PDA

View Full Version : Any headphone recommendations from Ascend owners?

BGHD
01-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Expecting baby #2 soon, so looking for decent set of headphones. I've checked headfi.com and, no pun intended, all the headphone recommendations are making my head spin. Ones that are catching my attention so far are Sennheiser hd555 and hd595, Beyer DT770 and Audio Technica A900. Any other recs from fellow Ascend owners?

I have a set of Sony MDR-xd400 that I picked-up blind for about $70 at the Good Guys clearance sale and I'm not pleased with the sound (muffled, hollow sound, overall poor frequency range). Please help.

Preferences:
-$100-150; absolute max $200 out-the-door
-mainly movies & gaming (xbox 360 and PC games) and only some music
-fairly lightweight & not incredibly bulky
-don't really know, but probably prefer ones that do not require additional amp
-noise cancelling not necessary as it will generally be quiet environs

BradJudy
01-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I currently own Senn HD-600's, Grado SR-225's and Ety ER-6's. I used to own Grado SR-80s and AudioTechnica ATH-A900's. Unfortunately, I haven't tried most of the ones on your list.

The A900's were nice, but not as good as either the HD-600's or SR-225's IMO. Plus, I didn't care for their plastic leather earpads.

I think everything you mentioned is bulky, but they aren't too heavy. I tried on either the 555's or 595's in a store - they were pretty light, but just as big as my HD-600s.

airs
01-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Amazon has the HD-580's right now for $125. I got my pair last week and they sound excellent.

Sam1000
01-27-2007, 10:08 PM
After doing some research on the net, I have ordered Grado SR80 from Amazon. I haven't received it yet. They are about $100 with shipping. WOuld have ordered sr-225, but I had spent most of my audio money on Ascends in the past year :-)

BGHD
01-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Amazon has the HD-580's right now for $125. I got my pair last week and they sound excellent.
Yeah, saw that deal too. I read that's an excellent deal but that it neends an amp to get the most out of them. I have a Pio 74txvi receiver and the specs don't mention anything about it having powered headphone output. Is it common to have this in a receiver? Does it really matter with the 580, or are the headfi folks a bit hardcore?

bikeman
01-28-2007, 04:38 AM
Does it really matter with the 580, or are the headfi folks a bit hardcore?
There is a hardcore element to every hobby and on-line forums are where you're likely to meet most of them. I posted earlier that I had 580's but they're actually 600's. I get my numbers confused because I have so many of them to remember and I'm getting into late middle age where we're pretty much happy when we remember anything.
Brad's our resident expert on HP amps but I'll give ya my two cents. A separate amp is nice but it's not necessary to enjoy HP's. If you've never had an amp, then you're a lot less likely to be disappointed with your receivers output. I use my Senn's both with and without a separate amp. It works both ways. If I didn't have my amp, I'd still enjoy my headphones.

David

BradJudy
01-28-2007, 06:56 PM
The biggest problem with headphones like the HD-580/600/650 is poorly powered headphone outputs. I wouldn't try them with most portable players and a lot of sound cards on computers. Headphone jacks on receivers are hit or miss, but most do fine with the 580/600/650s.

The Grados and AudioTechnica A900's are both easier to power. I've heard the Senn 555/595 are easier to power than the 580/600 too, but I've never tried them myself.

I have a Pio 74txvi receiver and the specs don't mention anything about it having powered headphone output. Is it common to have this in a receiver?

Are you saying you don't know if it has a headphone jack? This should be obvious. Or, are you saying you don't know how powerful it is?

curtis
01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Since we are talking about headphones, I thought I would post a funny headphone story that happenned to me today.

I helped my Parents setup their HT, and anytime something goes wrong, they call me...as they should.

So I get a call this morning from my Dad, apparently the bulb went out on the HDTV they use most often. We talk a bit, and he is going to call for a bulb tomorrow.

Now they have to watch TV in the livingroom....a little less convenient because it is not next to the kitchen, but it is a bigger TV and that is where the Ascends are. Dad calls me back and says there is no sound. After a little trouble shooting, and since the kids and I were going to be there for dinner, I told him I would have a look when I got there.....he could just use the TV speakers for now.

I get there, have a quick look......noticed the headphones were plugged in.....I unplugged them....and there was sound! :D "I didn't know it did that", he said. "Dad, when you plug in the headphones, you don't want to hear the speakers". "Makes sense" was his reply.

picasso
01-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Consider Earbuds from Shure. I use Shure 4EC (model # ?. I know they are # 4's) and am very pleased. Although MSRP is $320, you can buy on Ebay for under $200. Besides being small and lightweight, they are easily powered by an MP3 player as well. Honestly, sonic nirvana.

bikeman
01-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Consider Earbuds from Shure. I use Shure 4EC (model # ?. I know they are # 4's) and am very pleased. Although MSRP is $320, you can buy on Ebay for under $200. Besides being small and lightweight, they are easily powered by an MP3 player as well. Honestly, sonic nirvana.
I tried these briefly. They are amazing considering the size but they are different from traditional HPs. I wouldn't recommend buying these without trying them or buy from someone with a good return policy.

David

BGHD
01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Are you saying you don't know if it has a headphone jack? This should be obvious. Or, are you saying you don't know how powerful it is?
Don't know if it's a "powered" output. If I don't need to know then I'll just drop the subject.

BradJudy
01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
All headphone jacks are powered, it's just that some are better than others (in terms of power output levels and quality). I don't know how good the ones on the Pioneers are.

BGHD
01-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the tips folks. I think I'm leaning towards the Audio Technica A900 or Sennheiser 555/595 as they're reportedly both good for gaming & movies. But I'm still open to suggestions.

As for the earbuds, I hear nothing but positives about Shure, but would imagine comfort might become a factor with >1-2 hrs use.

As for Curtis' story, that's funny. Sounds like my own low-tech 12" combo TV/VCR-using parents.

BGHD
01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
What's the "veil" I keep reading about?

Jonnyozero3
01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Since we are talking about headphones, I thought I would post a funny headphone story that happenned to me today.

I helped my Parents setup their HT, and anytime something goes wrong, they call me...as they should.

So I get a call this morning from my Dad, apparently the bulb went out on the HDTV they use most often. We talk a bit, and he is going to call for a bulb tomorrow.

Now they have to watch TV in the livingroom....a little less convenient because it is not next to the kitchen, but it is a bigger TV and that is where the Ascends are. Dad calls me back and says there is no sound. After a little trouble shooting, and since the kids and I were going to be there for dinner, I told him I would have a look when I got there.....he could just use the TV speakers for now.

I get there, have a quick look......noticed the headphones were plugged in.....I unplugged them....and there was sound! :D "I didn't know it did that", he said. "Dad, when you plug in the headphones, you don't want to hear the speakers". "Makes sense" was his reply.

This made me laugh. It reminds me of my grandmother trying to operate a VCR:
"But I pushed it in the slot..."
"No Oma, you have to push the tape hard enough to get it to go into the machine...."
"Ahhh! Ohhooohooo!"

BGHD
02-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Update. Just received Sennheiser 595s from a dealer on Amazon. So far, very pleased w/ the results. Clearly better, pun intended, than my Sony cans and wife's **** QC2s (hey, I can't control what she buys!). Overall, better lows, good handling of movie/TV dialogue and less echo-ey sounding than the others. Have really only used it with movies and DD TV so far though. Thanks for the tips.

BradJudy
03-01-2007, 05:45 AM
It's funny that this popped up again. I just received a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880's (use don Head-Fi) and I really like them. I'll have to do some additional listening, but I think a lot of folks here might like them too. This pair is the older "2003" version, but I think most of the changes in the newer version were cosmetic, so it probably sounds very similar.

audibleconnoisseur
03-01-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a pair of DJ Sony that run about $120 I think. Now I am not a headphone guy, but for $30 I could not resist. I will go back home and test them a little and give you name if you like. I think they sound good and have put many a set to shame. Neat that you can turn the headphone around and hold to ear without torquing the headset. Long cord with great extension so you can sit a long way from the stereo.

What Sony did you have? Ok, be in touch!

Classpro
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, I'm not yet an Ascend owner, but am thinking about becoming one. I am new to these forums.

I own several pairs of headphones and have some thoughts:

Best Cheap Headphones: Koss KSC-75 (under $15). These are surprisingly excellent little headphones. They clip on to your ears, and are very comfortable. They sound amazing for the price. One of the all-time best buys in audio. Also, they are quite efficient and sound good with most portables. I much prefer the sound and comfort to far more expensive in-ear phones (like my Shure E2-Cs - very uncomfortable and shrill, imo). This is a great headphone to start with - it will tide you over while you look for more expensive phones, and will sound great with a portable player after you buy more expensive phones. Very highly recommended. The version sold at radio shack has an in-line volume control which can be handy with portables. It did not seem to harm the sound any. The ones from amazon don't have an in-line volume control.

Senn HD-580, 600, 650. These are big home headphones. Comfortable - like wearing fuzzy slippers on your ears. They don't "need an amp" but they do sound better with an amp. The 580s are a good deal on a very high-end pair of headphones (this is the model I have). These are some of the best headphones made.

Grado SR-60: These are good sounding, but moderately uncomfortable. Also very ugly IMO. I think they sound a little better than the Koss KSC-75, but not much. Also, not as comfortable, not as versitile, and a lot more money. Clearly a step below the Senn 580s in sound quality (and in price). They are good, but I'd recommend the Koss until you can afford the Senns.

Sure e2-c: Uncomfortable, shrill, very detailed. In ear phones. I use them on an airplane to block noise, but I don't really like them very much. I much prefer the balanced sound and comfort of the very cheap Koss 75s. I also find them very uncomfortable, and they give me a bad headache after listening for an hour or so. You have to be careful not to damage your hearing by playing them too loud, since they are in your ear canal. They also can have problems with portable players because of their low impedence (you get hiss). You can solve the hiss with a volume control, but why?

Hope that helps.

BGHD
03-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Great info folks. Yeah, considered the Senn 580s for the $124 Amazon price, but everything I read said they need to be amped. I wasn't sure if my receiver's headphone output was "amped", so just went with the 50 Ohm 595s. Took a chance on a fly-by-night dealer on Amazon, so the 595s weren't much more.

Couple questions:

1) Is the headphone output on a receiver typically amped? I have a Pio Elite 74txvi. There was no mention in the spec sheet.

2) How do I listen to multichannel hi-res tracks (DVDA and SACD) through the headphones? Weirdly, when I tried it, seems LCR (or maybe just L/R) were coming through the cans, but the other channels played through the speakers/sub. I'd prefer to listen to the hi-res layer and don't think all my discs have 2.0 downmixed hi-res tracks.

I have a Pio 588 connected via 6 analog cables to receiver.

BGHD
03-06-2007, 08:05 AM
It's funny that this popped up again. I just received a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880's (use don Head-Fi) and I really like them. I'll have to do some additional listening, but I think a lot of folks here might like them too. This pair is the older "2003" version, but I think most of the changes in the newer version were cosmetic, so it probably sounds very similar.
Yeah, I read good things about the Beyers (770? 880?) on headfi, but like the Audio Technica A900, were just above my price range.

Classpro
03-06-2007, 10:44 AM
My HD580s sound good without an amp - even though a AAA battery-powered portable. In fact, they often sound better through a portable than lower impedance headphones. Certainly, an amp helps them sound their best, but they work fine without one. A receiver's headphone output should be fine. I wouldn't recommend them for portable listening, but for home listening you'll be pleased. They are very good headphones, and a bargain at that price.