PDA

View Full Version : Happy with CBM-170, and a few questions.

mv1612
01-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi,

It’s been a couple of weeks since I’m listening to my new CBM-170. It’s a computer setup, I have an M-Audio 2496 audiocard, a Hafler P3000 amplifier and a small mixer to match the impedances and control the volume.

I will not make a comparative review here, I never listened extensively to other loudspeakers. I found the approach of Jay_WJ very useful, so along the same lines, I will say that I played piano for eight years, so I’m quite familiar with the sound of the real piano. In fact, that’s why my listening sessions with other speakers were so brief. From the first notes, the pianos were sounding weird, unnaturall, it’s hard to quantify, these were subjective impressions. I admit that I never listened to expensive speakers, just the same pricerange as the Ascends. The sound through the 170s is clean, natural and utterly believable in reproducing instruments and voices, so what can I say, I’m a lucky, happy camper (this is my first pair of real speakers).

A couple of questions: when I bought the audiocard the seller told me that I cannot connect it directly to the Hafler P3000 (I was thinking controlling the volume from the software) because of different impedances, so I should buy a small mixer, which I did. It’s a Tapco MIX50. Now, my problem is that I read from lots of people that these mixers aren't really an audiophile’s dream, that they throw a veil over the music, etc etc, you get the idea. Does anyone have any experience with this mixer and could express an opinion? My second question, what would happen if I’d directly connect my audiocard to my amp? What’s this thing of mismatch between impedances. I would be very curios about the sound without the mixer interfering, but of course I don’t want to harm my system. And a third one: for the moment I don't have stands, just put the speakers on solid furniture pieces. Would this impact the sound?

Thanks, Virgil.

muzz
01-20-2007, 10:19 AM
The input impedance of that amp is 47kohms:
http://www.lnlrecording.com/Hafler.htm

My avr (and others) is also 47kohms, and I have hooked up many souncards to my stereo's/avrs without issue.
I think the problem is output VOLTAGE(hence a preamp), the input sensitivity of the avrs is about 150mv, that Hafler is like 625mv, so I don't THINK the soundcard is going to feed it enough power.

If it was MINE, I would try it, but I WON'T be responsible if something happens(I doubt it).
I just don't think it will drive the amp enough, because of a lack of a preamp to up the voltage.
curtis uses an amp, maybe he'll chime in.

curtis
01-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I'd try it, but first turn the gain down on the card first.

mv1612
01-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks. OK, so I'll try it. I just have to look for some adapters between RCA and XLR. Don't worry, muzz, of course it's ME responsable for what I'm doing.

Virgil.