PDA

View Full Version : A/V reciever for CMT340 SE's - best one...

audibleconnoisseur
01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Anyone out there that has tested a variety of a/v receivers with the CMT340 SE's to find the best sound? I know the sound is subjective and personal, but which one's would you say make them more bright sounding and/or warm, etc. I see they offer HK at AA store but there are many others out there. I personally have a DENON 1905, anyone with this experience that can comment if this would be a good match? I am hoping to make up my mind here in the next week if at all possible (with help from Leon55 and another few that are auditioning at my home with the VTF-2 MK 3).

greggle31
01-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I've been going through the same dilemma for awhile. I wound up ordering a pioneer vsx-1016 txv. It has good power, good sound and a great automated setup system. It does lack the latest hdmi switching although it does have hdmi passthrough. I dont know how important that is to you. I just wanted sound and quality at a decent price. I wound up getting the receiver for 369 plus shipping from onecall.com (they were awesome) The amp set inside this receiver is the same direct energy youll find in the pioneer elite recievers. This is a suprising receiver, it really has nothing to do with the vsx-816 and vsx-516 receivers youll find in major retail stores. It weighs around 35 lbs and is extremely well made. Im ordering my ascends tonight and hopefully in about a week ill be able to review the whole deal. good luck
-Greg-

BGHD
01-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Tried the following with 340 classics:

-Pio vsx912k (cheaper model): fatiguing/bright even to my wife; bare bones features but plenty of power
-HK 1005 (digital): much nicer more pleasant sound than the Pio; powerful but few features
-Denon 985 (same as 2805?): powerful, but the HK sounded better (less "in your face")
-HK 435: great sound overall with 340s; definitely seems more powerful than spec'd
-Pio 74txvi (the one I kept): was a toss-up with the 435; actually preferred the sound of the 435, esp with music, but liked the features of the Pio better (mainly had hdmi inputs/outputs)

Kingrsl
01-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Has anyone upgraded from an entry level receiver to one suggested in this thread? I'm currently using a Yamaha HTR-5740 with a **** setup. I just ordered the Ascend 340s with 170s rear and wonder if I'd notice a difference with a different receiver. The added features would be nice but arent a must for me. I was thinking of upgrading to the Yamaha RX-V1700. Here is my current setup.

Samsung HL-S6187W
Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver
Cox HD service
Toshiba HD-A1
Xbox 360
and soon the Ascend 340 SE's up front with 170's rear w/ HSU VTF-2 MK3

Wiluven
01-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I ordered the Yamaha 1700 to run my 340SE's and 170SE's (two pair).

To be honest, you aren't exactly going to get the answer your looking for. The best answer I could get is "Figure out how much you want to spend, and buy one of those receivers." All receivers have different sounds and no one could really tell you what you would like.

When I bought mine, I just closed my eyes and threw a dart...

Kingrsl
01-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm just looking for an answer to if I'll notice a difference in the audio by upgrading to a receiver in that price range. If the difference is mainly just features, then I can spend the $750 elsewhere in my home theater.

BGHD
01-14-2007, 07:12 AM
I ordered the Yamaha 1700 to run my 340SE's and 170SE's (two pair).

To be honest, you aren't exactly going to get the answer your looking for. The best answer I could get is "Figure out how much you want to spend, and buy one of those receivers." All receivers have different sounds and no one could really tell you what you would like.

When I bought mine, I just closed my eyes and threw a dart...
I don't know about throwing darts, but I agree. Some will say it's not ethical, but just get an AVR from a store with a good return policy & try it out for yourself. Really, there's no better way to test equipment than to have the remote in your hand and setup in your room.

Also, from my limited research, the newer AVRs seem to emphasize features (e.g. HDMI switching/connectivity; XM; etc) rather than improved SQ, but I really don't have much knowledge of the newer audio formats (e.g. Dolby True HD, etc).

bikeman
01-14-2007, 11:12 AM
If the difference is mainly just features, then I can spend the $750 elsewhere in my home theater.
A most excellent decision. :cool:

David

badassfajita
01-15-2007, 08:29 AM
In my ordeal, I compared a panasonic xr-57, a yamaha rx-v2500 and an hk 635. To my ears, the HK produced the most full, natural sound with the most pleasing top end that was not harsh. Yould probably find a used hk under $500.

kirkup
01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
In my ordeal, I compared a panasonic xr-57, a yamaha rx-v2500 and an hk 635. To my ears, the HK produced the most full, natural sound with the most pleasing top end that was not harsh. Yould probably find a used hk under $500.
May I ask your opinion of the Panasonic please? I have heard a lot about it and it is now available for about $300. Thanks.

badassfajita
01-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I didn't like the Panasonic--it was harsh and fatiguing when turned up. But then again, the HK was a bit fatiguing as well *without* the built in room EQ. It was a major factor for me b/c I have an odd shaped room with huge openings and the HK was able to EQ the sound perfectly. The Panasonic does not have any EQ circuit...you get what it puts out, thats it. If you've got 4 walls and a rectangular room, I would try the Panasonic, otherwise, I would look for a used HK 435/635/445/645.

kirkup
01-17-2007, 11:16 AM
I didn't like the Panasonic--it was harsh and fatiguing when turned up. But then again, the HK was a bit fatiguing as well *without* the built in room EQ. It was a major factor for me b/c I have an odd shaped room with huge openings and the HK was able to EQ the sound perfectly. The Panasonic does not have any EQ circuit...you get what it puts out, thats it. If you've got 4 walls and a rectangular room, I would try the Panasonic, otherwise, I would look for a used HK 435/635/445/645.
Thanks for the advice. I see HK is coming out with a new line in April with loads of HDMI imputs and more bells and whistles. Hopefully I might get a good buy on the old line around that time.

Grayson73
01-17-2007, 12:03 PM
I have the XR57 with 340SEs and 170SEs in a 5.1 setup, crossover at 80hz, all speakers set to 'small', and I think it sounds very clear. I'm in a large room with high ceilings.

If I wanted to, I could turn the treble down, but I didn't feel like I needed to. Not fatiguing to my ears.

audibleconnoisseur
01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Ok, how about b/t the HK 635, Pioneer VSX-81TXV, Denon 2307 or Denon 2807?

bikeman
01-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Ok, how about b/t the HK 635, Pioneer VSX-81TXV, Denon 2307 or Denon 2807?
These are all good receivers as is the Panny. If you can't audition them in your home, then just pick the one with features you want and a price you can afford and don't have anxiety over your decision. just enjoy the music.
There is one thing about the Panny that's not related to SQ. The remote does not handle all the commands. I have to physically go to the receiver and make some changes. I can live with that but it's definitely something to consider before purchase.

David

greggle31
01-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I was going to get the xr-57, but I just wasnt satisfied with the features it offered. I was also looking at the lower end pioneer elites. Then i found the pioneer vsx-1016. It had the feautures i wanted, the same processor and amp as the lower end elites ( I really couldnt find a difference other than hdmi options). Ill update you on the sound as soon as I get my speakers.

Kingrsl
01-19-2007, 09:14 PM
I've got a Sony STR-DA5200ES on the way. I'll let you know what I think of it after I do some testing. I haven't gotten my Ascend's yet but next week should be very interesting.

muzz
01-20-2007, 07:45 AM
I've got a Sony STR-DA5200ES on the way. I'll let you know what I think of it after I do some testing. I haven't gotten my Ascend's yet but next week should be very interesting.

Is that one of the Sony units that will NOT play a 1.5mb DTS signal correctly?

If it is, you will NOT be able to play DD+ (HD DVD) over optical connection, it will sound gurgled ( doesn't have enough bandwidth ).

I hope it's not one of those, I've read alot of problems on the HD DVD forum over at AVSFORUM, and Older units, and some Sony units have issues, they play DTS fine, but aren't suited for 1.5mb of DTS.
The older chipsets were NOT designed to handle that kind of bandwidth, they were designed to handle 1/2 the DTS rate of 768kb/s, which is all that was needed until High Def players started going with less lossy audio.

If it's NOT going to be used for that, it won't matter.
Just something to look into if you are interested.

The Toshiba HD DVD players convert DD+ to DTS over optical

muzz
01-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Probably not going to be an issue with that AVR, from what I've read so far.

Kingrsl
01-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Yea, I've only heard about issues with the new audio formats and optical inputs. The HDMI inputs from my HD-DVD should have plenty of bandwith. The Sony has gotten rave reviews.

cyberbri
01-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I have an HK 240 at it sounds great with my 340SEs/170SEs. It originally retailed for $800 but I picked up a refurb from the Harmanaudio official reseller on their ebay store for around $250. The 240 is rated at 65w x2 or 55w x7, and S&V mag's measurements have it putting out about the same amount of power as the 100w x6 (6ohms) model Panasonic digital (5x or 7x?) -- I had a thread here on Ascend last year about it.

If you can, definitely add room treatments. Even just an absorption panel on either side of the room at the first reflection points (assuming the walls aren't over 6' away from either side of the speakers) will do wonders for the sound, imaging, soundstage, clarity, etc.. Adding some bass traps to the corners will do wonders for the bass as well - like you wouldn't believe. GIK Acoustics has very reasonable prices, and you can also look into making your own treatments for much less (if you are handy with tools and have the time).