PDA

View Full Version : Rotel RX-1052 or Outlaw RR2150

CraigT
02-25-2007, 11:48 AM
I sold my home theater system and am going to 2 channel. The Outlaw and Rotel intergrated receivers are on the short list though I haven't entirely ruled out the NAD C720BEE. Any opinions on the rotel vs. outlaw?

One thing I'm curious about is subwoofer integration. With the Outlaw bass management is pretty simple. Since the Rotel has no sub out I'd have to run through the speaker level crossover on the sub...let's just assume it's a HSU. Will running the though the speaker lever crossover not sound as good as using receiver's line level analog crossover? A while back I tried using a HSU's speaker lever crossover and was not impressed though there may have been other factors involved.

Anyway, any help or opinions are appreciated. Thanks :)

BradJudy
02-25-2007, 01:27 PM
As you mention, the Outlaw will do real bass management (it's even done in the analog domain). The main problem with using the speaker level pass-through on your Hsu is that the speaker will still receive a full range signal, so you'll be using the sub, but it won't really be off-loading work from the speakers. It's a much less ideal way to integrate speakers and sub IMO.

Given the very good feedback on the Outlaw unit, I'd take that direction if it was my choice.

CraigT
02-25-2007, 02:21 PM
As you mention, the Outlaw will do real bass management (it's even done in the analog domain). The main problem with using the speaker level pass-through on your Hsu is that the speaker will still receive a full range signal, so you'll be using the sub, but it won't really be off-loading work from the speakers. It's a much less ideal way to integrate speakers and sub IMO.

Given the very good feedback on the Outlaw unit, I'd take that direction if it was my choice.

For some reason I thought that the HSU crossover filtered out the lows going to the speaker. I was probably doubling some of the bass frequencies then.

BradJudy
02-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I thought they did too, but I mentioned it on their forum once and was corrected.