PDA

View Full Version : How do SVS Subs sound with Ascend Speakers?

yuuko
01-29-2007, 09:28 PM
I was wondering how the SVS PB10-NSD sound with a pair of CBM-170SE.

audibleconnoisseur
01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Sir, you don't know what you are about to get into here.... Let me keep it simple as I can for you - both HSU and SVS are highly regarded here and both will do a great job for you as long as you don't have an auditorium to fill! I personally have the VTF-2 MK 3 and a 4500cuft room to fill and it does an outstanding job - especially for the money! Good luck and you will be fine with either!

SeattleDucks
01-31-2007, 10:44 AM
I was wondering how the SVS PB10-NSD sound with a pair of CBM-170SE.

I own the SVS PB12-NSD and CBM-170SE mains and after much listening I found the SVS did not integrate with the sound signature of the Ascends as well as I would have liked, so I purchased the HSU VTF-3 MK3 and to my ears in my room I find it a much better fit for the Ascend sound - the HSU is musical, accurate, and clean. Both music and movies are reproduced with a stunning combination of naturalness and power.

The slightly smaller VTF-2 MK3 is another killer value in the new HSU lineup with excellent performance for only $469. The -3 MK3 has higher max output than the -2 so works better in real large rooms and it's also a steal at $649.

Jonnyozero3
01-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, with Hsu's current sale, you'd almost be nuts not to spring for the VTF-2 MkIII. It essentially is what the VTF-3 mkII used to be, but for a ton less money (used to be like $699 or $599). The PB10 has good output for HT, but I doubt it could hold a candle to the -3MkII which competes with the bigger, pricier SVSs.

My bias - I'm a VTF-3HO Turbo owner, and I haven't heard any SVS subs.

cyberbri
02-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Ascend is a reseller of Hsu subs. (I got my VTF-3 Mk2 through Ascend when I got my whole package).

That should tell you something. ;)

curtis
02-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Ascend is a reseller of Hsu subs. (I got my VTF-3 Mk2 through Ascend when I got my whole package).

That should tell you something. ;)
To be fair though, as if right now.....nobody is a Hsu reseller, not even Ascend.

cyberbri
02-05-2007, 08:48 AM
To be fair though, as if right now.....nobody is a Hsu reseller, not even Ascend.

Yes. At least in the past, Hsu has worked with Ascend. But for Hsu, now that they are making bookshelf speakers of their own, perhaps that is a factor behind what is going on now.

audibleconnoisseur
02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
I was told from HSU that they are trying to fully cut out all middlemen so they can focus on the market themselves and keep the cost as LOW as possible. However, I think that the decision is a strong one for saving the end user cash, but a poor one b/c think about how many people buy HSU subs from Ascend to match their speakers with such quality! It is one of those gambles they will have to take but I hope from this comes the good Dr. and Dave getting together to bang out one for Ascend with the Ascend logo on it! Imagine that... the Dr. and Dave with their two vast knowlege and experience in the same room, drawing the same product on the same paper! Some of the best getting better!?!?! :cool:

Jonnyozero3
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I imagine margins are pretty slim over at Hsu, considering their aggressive price cuts this year.

shane55
02-05-2007, 11:00 PM
When I owned all 170's my SVS pb10 ISD was a great match. It is still a great match with my 340's all-around.:D

As has been said many times, you won't go wrong with either the HSU, SVS or Outlaw subs.

Good luck.

shane

ClutchBrake
02-09-2007, 02:11 PM
As others have said, you won't go wrong with SVS or Hsu. The Man (Dave) has both and has said the same thing.

Determine your budget and audio needs then purchase the corresponding SVS/Hsu that you find most aesthetically pleasing.

And for the record I've been a happy SVS and Ascend owner for years. I've been recommending Hsu for just as long.

cyberbri
02-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Or Rocket subs from AV123.com, which share sound quality with HSU and feature very, very nice finishes.