PDA

View Full Version : New to speakers question...

Havelcek
12-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm about to place an order for a set of Ascends and since I want to be able to use them on day 1 I have some questions about wiring. I've never owned speakers or a subwoofer so most of you will likely laugh at this so bear with me.

What kind of speaker wire should I be buying for the setup? I will have a Pioneer 5070 Plasma and Pio Elite VSX84 receiver and 340SEs LCR with a pair of 200s in the rear for 5.1, coupled with a single powered sub, either Hsu or SVS. I keep reading about "interconnects" but what are they? Is there a different kind of wire to go from the receiver to the sub? I see that there are multiple connections on the back of the sub so should I be buying more than one of these wires?

Thanks in advance for your patience...

BradJudy
12-05-2006, 03:59 PM
You will need some basic speaker wire for the speakers - I recommend something like 14 gauge. You can do something basic like a spool of it from Home Depot, to something fancier like custom cut cables with connectors on the ends. See this page for some options and details: http://bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

For the sub, you'll need one cable with RCA connector ends in a long enough length to go from the receiver to the sub. See this page for some good options - http://bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm

Then connect the speakers to their corresponding speaker outputs on the receiver and the sub to the sub output.

BTW: That's a heck of a nice setup to start with for your first set - enjoy.

Havelcek
12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Its kind of funny but my wife just orchestrated the re-doing of two of our bathrooms and felt like she "owed" me a project of my own so I got the green light to put this all together. If you see anything in there that is out of whack I'm open to suggestions.

BradJudy
12-05-2006, 08:21 PM
It's a great setup - I've heard very good things about the Pioneer 84. Ascend speakers with either Hsu or SVS sub will be great. What DVD player will you be using?

Havelcek
12-05-2006, 09:04 PM
I have a plain old progressive scan JVC...going to either let the receiver or display do the scaling. Once they finally figure out all this HD format nonsense I'll invest in a real player but I just don't see the point right now.