PDA

View Full Version : New speakers/old receiver

kirkup
12-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I have just received a pair of CBM 170SE speakers and a HSU VTF 1 MK 3 sub. I attached them to my Technics SA-EX510 receiver. This is an about seven year old 5.1 Dolby prologic receiver that puts out 120 watts per channel x 5. I plugged in a old (25 years) pair of Coral speakers to the two back channels and used a phantom center. It does put out great stereo. The 5.1 with a new DVD sounds pretty good to me. However, I have not listened to to surround sound outside of a theater. I will add 340s up front and move the 170s to the back soon. Should I also replace the receiver? Are the new Dolby surround formats significantly better? The room is 12x 15x 8. I probably listen to 85 percent music an 15 percent DVDs. I appreciate the advice.

curtis
12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
I would replace the receiver. Dolby Digital and DTS are light years ahead of the Dolby Pro Logic experience.

In fact, I think I would get a new receiver before getting the additional Ascends.

Also, how is your DVD player hooked up to the receiver? Since the receiver is only Dolby Pro Logic, I doubt you have a digital connection, and not actually listening to "real" 5.1.

kirkup
12-23-2006, 08:18 AM
I would replace the receiver. Dolby Digital and DTS are light years ahead of the Dolby Pro Logic experience.

In fact, I think I would get a new receiver before getting the additional Ascends.

Also, how is your DVD player hooked up to the receiver? Since the receiver is only Dolby Pro Logic, I doubt you have a digital connection, and not actually listening to "real" 5.1.
Thank you for your reply. The DVD player is connected with two RCA cables. I have looked at the Panasonic SA SR-57, the Onyko 604, and the Denon 687. I am kind of leaning towards the Onyko because it has the both auto-set up and a HDMI input/output. The Denon has the auto-set up and quality. The Panasonic is digital, much cheaper, has HDMI, and is highly touted. Would anyone have any suggestions/comments? Thanks!

bikeman
12-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Would anyone have any suggestions/comments?
All these receivers are good. Get the one with the features you want and need. I'm not a fan of auto set-up but I have no experience with the current Onkyo version.
Receivers with only one HDMI i/o have me confused. What's the benefit?
David