PDA

View Full Version : Video Games

cfrench25
02-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Has anyone played a good amount of video games (Xbox 360 perhaps) with an Ascend setup? Something like 170 (L,R) 340 (C), and 200 (rears).

dpristin
02-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I have – I’m not really that much into gaming, but I play every once in a while and watch my kids playing. Nothing too violent though (the most violent is Madden NFL), so I can’t tell you how some combat simulation would sound. I can assure you though that Ascends will reveal all there is in the sound track. In my setup 360 is connected to the receiver via optical out; and as far as the gaming experience goes, the speakers sound great – imaging, ambience etc. Music is different. I tried to stream my FLAC collection wirelessly from a PC using TVersity and I didn’t like the way it sounds (kind of “mushy”); apparently the 360’s sound card re-samples the data and who knows what else it does, so I wouldn’t recommend using 360 for music, but that’s not Ascends’ fault anyway. Gaming with Ascends is excellent.

cfrench25
02-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Dpristin:
That's great info. Thanks a lot for the response.

P.s. Wasn't planning on playing music through my 360 anyways :)

drewface
02-22-2007, 06:10 PM
i've got a wii, snes, nes, and ps2 all hooked up through my ascends, and they sound great. legend of zelda: twilight princess is the only game i've played on the setup so far that really takes advantage of the surround sound setup, but i must say that it added quite a bit to the experience, especially in times where stuff is happening behind the character. for example, if you put a bomb down and run away, the explosion comes from behind you.

also, when i'm playing the older systems, i run it without any sound processing, and the good old 8-bit soundtracks are incredible in a good stereo setup. (assuming you enjoy classic 8-bit music!)

MichaelG
02-22-2007, 09:03 PM
I have a PS3 hooked up with an optical cable out and the surround sound for my racing game, Need for Speed, is intense! They sound great!

Michael

musicforme
02-23-2007, 04:36 AM
I have three 340se's across with a HK 635 and a SVS sub. They get a lot of use with my 360. No rear speakers as there is no good place to put them and keep the high WAF I currently have.

I've been playing Rainbow Six: Las Vegas pretty heavy since it came out, and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter before it. The sound of the games are quite nice and the details I'm able to hear help me know where things are going on due to the surround sound. The downloadable movie trailers sound good as well and make for an easy way to locate something to show off the speakers for guests.

Due to the size of my house (2,000 sq ft), I have to keep the HK at no higher than -40 otherwise my wife complains she can't concentrate when on the computer on the other side of the house. When she's not home, I crank it up to around -25 or so and the 360 is plenty loud and clear.

Kingrsl
02-23-2007, 04:01 PM
The Ascends sound great with games. I have both a Xbox 360 and a PS3. My setup is 340s up front with 170s in the rear. The surround is incredible with these speakers with all the types of games I play: Need for Speed, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Ridge Racer. I have both systems hooked up to a Sony 5200 ES receiver and played through the Ascends with a HSU VTF-2 MK3 sub.

BGHD
02-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Xbox 360 w/ 340 LCR + 200 surrounds + VTF3MKII w/ Pio elite receiver. Everything sounds great to me (Gears of War, Kameo, COD3). Seems to handle dialogue, surround action and lows perfectly. No complaints at all...except from my wife and kid. :)

ebh
02-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Has anyone played a good amount of video games (Xbox 360 perhaps) with an Ascend setup? Something like 170 (L,R) 340 (C), and 200 (rears).

that's exactly my setup, and it's awesome. the only thing you need to add to that is a capable subwoofer, and you will have an amazing time with video games. i play a lot of wii on my setup, and the sound in zelda and wii sports is excellent (even tho its plxII and not pure 5.1), and a friend brought over a 360 and GRAW was just awesome (footsteps and wind rustling in the rears, localized bullet impact--i gotta get me a 360 at some point).

cyberbri
03-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I have 3x 340SEs, 2x 170SEs, Hsu VTF-3 Mk2 (eq'd with a BFD), bass traps and room treatments.

I'm big on the Xbox 360, mainly shooters but I play other games too. I have all of the main shooters out (probably pick up GRAW 2 soon).

Crackdown's has some of the best audio in any game lately. The music selection may be suspect, arguably, but it's not supposed to be current-day, but 10 years or whatever in the future. But the sound design is amazing. I listened to the interview with the sound designer on Major Nelson's pod cast and learned some amazing things. But just from playing, the explosions are seriously loud and powerful, and you can hear gunfire and explosions in the far-off distance (even explosions on the other end of the map) and they sound like they are way far off. You can get out of a car and with the car door open, the music coming from the car sounds like it's coming from a car with its door open. There's bullets and rockets whizzing by. The sound is really spectacular. Best explosions in any game.

Another great one for sound is Lost Planet. Playing online, all the explosions sound great (I say 2nd best after Crackdown), and there's a big variety of weapons with really great sound design. Story mode has some great 'holy $#!t!!!' moments too, with giant creatures like you wouldn't believe.

But the audio and directional is great on the 360. Even the original Xbox had great audio - it could encode DD in real-time for true directional audio (PS2 could only do Pro Logic II in-game, DD possible but not in-game).

Kpt_Krunch
03-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I have a 360 and the HD-DVD player with it.

I can tell you right now the sound from the HD-DVD is horrible.

Has nothing to do with my speakers (340's across the front, 170's for surrounds - both classics) or the H/K receiver or amp, it's the 360!

Playing games only, it's quite ummmm, well, lets put it this way - you've read how 'revealing' these speakers sound - I DARE you to sit down at 3am with all the lights out and play F.E.A.R. in a surround setup. The subtle sounds you hear you'd swear are in your home, not in the game - and given the ambiance of the game itself, it makes for quite an experience.

BTW - I've only played it in the middle of the day with all the lights on (and only on sunny days too) - so if anyone has played this thing on an Ascend setup at 3am, tell me how it is :D

BGHD
03-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I have a 360 and the HD-DVD player with it.

I can tell you right now the sound from the HD-DVD is horrible.

Has nothing to do with my speakers (340's across the front, 170's for surrounds - both classics) or the H/K receiver or amp, it's the 360!

What's 'horrible' about it? I've considered the HDDVD add-on, but have been hesitant because of the lack of HDMI and multichannel analog outs, which I believe is needed for DD+, TrueHD, etc. So, does the improved PQ make up for the shortcomings in sound?

cyberbri
03-11-2007, 03:32 PM
There is an issue with DD+ where the dynamics are somehow reduced. It is supposed to be fix in the upcoming spring Dashboard update.

cfrench25
03-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses everyone. Has pretty much solidified my decision.

And about playing FEAR at 3am. Yeah right! I played the demo during the day, sans surround sound, and scared the living s#*& out of myself.

audibleconnoisseur
03-14-2007, 05:00 AM
The subtle sounds you hear you'd swear are in your home, not in the game - and given the ambiance of the game itself, it makes for quite an experience.

I want to clarify... did you mean to say that you were in the game, NOT at your home? I don't think the above makes much sense. I have not played this game yet but hope to soon when I pick up the gaming system. What is it like?

ajt976
03-14-2007, 06:51 AM
I think the Ascends do an awesome job for games, especially ones that are heavy in dialogue. Right now I've got 340's in front running off an HK635. Need for speed carbon sounds great, but what I like to show people are the FPS games like Resistance. Playing small games with only a few people are the best...there you are, all by your lonesome with 2 other people out there looking to destroy you. Off in the distance you hear the faint clatter of the M5A2, whipping off a few rounds...is that one of them, I don't know. All the sudden you hear something come from your 8 o'clock, turn around...nothing. Then out of no where out pops your enemy, and well...you all know the rest. :D

Get the speakers, play your games, and maybe you should go and get that security blanket if you decide to play with the lights off. :p

Kingrsl
03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
The Ascends are excellent for games! My friends have the same games as me for the 360 and without a doubt think my setup sounds ALOT better than theirs.

Kpt_Krunch
03-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I want to clarify... did you mean to say that you were in the game, NOT at your home? I don't think the above makes much sense. I have not played this game yet but hope to soon when I pick up the gaming system. What is it like?

No, I'm in my home. There's a a lot of subtle creaks and sounds that seems like the sound is ' in your home', not 'in the game' (though it is in the game). :)

Kpt_Krunch
03-16-2007, 02:20 PM
What's 'horrible' about it? I've considered the HDDVD add-on, but have been hesitant because of the lack of HDMI and multichannel analog outs, which I believe is needed for DD+, TrueHD, etc. So, does the improved PQ make up for the shortcomings in sound?

Yep - cibergbri is correct. I sounds like you put sleeping bags over your speakers. The picture is fantastic, but I prefer the sound for a true h/t experience. I just hope MS comes out with that patch soon!

BGHD
03-16-2007, 02:50 PM
OK thanks. Actually, I found Blockbuster.com has quite a few HDDVDs for rent w/o any extra fees that I'm aware of, so just pulled the trigger on the add-on recently (waiting for shipment). Hopefully the fix will come soon though.

To stay on topic, I think generally, speakers that are good for movies should be more than adequate for gaming.