PDA

View Full Version : What size drillbit should I use for omnimount 20s?

dan121
02-02-2007, 09:35 AM
The screw is pretty big and the one included is a tiny little joke

anyone have any tips on how to get these things done?

BradJudy
02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
The included drillbit should be appropriate (it was for mine IIRC). Pre-drilling holes for wood screws is just to prevent the wood from splitting, you want to be sure the hole is still small to allow for a strong grip.

BGHD
02-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Depending on the hardness of wood, I usually pre-drill with a bit that's about the same or slightly smaller than the "core" of the screw (i.e. what's left if threads were removed).

dan121
02-03-2007, 08:43 AM
I found the right size bit and it allowed the screw to go in with the drill, but it gets to about inch out and wont go in anymore

its a close to 22volt drill too

any idea? I was able to get the drill to the wall with the bit too, but it was too short I guess

I am suppose to use the long screws included right?

EDIT:power was fully charged too

audibleconnoisseur
02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
and see what might be in the way if anything. Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk to your mental health and it is possible to damage a speaker if you are not careful!

dan121
02-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I havent even connected the speaker, I am talking about the wall.

It's normal drywall as far as I know over a stud.

I seriously HATE these instructions they included and it is almost as helpful as not including anything for me at least.

All I was able to get done so far was get the ball attached to the speaker which was easy, but now I am trying to get the other thing attached to the wall.

Kingrsl
02-03-2007, 10:55 AM
If you are drilling into a stud the 2 1/2" (if I remember correctly), then it may be tough for a drill towards the end. I just cranked down the clutch settings on my drill to make it all the way in. The same thing goes for the screw.

BGHD
02-03-2007, 03:01 PM
All I was able to get done so far was get the ball attached to the speaker which was easy, but now I am trying to get the other thing attached to the wall.
Sounds like you just need to drill farther in, at least the length of the screw. If adequate depth, use the next larger drillbit.

Or, maybe you hit a knot or something??? As you've gone in a bit already, doesn't sound like a nailplate (metal plate placed over the stud to protect any wiring running behind it), so not sure what else is going on.

audibleconnoisseur
02-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Sometimes they don't put those plates on there so you might be hitting some wiring, pipe, something like this. Good luck and be careful!