PDA

View Full Version : Showing off your Ascends...

Havelcek
12-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I just finished putting up wiring for my new set of Ascends and I thought I'd ask the community...what's your favorite movie (or three) for showing off your system?

bikeman
12-18-2006, 12:20 PM
I just finished putting up wiring for my new set of Ascends and I thought I'd ask the community...what's your favorite movie (or three) for showing off your system?
For showing off my Ascends, my favorite DVD is Diana Krall's "Live in Paris." I also like Al DiMeola's "One of those Nights." Movies just don't show off good speakers like music so music DVD's are a good compromise.

David

curtis
12-18-2006, 01:41 PM
I am also a music guy when it comes to showing off the speakers, and there is so much to choose from. When someone comes over to spefically listen, it is important for them to choose what they want to hear.

Showing off the sound of the speakers to someone that is not into audio is like showing someone home movies. :)

If I had to choose a movie, Saving Private Ryan and The Matrix come to mind.

Jorge_Burrito
12-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I agree with Bikeman if you just want to show off your speakers a well mastered audio CD is the best choice. Dave Matthew's Crash is one of my favorites.

For showing off an entire home theatre some of my favorites are the House of Flying Daggers (I love the colors on this movie...also the bean dance is a great scene that takes advantage of your surround speakers), The Incredibles (or any PIXAR movie really), and The Fifth Element (The diva scene is fun for a shorter clip).

Havelcek
12-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Good stuff...I hadn't really considered the pure music standpoint. I'm also getting a new plasma so I guess I figured a movie to get the full experience. No votes for Top Gun?? ;)

Sam1000
12-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Yep, I agree with David about Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" DVD. Also check out Eagles "Hell Freezes Over".

If you have a good subwoofer, then you can really show off your entire system. There's a thread on the subwoofer forum at AVS called "Movies with house crumbling bass". Saving Private Ryan, House of Flying Daggers are part of that list. Or you can just play the first 5 minutes of Toy Story 2. It really takes advantages of your surrounds, and you will get the movie theater experience.
Enjoy.

BGHD
12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
-Saving Private Ryan: entire protect-the-bridge scene
-Black Hawk Down: "Irene" blackhawk take-off scene and the 1st chapter following it
-Eagles DVD-A: "Hotel California"
-Norah Jones SACD
-4th quarter of the UCLA-SC game ;)

curtis
12-18-2006, 07:04 PM
LOL! But if the person is an USC fan, he/she will never like Ascends after that. Hmmm...maybe get a pair of Ascends in custom UCLA Bruin blue.
:D

Quinn
12-18-2006, 07:34 PM

The 4th quarter of the Texas-USC game is much better. I'm really fond of the last 2 minutes and 15 seconds.

curtis
12-18-2006, 08:46 PM
The 4th quarter of the Texas-USC game is much better. I'm really fond of the last 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
Same result. The USC fan is not going to like Ascends. :)

Eddie Horton
12-19-2006, 08:59 AM
I like to use the Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus CD and the Fleetwood Mac - Rumors DVD-A. Just as a FYI, for sub/main integration one of the best tracks I've heard is a song called "Smells Like Funk" by the Black Eyed Peas. This may or may not be your cup of tea, but there is a synth bass heavy section of the song that runs way up and down the scale. It starts in sub territory and goes up into the range where the mains take over and then back down again. It's perfect for seeing how your mains and sub interact and also for making sure your sub is properly EQ'd. If every single note is distinct and of equal loudness, you're golden.

Havelcek
12-19-2006, 09:29 AM
I like to use the Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus CD and the Fleetwood Mac - Rumors DVD-A. Just as a FYI, for sub/main integration one of the best tracks I've heard is a song called "Smells Like Funk" by the Black Eyed Peas. This may or may not be your cup of tea, but there is a synth bass heavy section of the song that runs way up and down the scale. It starts in sub territory and goes up into the range where the mains take over and then back down again. It's perfect for seeing how your mains and sub interact and also for making sure your sub is properly EQ'd. If every single note is distinct and of equal loudness, you're golden.

Good point...I can hear that song in my mind and I bet it will be a good demo song.

bikeman
12-19-2006, 12:26 PM
I like to use the Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus CD
Too funny. That was my favorite demo album back in the late 70's. Had Allison 3's at the time.

David

tjennings
12-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Not sure what kind of music you like, but Alison Krauss and Union Station LIVE from 2002 is one of the best recorded concerts I've come across yet. I'm not really into bluegrass / country but AKUS is just unbelievably talented... and her voice on the 340's... oh my! :)

I can recommend a lot of SACD's and DVD-A's also if you are into hi-rez multi-channel music like I am.

muzz
12-20-2006, 03:19 PM

Listening to that LF CD right now.

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Eddie Horton
12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
It's really one of my all time favs. What David said made me chuckle, but next to most of today's over-compressed-no-dynamic-range-having albums, it just blows them out of the water. Great songs, vocals, drums, bass, guitar, organ, horns.......I mean, really, what else do you need?

muzz
12-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Put Chuck Mangione in there!! It'd sound mint!! :D