PDA

View Full Version : Surge Suppressors/Power Conditioners

ChrisC
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

I am wondering what your thoughts are about surge suppressors/power conditioners, and if anyone here uses them. I really didnt know if there were any real benefits. I was recommended a Panamax m4300-ex, but didnt know if I was just as well off getting a basic surge strip.
Thanks

BradJudy
01-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I'll give you my pretty straight-forward thoughts on this area.

Surge suppression - Two main flavors here, MOVs (vast majority of products) and 'series' (few companies like Brickwall). Both protect from surges (MOVs can vary greatly - check product specs for details) and the main difference is that MOVs sacrifice themselves to the surge and need to be replaced.

If you have frequent surges, look into a series based item so you're not wasting money. If surges are rare, then consider either option.

Power conditioning - Wide varieties and costs here. I'm a fan of well established basic filtering for most situations. The amount it helps depends on how good your power is and in what way it's bad. Most 'filtering' products (from cheaper ones to several hundred dollar ones) use a combination of chokes and capacitors for filtering.

Beyond basic filtering, there are lots of other technologies like isolation transformers, balanced power, power 'regenerators', etc. But most of these cost a lot more (smaller isolation transformers can be found on eBay cheap).

Then there are other features like delayed power on, meters that show voltage/current, etc, etc. Personal choice there.

Budget is a big item of course. If you just want surge suppression and have a budget that allows for it, grab a Brickwall ($200-250). If you're more concerned about filtering and features and also have a budget of ~$200, get a PureAV PF60 or a Monster 3500/3600. If your budget is under $100, get something like a Tripplite Isobar (I'm using an Isobar 12 Ultra on my home theater right now - they can be found for $70).

The Panamax is similar to the PureAV and Monster, so you will get filtering and probably better MOVs than a regular power strip. I can't say if you'll notice a difference or not. IMO, the PureAV PF60 for $170 at eCost is THE deal in this area at the moment - http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=501009 I'm really tempted to get one and replace the Isobar. In short, what the isobar has for the whole strip, the PF60 has for each outlet, plus the geewiz power meter feature and other goodies.

muzz
01-18-2007, 01:48 PM
My take on surge arrestor is also a Brickwall.... MOVS ( as stated) sacrifice themselves, and the BIGGEST problem is..........

THEY DON'T TELL YOU WHEN THEY ARE NO LONGER EFFECTIVE!!!

Lou-the-dog
01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I have a Brickwall and am a firm beliver in it. A year ago an automatic re-closer out at the power substation went on autopilot. Instead of cutting the load (due to a short in distribution) and then resetting after 20 seconds or so the thing tried to close and open every second or so. This happened about 20 times before the re-closure finally fried. I have all my audio and video equipment plugged into the Brickwall and during this episode that Brickwall was back there literally HAMMERING trying to shunt the surges. I'm happy to say that the Brickwall survived along with all the rest of my equipment that it was protecting. That thing saved me and my insurance company a bunch of bucks that evening.

Randy

Kingrsl
01-19-2007, 09:17 PM
How would a plain surge protector like one from the Monster line compare? One came with my TV and thats all I've been using but after doing some upgrading to my home theater, I'm beginning to wonder just how effective it may be.

ChrisC
01-20-2007, 05:23 AM
How about a one of these options?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000637RPC/yahoo-ce-20/ref=nosim

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=435051

I just dont know what the differences between the two are. Is it better to have a console to place in your rack, or one that lies on the ground? They are essentially doing the same things correct?
Im guessing its just preference

muzz
01-20-2007, 07:34 AM
I have a Brickwall and am a firm beliver in it. A year ago an automatic re-closer out at the power substation went on autopilot. Instead of cutting the load (due to a short in distribution) and then resetting after 20 seconds or so the thing tried to close and open every second or so. This happened about 20 times before the re-closure finally fried. I have all my audio and video equipment plugged into the Brickwall and during this episode that Brickwall was back there literally HAMMERING trying to shunt the surges. I'm happy to say that the Brickwall survived along with all the rest of my equipment that it was protecting. That thing saved me and my insurance company a bunch of bucks that evening.

Randy

MOV based units probably would not have survived that, and IF they did, they probably would be useless afterward.

Perfect example.

BradJudy
01-20-2007, 10:37 AM
BTW: Brickwall has been known to do discounted group buys for quantities of 10 or more (IIRC).

The Furman power equipment also uses 'series' protection. In fact, there has been a lawsuit between Brickwall and Furman over the matter IIRC.

The Furman stuff is all rackmount style and is a bit cheaper than Brickwall, but I don't know what their relative quality is like.

Jonnyozero3
01-20-2007, 02:08 PM
I have the Furman PL-8 series II and like it quite a bit. No problems at all and build quality is very good. I guess I can't comment beyond that as I haven't had any noticeable power issues.

BGHD
01-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I have the Furman PL-8 series II and like it quite a bit. No problems at all and build quality is very good. I guess I can't comment beyond that as I haven't had any noticeable power issues.
About the same for me too. I have an APC surge protector w/ line conditioning and voltage regulator. Aside from occasionally regulating the voltage up or down, can't really tell much difference between it and a regular ol' power strip. Hopefully it'll step up to the plate when my equipment really needs it.