PDA

View Full Version : Big Room, best option for under a grand?

jemmett
02-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Room is 23x23 with high ceilings. Can bookshelves work in an area that big? I would prefer bookshelves because I don't want my young kids to be able to bang up my new purchase!

If bookshelves do work, will the 170's be big enough? What sub would work in a room this size? I am thinking of going 2.1 until I can afford the rest of the setup... that a good idea instead of going cheaper on a 5.1?

audibleconnoisseur
02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
how high are your ceilings?

i have a 16x16x18h room with openings so about 4500cuft. first off, i would strongly recommend the 340SE's and not the 170's b/c of the volume of your room. the 170's will do well but the 340's will be proper and you will be more satisfied with the sound in this area.

i also have the 2.3 and it is more than i need with 16Hz trolling tones and more than enough thump to keep the air busy! depending on the size, the 3.3 might be a better option but I think with your budget the 2.3 would be better. now, if you are considering a 2.1, you can do all of these for around $1K. if you want more, you will have to bend the budget or drop to the 170's. with speakers, i would strongly suggest that you budget more for better quality and sound, don't limit yourself to $1K if you can bend a little for the 340's and 3.3 (w/ or w/o turbo) or even the HO, call Hsu on this one though. test few subs for your benefit but from experience... the HSU are awesome!

Pab
02-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I have a room about that big with 20' ceilings and opening up to several other large open spaces.

I currently use two pairs of JBL S38 three way speakers (two on each side in parallel and each rated at 175 watts) supplemented with two Sunfire Signature subs. They do fine in filling the room. I am driving them with an Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver.

The only issue is that the speakers are higher than ear level when seated so the sound is centered a little higher than you would normally hear from floor standing speakers. Also in a room this size you may tend to get a more of a sound decay than in smaller rooms. My is about 0.3 seconds which I really like, especially when listening to pipe organ music.

It will be interesting to hear what others say.

jemmett
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
how high are your ceilings?

It is a slanted ceiling. I am guessing, but I think it starts at 10 feet, and goes to about 16. there are skylights as well.

Also, I am a bit confused by what you mean by 3.3 and 2.3. I am a noob!

jemmett
02-22-2007, 06:19 AM
So here is what I have decided...

TV - 42PX600U - $1279

AV123 x-ls 5.1 system - $861

Onkyo TX-SR504 - refurbished receiver - $169

cables $100

Total = $2409

No this doesn't include any stands or wall mounts. I still have to figure this out.... hows it look?

audibleconnoisseur
02-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Gotcha...

2.3 and 3.3 are referring to the HSU model. Example, you will either see the following, STF-1,2, or 3; VTF-2 MK 3; VTF-3 MK 2, etc. The 2.3 would refer to the newer VTF-2 MK 3 (MK 3 being the newest line). You will have to look back through these threads, or better yet the subwoofer link at the main HSU page will show you what is here and available through HSU. The 2.3 is a 12" sub with a 250W amp and the 3.3 is a 12" sub with a 350W amp. I would spend a moment on the main page under the subwoofer section for more information about them: http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

audibleconnoisseur
02-22-2007, 06:46 AM

TV - 42PX600U - $1279

cables $100

Total = $2409

No this doesn't include any stands or wall mounts. I still have to figure this out.... hows it look?

I am going to speak to your speaker setup only... there have been many reviews I have seen about the 5.1 from av123. I am NOT saying they are not good, but you can do much better (in my opinion) with an Ascend and HSU setup. I can't recall the site or link for the review about the x-ls system but if I find it later I will put it up. Here is one for x-ls set up: http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/av123_xls_xsub.htm now, consider what they were saying and how they compared it to the M22 from Axiom... I tested the Axiom M22v2 and the 340SE from Ascend and the Ascend system is in my home! As such, here is a link to the 170 from Ascend from the same site: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/ascend_cbm170_cmt340c.htm please note that the 170's reviewed are NOT the 170SE which is a better and newest version of the award winning 170 speaker. The 340SE's are even better than the 170SE's and offer a 10Hz deeper sound than the x-ls. The SEAS tweeter is incredible and smooth and found in MUCH more expensive speakers. I will guarantee you the 340's will win in the higher ends. The x-ls sub is a 150W amp with 28Hz depth. The HSU VTF-2 MK 3 that I have is trolling 18Hz ratings but I continuously hear 16Hz tones from it! It also can be switched to 25Hz max output mode and will slam your home with all kinds of pressure for music and movies.

I could go on but if you have the cash, I would get the 340SE mains, the 340SE center and to help save some case, the HTM200 surrounds. If you are all about 5.1 music, look at the CBM170SE's for surrounds. If you want to save a little, 170SE's around and decide on your center when you can but the 340SE center is the best from Ascend. FYI, the STF-3 and STF-2 and any of the VTF series (MK 3) will out perform the x-ls sub that is being offered! When I bought my setup, I picked up the 340s up front and 200s rear and 2.3 sub - I was out of pocket about $1500 but the cost was more than worth it!!

jemmett
02-22-2007, 07:16 AM
thanks for the advice. For me eventually it all comes down to cost. I am already spending more than I wanted to on this system. It seems that for the money, the av123 system is the best around for under a grand. If I had extra spending money I would go with what you suggested.

However, let me ask you this. How would it sound if i started out with just the 340SE mains with a STF-2. Could I live with this for a year, and then add the center and backs?

sensibull
02-22-2007, 07:35 AM
However, let me ask you this. How would it sound if i started out with just the 340SE mains with a STF-2. Could I live with this for a year, and then add the center and backs?

I am going to jump in here and say "abso-friggin-lutely!" Over and over you hear the advice from experienced audio heads that if you can't afford a quality surround system, buy very good mains until you can, and I heartily agree. It staves off the inevitable upgrade and saves you money in the long run. Actually, if you check out the system advisor link, you can get 340SE L/C/R for only $838 plus $48 shipping (not sure if your XLS price included shipping). All of which is assuming that the Ascends meet your WAF/aesthetic wants/needs...

p.s. FWIW, I actually prefer the HTMs for surround duty over their bulkier big brothers. Unless multi-channel music is your thing, the sacrifices are minimal.

audibleconnoisseur
02-22-2007, 08:07 AM
sensibull has a great point I neglected to mention... Since you are in a budget, let's think about the 340SE's and a quality sub first, then upgrade/add as you go. I know you have an offer for $319 on the STF-2 but I do feel since you will be upgrading/adding on later, I would STRONGLY consider the VTF-2 MK 2 or VTF-2 MK 3. With the 2.2 you will match your output in depth and slighly higher sound but have a better sub that is variable tuning (as is the 2.3) and stronger amp. With the 2.3 you will get another 5-6Hz drop in your sound, have the ability to change from max output and max extension and ultimately be happier during HT as well as music. Yes, it is more expensive but there are times when you should opt for the heated seats just because you can and thus have the choice to use them or not. It is, afterall, cold enough about 1/3 of the year here in GA to use/need them if you want!

bikeman
02-22-2007, 08:43 AM
I am going to jump in here and say "abso-friggin-lutely!"
As a happy owner of both the X-LS's and the 340's, I thinks Sens is right on the money. Don''t let a 5.1 system cripple your long-term audio experience. Start with the L/R or L/R/C of your choice and don't look back. The smile on your face in a year or two will more than compensate for the wait on surrounds.

David

audibleconnoisseur
02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
about my suggestion on the 2.2 or 2.3 v/s the STF-2? I think he would be better suited with the VTF series, yea?

Marc
02-22-2007, 09:14 AM

TV - 42PX600U - $1279

cables $100

Total = $2409

I would recommend buying the best speakers you can. Speakers have more longevity than many other components in a home theatre setup. You may very well have to upgrade your reciever or TV before feeling any need to upgrade a quality set of speakers. I would try my best to get a L/R/C 340se setup.

bikeman
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
about my suggestion on the 2.2 or 2.3 v/s the STF-2? I think he would be better suited with the VTF series, yea?
I've only heard the STF-1 so I can't comment on the subs you've mentioned.

David

jemmett
02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
and what about only getting the l/r speakers right now without the sub? How would that sound?

jemmett
02-22-2007, 10:21 AM
ok, so putting it together....

CMT-340 SE PAIR $568 + $26
VTF-2 MK 3 Subwoofer $499 + $53 shipping

$1146 for the system.... without a reciever... is the Onkyo TX-SR504 - refurbished receiver for $169 good enough to get the job done for now?

That would bring it to $1315, not too bad... add that to the 1300 TV, and the whole thing is just over $2500

audibleconnoisseur
02-22-2007, 10:48 AM
That would be quality. I think you are doing right by the 2.3 up front. Also, a lot of people like the Denon and HK with their Ascends. They are not cheap so the Onkyo should be fine for now. Make sure it is in good shape though b/c you underpower a speaker and that is when the main issues begin! That TV you mentioned are listed at a few places for around $1000 so head up there if you are comfortable with ordering online. That could save you a couple hundred! Send us shots if you get this and set it up ;)

jemmett
02-22-2007, 11:13 AM
You say 'Make sure it is in good shape though b/c you underpower a speaker and that is when the main issues begin!'

If I get it from the onkyo site refurbed I shouldn't have a problem right? In some cases does the reciever start to underpower the speakers?

audibleconnoisseur
02-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Don't have concern just yet. I am saying to make sure that what you are getting is powerful enough. If you like loud music and you are using a 50W amp, you will have issues at the higher output level. I think you are @ 75W/ch so you should be fine, just heads up if you wanna get loud and proud! You should be fine... reviews seem ok on it

Most refurb units perform as "like new" units so you should be fine. Just saying to have heads up on who refurbed and when and see if you can find out what went wrong in the first place. Also, check online to see if these units are doing this a lot... may say something to the quality of that PARTICULAR unit. "Consumer research" is key when buying online especially! ;)

bikeman
02-22-2007, 12:15 PM
is the Onkyo TX-SR504 - refurbished receiver for $169 good enough to get the job done for now?
It'll get the job done now and well into the future. Upgraditus will overtake you before the actual need to upgrade does. Nice set-up.

David

jemmett
02-26-2007, 04:45 AM
I want to run one more idea by you guys. What is I initially bought the VTF-2 MK 3 with 2 HSU HB-1s. Then later bought the CMT-340 SE and moved the HB1s to the rears. That way I could save some money up front.

Also, I am having a hard time convincing the wife. She thinks the big speakers will look ugly!!! She even suggested that we put them behind the TV. I said i don't think that will work so well :) If we start with the smaller bookshelves, then she could get used to them before I upgrade to bigger ones.

Thoughts?

bikeman
02-26-2007, 07:05 AM
I want to run one more idea by you guys. What is I initially bought the VTF-2 MK 3 with 2 HSU HB-1s. Then later bought the CMT-340 SE and moved the HB1s to the rears. That way I could save some money up front.

Also, I am having a hard time convincing the wife. She thinks the big speakers will look ugly!!! She even suggested that we put them behind the TV. I said i don't think that will work so well :) If we start with the smaller bookshelves, then she could get used to them before I upgrade to bigger ones. Thoughts?
Lots of us have been and still are in your shoes. It is my experience that women don't generally "get used to them" in a time frame that is remotely acceptable.
The 340 is actually narrower than the HB-1 and it's the width that is generally the hang up. A taller speaker presents a narrower profile as well. When I was shopping for new speakers initially, my wife shot down the 170's because of their shape, not their size. She "allowed me" ( :o ) to bring the 340's into the house because they were less obvious. The narrow profile combined with the subduded black finish was a winner. The fact that they sounded better than anything she had heard previously didn't hurt a bit either.
It's a tough situation with no easy answer but I'd encourage you to present the 340's as being less, or at least no more obvious than the HB-1's. Good luck and let us know what happens.

David

scottyh
02-26-2007, 11:12 AM

TV - 42PX600U - $1279

cables $100

Total = $2409

Wow im surprised no one has advised to put the money spent on cables elsewhere.. Check out monoprice.com !