PDA

View Full Version : Emotiva & bi-amping 340SEs

cyberbri
01-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Right now I'm just in the drooling/wishing stage, but I have my eyes on the Emotiva LPA-1. It's $499 shipped, 5x125w + another channel that can be run as a 6th channel, or split into 50w x2.

Can the 340SEs be bi-amped? Or just bi-wired. Ie., could I bi-amp my front 340SEs, 125w x 2 per speaker, for all 6 channels, and then let my receiver (HK 240) run the surround speakers?

Also, if anyone has any experience with the Emotiva amp, what are your impressions of it?

BradJudy
01-21-2007, 06:13 PM
The LPA-1 seems like a great amp, particularly for the price. I thought about getting one before I came across a great deal on an Outlaw pair including the Outlaw 750 (165Wx5 built by ATI). I've heard the LPA-1 in action a couple of times and can't fault it for anything.

audibleconnoisseur
01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Here is a link to the thread that discusses this in detail so we don't reproduce the material again: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=745. If this doesn't link up, just look around 10 threads below and you will find more about it.

cyberbri
01-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks!

bgra14
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I have the LPA 1 with Ascend 340's and I love it...you will find that youwill have more than enough power that you will not need to bi amp. The LPA can more than carry the load...cleanly!

audibleconnoisseur
01-22-2007, 12:53 PM
what is an LPA 1?

cyberbri
01-22-2007, 12:55 PM
what is an LPA 1?

amplifier ($499):
http://www.emotiva.com/lpa1.html
AV123 used to sell them, but Emotiva is now selling direct, apparently.

bgra14
01-22-2007, 01:01 PM
thanks, Cyberbri

audibleconnoisseur
01-22-2007, 01:47 PM
would I better benefit from using my current denon 1905 and getting anoter external amp like the one you are talking about here (or another), or selling mine and putting that same extra money towards a better receiver? i am looking to find the best amp for the money that is best for the ascends. dave is talking with me on this so i may simply go with his advice since they are his speakers but just wanted your opinions as well. my denon is 80W/ch @ 7.1 so i would only need another 30W/ch for all seven channels. thoughts?

BradJudy
01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
It depends a lot on if you like the features of your receiver. If you like everything about it, but want more power, then get an external amp. If you wish it could to X, Y and Z, then look at getting a better receiver.

My question would be - why do you think you need more power?

audibleconnoisseur
01-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't know that I do short of wanting to get more power and thus sound clarity and quality from my denon. it is only 80W/ch so i am getting loud enough for most people at near +/- 0 and would prefer to have that same sound but with better quality at the -20 or -15dB level. can you explain why one would want to get more power or current to their speakers other than them sounding better and more clear, thus able to play the best they can? they 340's are 240rms and 400max so i am not worried about too much, only too little at the +/- 0 level of the denon 1905.

cyberbri
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
More power equals better headroom, equals better dynamics for movies and music passages.

audibleconnoisseur
01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
So what about better sound and clarity and quality of music reproduction, etc?

curtis
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I know some disagree with this, but I believe the front end electronics, disc player, pre/amp, and amp have a noticeable effect on the sound of the Ascends. Depending on what you comparing obviously reflect in how much difference you hear.

IMO, the speakers are high performance in terms of sound quality and truely represent what they are fed.

That said, I wouild think more in terms in the quality of what they are given rather than how much power.

Gov
01-22-2007, 04:54 PM
This amp has me curious now. I use a Pioneer 1014TX which I really like. It is supposedly the same as the Elite 52TX which tested out at 115 watts X 5 Channels. I have 170SE for L/R mains, 340SE center and (2) 200's for surrounds. Would I benefit any? Would it be worth the $500 dollars for this amp. I like it loud (occasionally), but would it sound puncher/cleaner at all volume levels with this amp? How much better is this amp vs the Pioneer mosfet?

Thanks, Gov

Gov
01-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Just placed my order for the LPA-1!!! :D Hope it makes a difference in my Ascend set up. I will use my 1014 as a preamp.

Gov
01-31-2007, 06:27 PM
I just received my LPA-1 today and man is it a BEAST!! To my ears so far, the LPA-1 sound similar to the Pioneer, but I have more headroom with the LPA-1. I like to listen to music in 7-channel stereo except DVD-A and DTS material. I think for the headroom and the fact I listen to redbook material in 7 channel stereo, this may be worth it for me. Although, the 1014 can hold its own! I have 30 days to make a decision. I will say that this amp is built like a tank!

leon55
02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I too have the 1014, and was thinking about the emotiva amp. It will be interesting to hear any comments after you have listened for several days. Hope you post what you think in a couple of weeks.

audibleconnoisseur
02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
What would I not be getting by buying the EMOTIVA LMC-1 & LPA-1 and instead, buying a Pio81 or Denon2807, or HK645? Would it be worth it to spend the $ on the EMOTIVA system peices above or the other name brands listed?

In other words, with $900, would I be better off musically and HT wise buying the EMOTIVA or an A/V receiver?

leon55
02-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the denon you have. plenty of features unless you go with hdmi switching in future.

audibleconnoisseur
02-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Leon55,

Yea, right now the Denon 1905 is holding out well against the more expensive and more powerful Pioneer 81. I have only done a few low level listening levels with music that I know and nothing is missing or being revealed more from one over the other. I have only used -50dB volume during the short one hour test and from there I believe I would give 5% to the P81 only because I THINK I hear a touch of clarity in a particular Kenny G song (First time I have pulled that out in about..... 10+ years!?) when there are high to low sounding chimes. I will continue to test. I don't NEED to replace my D1905 so I won't if there is not a noticeable difference in the presentation or sound quality that is better apprecaited to my ear.

Gov
02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Just to give a quick update on the LPA-1 that I got. Last week I sent it back. With the Pioneer 1014 driving the Ascends it was not worth it for $500. There was basically no difference between the two until you really start getting to high SPL levels (>90db) :eek: Even then, it was a subtle difference. So anyone with a good mid-priced or better receiver that has Ascend speakers, IMHO don't bother with an amplifier unless you like playing material at ear bleeding levels for long lengths at a time.

So instead, since I still had a bit of upgraditis, I purchased a pair of 340SE mains to replace my 170SE mains last Thursday! :D Now I am anxiously waiting their arrival! I think this will probably be a noticable upgrade. Also, I figure the 170SE's will be easy to sell.

Gov

bikeman
02-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Also, I figure the 170SE's will be easy to sell.
You are aware of the mandatory Forum member discount? Thought so. :D

David

audibleconnoisseur
02-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Also, I figure the 170SE's will be easy to sell.

Gov

Since you can't sell on here, please PM me with your asking price...

Gov
02-16-2007, 10:04 AM
340's arrived today!!!! WOW!!!! So far, so good. I have already boxed up the 170's :D These things look like monsters compared to the 170's. The one thing that I immediately noticed was how good they sound in 2 channel stereo with my sub. Much more fuller sounding than the 170's in 2 channel stereo. Oh well, off to listen to more stuff!!!

leon55
02-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Just curious, why are you not swaping out the 200's with the 170's. I love mc music with my 170s? I have the 1014 rec as you do.

Gov
02-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I figured someone would ask that. It is really not possible in my room otherwise I definately would. I have to hang one of the speakers from the ceiling and my wife would probably kick me out of the house if I hung a 170 in that fashion :o The other speaker would have to be shelf mounted in the corner. My room layout is what has prevented me from stepping up to a 7.1 config. So the 200's will have to stay put. Anyways, I only have about 5 or 6 DVD-A's, a couple of DTS music discs and no plans to get any SACD stuff since I don't have a universal dvd player. The 200's are no slouch for any type of listening.

leon55
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM
I thought as much. I tried to find pictures of your setup, I know i've seen them some place. I'm lucky, I have a bonus room over 3 car garage and made it my getaway place. I have the 170's on the side walls about 5 feet high and they work great for me. thanks.

audibleconnoisseur
02-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey buddy! Hope you have been well. Did you bring an Eagles DVD/CD over when you came to help me audition? I have one here and I don't know if it belongs to you, your BIL or Dan. Please let me know.

Sorry if I seemingly highjacked your thread....

leon55
02-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Kevin,I know my brother in law had the hotel california dvd-a, but I don't know if he is missing it. I will ask him. How is the new system sounding? I know you are excited about your sub, but hav'nt heard you say much about the speakers.

audibleconnoisseur
02-20-2007, 05:37 AM
Leon55,

Will send the disk today when I get home but will go out tomorrow with morning mail ~

ajt976
03-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Can the 340SEs be bi-amped? Or just bi-wired. Ie., could I bi-amp my front 340SEs, 125w x 2 per speaker, for all 6 channels, and then let my receiver (HK 240) run the surround speakers?
Sorry for digging up an older thread, but I'm still curious as to what you did with this. Cyber, did you end up getting the LPA-1?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you here. I was looking at this amp for my 340SE's, and what I was thinking about doing was running the LPA-1 in 6 channels and using 2 channels to passively bi-amp (correct usage?) each of my three 340's. Oh and I would use my HK635 as a pre-amp and to power the surrounds.

I understand some of you do not think that this type of amp set up will have a noticeable increase in performance, but I would like to try and listen for myself none the less. I'm just looking to make sure that this is safe for my speakers, I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to them!!! :(

Thanks,
Andrew

cyberbri
03-31-2007, 02:47 AM
Nope, haven't upgraded.

But if you want to read more about the Emotiva stuff, try here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=781208).

Gov
03-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Sorry for digging up an older thread, but I'm still curious as to what you did with this. Cyber, did you end up getting the LPA-1?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you here. I was looking at this amp for my 340SE's, and what I was thinking about doing was running the LPA-1 in 6 channels and using 2 channels to passively bi-amp (correct usage?) each of my three 340's. Oh and I would use my HK635 as a pre-amp and to power the surrounds.

I understand some of you do not think that this type of amp set up will have a noticeable increase in performance, but I would like to try and listen for myself none the less. I'm just looking to make sure that this is safe for my speakers, I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to them!!! :(

Thanks,
Andrew

Well I have this amp with my 340 L/R/C and 200 surrounds. Actually, this is my second time owning it, as I hastly returned the first one. I am very happy with it and it is better than using my Pioneer 1014 for amplification. I now use the 1014 as a pre/pro which does well with the LPA-1. The reason I decided to get the LPA-1 again was because I liked the fact of having more headroom and piece of mind knowing the Ascends are getting plenty of current at high SPL's, and minimizing the risk of damaging them. I have a tendency to play material at over 90db quite a bit, especially music. If it was not for my listen habits, the Pioneer would have been just fine. Actually, I cannot tell the difference between the Pioneers amps and the LPA-1 under 90db. Over 90db, the LPA-1 begins to be quite noticably better than the Pioneer.

drewface
03-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Nope, haven't upgraded.

But if you want to read more about the Emotiva stuff, try here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=781208).
thanks a lot, man... now i'm itching to buy an amp because of that thread. i'd probably go with the LPA-1 simply because of the price and i've heard so many good things about it being paired with ascends...

this home theatre business is addicting :cool:

ajt976
03-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Yea, I did manage to sift through those 350 some posts! :D

Has anyone else had any experience with this kind of "bi-amping" setup with the LPA-1? I was going to get the Ultra Theater set and have a little shootout between the LMC-1 and my HK635. (Oh, and is that 40% off next-gen deal over yet?) I'm thinking that either I'll do the LPA-1 with the setup I described above, or just spend the extra cash and get the MSP-1 with only 3 of the mono-blocks for my 340 L/C/R. If the numbers in the AVSForum thread are correct, the 3 channel MPS-1 would cost me around $900.

Given the choice, what would you all do? :)