PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy

scottyh
02-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Just wanted to check with the good old Ascend Crew before I pull the trigger on a new receiver. I think ive finally decided on the Pioneer VS-X82TXS which I found a good deal for only $800. just curious if anyone has any experience with the Ascends and this receiver or if someone would recomend a better receiver for that price. Thanks

audibleconnoisseur
02-02-2007, 05:31 AM
I will be testing the Pio81 this next week or so. It is apparently the same sound wise as the 82, only a few less watts. I will offer my opinion on the amp when I am finished - if you can wait a week. I am not a pro, nor claim to be one, but I do have hearing above and below the regular spectrum so if it is there... I will hear it! problem is that I don't know your taste, nor you - mine. I will also be comparing the HK645 and Denon2807. So far I have done minimal listening at very low levels around -50dB and at this level, I like both the Denon1905 (I currently have) and the Pioneer 81 with a VERY slight edge to the P81.

BTW, $800 for the Pio82 is a great deal. Where did you find it?

scottyh
02-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah sounds good thanks! That will be nice because the Denon 2807 was among my top choices as well.

audibleconnoisseur
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I have done a bit more testing. PE81, to me, is not worth the extra coin for what VERY SMALL sound difference that it exibits. The Pio81 is quality and clear and might have a 5%-10% improvement over the D1905 but both do well at all levels. So far I will be keeping my Denon 1905 and the PE81 will be headed back this weekend.

Now to the Denon 2807 and a few more hours of 60dB & 80dB listening.... ok, maybe more dB's, but whose counting :p

scottyh
02-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Hows that 2807 comin along audible?

audibleconnoisseur
02-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Well, it is fine. It is still sitting in the box as I haven't gotten to it yet. I just finished testing the PE81 v/s my D1905 this past weekend. Last night I was coaching and then... "24" and then I fell asleep really early so I didn't get to it. I will have it out and operational tonight. I am packing up the PE81 to return next week.

FYI, I am not doing anything but testing the sound of them. I am not interested in the video, etc of the units. Matter of fact, I am only running 2ch stereo - flat - and not even the sub (LFE) out of them. All things being equal, it is the mains that I am most intersted in so I need to let all of you know this.

I should have answers later this weekend or next week. Sorry for so long but you can imagine that outside of me being busy with work and wife, I also have a decent schedule coaching kids in soccer. Glad you are all here!