PDA

View Full Version : Replacing MB Quart 3's with 340SE's

edtandy
01-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Greetings -- I currently have MB Quart Three towers circa 1993; very very pleased with their sound. Would anyone be able to comment on whether they believe moving to a pair of 340SE for mains would be considered an upgrade? I've read extremely positive comments about the Ascend line and am close to making a purchase of 340's for L,C,R.

There isn't much info on the net about the older MB Quart's so I'd really like to hear from anyone that's heard both of these models and can make a comparison. My listening content is about 50% HT, 50% Music.

Thanks!

cyberbri
01-22-2007, 10:05 AM
How would you describe your MBQ's sound? Do you think they are neutral, bright, warm, etc.? Is there something you think they don't do well enough? Are they lacking in any way in your mind? What do you hope to get out of an upgrade?

edtandy
01-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I'd have to say they are warm to neutral, definitely not noticeably bright. Several reasons I want to upgrade:

1) My center channel is a PSB that just isn't a good timbre match for the mains.

2) the Quart Threes are 4 ohm speakers and my receiver is a Denon AVR 487. Not the biggest receiver you'll find, but it puts out clean enough power to fill my 12x12 room. Although I haven't had issues driving 4 ohm speakers, I'd still like to ease the load a bit on the AVR. Sensitity is also an issue, which the Q3's are 87 db I believe. The Ascends may be better for listening at lower to moderate levels and with the amount of horsepower I have to throw at it.

3) I want improved imaging and spaciousness in my music/movie sound. This is what led me to the Ascend's and I think will surely be an upgrade over what I have in this regard. The Q3's aren't bad by any stretch but it seems the sound could be opened up a bit, more airiness, if this makes sense (sorry, just an amateur here).

I have an SVS PB10-NSD so low end isn't a big concern.

cyberbri
01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd have to say they are warm to neutral, definitely not noticeably bright. Several reasons I want to upgrade:

1) My center channel is a PSB that just isn't a good timbre match for the mains.

2) the Quart Threes are 4 ohm speakers and my receiver is a Denon AVR 487. Not the biggest receiver you'll find, but it puts out clean enough power to fill my 12x12 room. Although I haven't had issues driving 4 ohm speakers, I'd still like to ease the load a bit on the AVR. Sensitity is also an issue, which the Q3's are 87 db I believe. The Ascends may be better for listening at lower to moderate levels and with the amount of horsepower I have to throw at it.

3) I want improved imaging and spaciousness in my music/movie sound. This is what led me to the Ascend's and I think will surely be an upgrade over what I have in this regard. The Q3's aren't bad by any stretch but it seems the sound could be opened up a bit, more airiness, if this makes sense (sorry, just an amateur here).

I have an SVS PB10-NSD so low end isn't a big concern.

With a PSB center, have you thought about getting mains to match that?

edtandy
01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Not much invested in the PSB so no need to build around it. I think it's an older center from their entry level line.

Honestly I want to upgrade the front soundstage because I'll be using this with a Denon AVR-587 and I think the sound would really open up with more sensitive speakers than the Q3's. I probably need better amplification for the MB Quarts to make them reach their potential. It's just hard to know where the older Quart Threes might stack up compared to today's speakers.

I'm pretty much down to either 340's across the front or the Axiom M60's w/ VP100 center. This is in a 12x12 room, BTW.