on this thread.

Please don't think I am putting a subwoofer announcement ahead of your family!

Semper Fi!

CT_Jeff

Quinn
08-03-2007, 07:05 AM
My guess is with Dave going back and forth to the East coast, to be with his family with his father's cancer fight, it has been put on the back burner.

davef
08-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Dave,
Just wondering if there is any update regarding the subwoofers?

I know that you have been busy with something more important than Ascend's much anticipated announcement regarding subwoofer's. So I was just checking in on this thread.
CT_Jeff

I apologize for the delays --- We are moving forward on a few different options but we are not at the point yet where I feel comfortable making any formal annoncements. Things are moving a bit slower than I like, my time right now is very limited (unfortunately) but I assure you -- we ARE making progress :)

Sit tight ---

curtis
08-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Sit tight ---
I think that is a code phrase for what the bass is going to be like. :)

drewface
08-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I think that is a code phrase for what the bass is going to be like. :)haha.

i'm REALLY looking forward to what ascend has in store for subs since i still need one for my system... i don't mind the wait right now, though, since i'm planning on buying a car within the next month or so :D

logicology
08-07-2007, 08:05 AM
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on some others. I think I will wait a little while to see what Dave cooks up. Ordinarily I wouldn't wait like that... but after being literally blown away by my new Sierras, I'm certain whatever he does will be worth the wait.

muzz
08-07-2007, 05:51 PM
A Direct Servo Rythmic in a 1" Bamboo cabinet!!!

It'll cost, but........

Maybe ask Brian Ding(or TC Sounds) if they can up the driver to one of the big TC beasts for folks that have $ to burn....
I know they all have different qualities.

I'd bet Dave could come up with something good using a beast in a 3Cu Bamboo enclosure... even if he started from scratch.

drewface
11-22-2007, 11:40 AM
so... 2007 is starting to come to a close, and it's that time of year where people are really into buying stuff, and my system could use a sub...

any update on where ascend is at with the whole "Stay Tuned For An Exciting Announcement Regarding Subwoofers for 2007 and Beyond!!!" thing?

also, happy thanksgiving, everyone!

davef
11-24-2007, 12:02 AM
so... 2007 is starting to come to a close, and it's that time of year where people are really into buying stuff, and my system could use a sub...

any update on where ascend is at with the whole "Stay Tuned For An Exciting Announcement Regarding Subwoofers for 2007 and Beyond!!!" thing?

also, happy thanksgiving, everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

I wish I did have news to report at this time. We are still in an evaluation / negotiation / research phase.

I can't and won't rush this and believe me, you guys will be the very first ones to know when I can release public info ;)

Ascend has an impressive track record of getting products "right" with first releases (no mods, updates, changes etc for many years down the road). Subwoofer(s) will be no different, whether they are our own model or we act as a reseller of another brand (as we did with Hsu Research products for many years).

drewface
11-24-2007, 11:19 AM
sounds good, dave. i guess i'll wait a little longer before deciding on what to do for a sub. there's always other stuff i could add/upgrade to my system. :D