PDA

View Full Version : M&K shuts down?

BradJudy
02-26-2007, 07:35 AM
The M&K website has a posting that the factory has been closed:

http://mksound.com/

DaveF - any thoughts on your old employer?

bikeman
02-26-2007, 07:55 AM
It dosen't appear that M&K is shutting down, just closing their factory. They're another in a very long line of companies moving production off-shore. Wonder who's factory got the business?

David

BradJudy
02-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Have you seen any news that they are just moving factories? Placing that statement on the front page without any clarification implies a significant shutdown in my book. Companies generally file a factory move in a small press release if they say anything at all.

bikeman
02-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Have you seen any news that they are just moving factories?
No news. Their website remains unchanged. If they were going to fold the business instead of just shutting down the plant, I'd expect them to say so. I'm sure more will come out if it's an actual cessation of business.

David

davef
02-26-2007, 06:09 PM
It is my understanding that they are completely shut down and every employee (including the sales force) has been let go.

I know it might be difficult to accept but I strongly doubt that the business itself will continue to operate at any level. I won't publicly share what I know or what I have known for many years, but let me just say that I am not surprised by this.

I am deeply saddened though and I have some dear friends who are jobless right now -- no advanced warnings were given but the *signs* were obvious for all to see.

I have read many of the various online posts and there is a lot of misinformation being shared, speculation and hope is a good thing but I am quite confident that M&K is permanently shut down.

M&K was a pioneer in the industry and I am very proud to have been an important part of that company during its best years.

BradJudy
02-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Wow - they are indeed gone. I suspected that they weren't foolish enough to post something like that if it was just a factory move.

Thanks for the info Dave.

chas
02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
M&K was a pioneer in the industry and I am very proud to have been an important part of that company during its best years.

Dave - did you open Ascend right after leaving M&K ?

davef
02-26-2007, 06:31 PM
You are very welcome Brad...

I have so many mixed emotions about this that sway between anger and sadness. Mostly I have been thinking about some of the GREAT times I had there, including working directly with Ken on many various projects, wonderful conversations with the late Dr. Lester Field, enjoying the warm and friendly company of the late Jonas Miller (one of the nicest guys in the world) and all the fun I would have with the production crew (still unable to drink cheap Tequilla anymore ;) )

Dave - did you open Ascend right after leaving M&K ?

No -- I took about a year off from "regular" employment and spent that time doing consulting work while also designing the CBM-170 and HTM-200. THAT was a fun year for me :D

BradJudy
02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
No -- I took about a year off from "regular" employment and spent that time doing consulting work while also designing the CBM-170 and HTM-200. THAT was a fun year for me :D

"Consulting work" - is that what they call racquetball these days? :D

davef
02-26-2007, 06:56 PM
"Consulting work" - is that what they call racquetball these days? :D

Ha... If there was ever any money in racquetball, you guys would own different loudspeakers :D ...... and I would still be in good shape :o

curtis
02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
This CEPro article was posted on AVS today:

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/17789.html

cyberbri
03-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Yes, it is sad when a good company goes out of business like that. I believe they were the first THX speaker company and I think there's a lot of history there.

Just hopeful speculation on my part, Dave, so feel free not to respond. But with some good speaker designers out of work (who you may have been working with), maybe Ascend will be expanding in the near future with some more speakers, lines, even some subs. :D

davef
03-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Dave, so feel free not to respond. But with some good speaker designers out of work (who you may have been working with), maybe Ascend will be expanding in the near future with some more speakers, lines, even some subs. :D

Well, all of the good engineers left years ago.... Kidding of course... ;)

bikeman
03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
.. Kidding of course... ;)
sure. :p

David

Jonnyozero3
03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
This is really too bad.

On a upward note - I hope some of these displaced people find some...erm...good jobs ;)