PDA

View Full Version : UPS Strikes again...with Stealth!

Jonnyozero3
12-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Let me tell you a story...

So today, the UPS truck pulled up. The nice men dropped off two boxes of goods just for me. I was happy.

I was even happier when I noticed that the boxes were in very good condition, especially for UPS. I didn't see any grievous box damage, so I accepted my new toys with glee.

I took the boxes downstairs, and proceeded to open them. I am being completely honest when this is what happened... I thought to myself, "Wow, these boxes are looking really clean, usually UPS beats on them more. This is great!"

Then I pulled a speaker out....

(((THUNK))) (((Clack)))

WTF WAS THAT! I screamed in my head.

Well...this is what it was....

http://family.webshots.com/album/556219663QyWRzm

Anyhow, both the woofers are separated from their mounts to the cabinet, and the cone, of course, and are bouncing around inside the enclosure with reckless abandon. UPS must have done some serious box tossing to cause this. I'm surprised that something like this could have been caused with so little box damage. Luckily, pair #2 looks fine (look new to me, actually). And I'm calling Dave as I type :)

ebh
12-04-2006, 03:09 PM
oh man that hurts. speaker abuse like that cannot be condoned. i like my ups man, but if he brought me speakers like that.... i hope you can get this resolved, and that ups pays up to dave for their crimes!

Jonnyozero3
12-04-2006, 03:12 PM
I spoke with James, and they're going to put a claim into UPS for it. I just have to box them up and put them out my front door and the right time. They're sending me out a replacement pair stat. So, no big harm done - I have one pair to play with in the meantime. :) Got to love quick and effective customer service.

jamesg
12-04-2006, 03:30 PM
OK, everyone sing along with me: "'Tis the season to be jolly...." ;)

Well, it's the Christmas season -- what more can we say? At Ascend, this is a joyous time of year when sales go up and satisfied customers treat themselves to Ascend speakers for their home theaters. We do count on UPS to complete the chain, and unfortunately they are not perfect.

To be fair to UPS, they do a heck of a job (hat tip to GWB) most of the time, especially considering the volume they move. However, at this time of the year, when workloads triple, they have to hire temporary help who do not necessarily share the work ethic of their regular staff. In other words, stuff happens. We're all human after all.

This is status quo for Ascend. We note this uptick in damage claims every December. To any of our customers who were among the unfortunate few to receive damaged Ascend speakers, I sincerely apologize. We will handle all claims with UPS and we will ship a replacement pair of speakers within 48 hours of notifications. It's the best we can do.

We are also re-evaluating our packaging, and subsequent shipments will have extra cardboard reinforcement in each box.

Thanks again for all of your loyal patronage of Ascend Acoustics and we wish you luck and joy during this holiday season!

bikeman
12-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I spoke with James, and they're going to put a claim into UPS for it. I just have to box them up and put them out my front door and the right time. They're sending me out a replacement pair stat. So, no big harm done - I have one pair to play with in the meantime. :) Got to love quick and effective customer service.
Welcome to the club, Jon. UPS did the same to me with my 340 Classics two years ago. No damage outside, toasted inside. The packaging on the 340SE's has been improved but no packaging is exempt from the UPS gorilla. Ascend handled my claim in a timely and somewhat painless fashion and it looks like things haven't changed in the customer service dept.
After I received my damaged speaker, I emailed Ascend and said I'd attempt to fix it myself. Got a call from Dave F. a few minutes later (midnight EST) "requesting" I not attempt it. That's how I first got to know Dave F. At that moment, I knew I had chosen the right speaker company. :D

David

GirgleMirt
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM

Wow... Are these really how the b-stocks are supposed to look? :eek: I can understand miner cosmetic blemishes, or things that you can't see with the grills on, but thats pushing it a little!

;)

curtis
12-04-2006, 04:56 PM
When I was in college...many moons ago, I was on the tennis team. During this time of year, UPS would actively recruit student athletes for part time temporary jobs for the very reason James mentioned. I never took a UPS job, but many of my friends did,.....some of the stories they told just made me shake my head. :eek:

The tennis players that took the jobs handled the boxes very carefully......they guys that I would be afraid of were the ones on the swim team. :D

muzz
12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Mine are coming tommorrow, I sure hope they are not like those!!

I tried to pick them up myself today when I was out..
They wouldn't let me, excuses etc...

The less times a gorilla has to handle something, the better in my book.

daman
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
I've tried to pick up packages a few times. They always tell me we have to make at least one attempt to deliver. Mine were already delayed one day because of bad weather.They were to be here today BUT oh well. I think I'd start crying like a baby if mine were delivered looking like that!

Later, Daman

davef
12-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi guys,

Not quite sure what happened in the last few days. We have received at least 5 damage reports. Granted, we are shipping a LOT of loudspeakers right now -and- UPS has loads of temp workers but nothing upsets me more than damage like this.

Just for my own curiosity, I went out back and dropped a set of loudspeakers (fully packaged) from various heights. They survived drops up to 4 feet, even when landing on a corner. At 6 feet, there was damage. BTW, PLEASE Don't try this at home :p

What are these guys doing to my loudspeakers :( ( I probably don't want to know)

We shipped a huge order to Puerto Rico -- perfect, another to Canada -- perfect and one only about 100 miles away and there was some damage.

We are going to add some additional cushioning and protection to everything we ship, at least until the "season" is over. Hopefully, this will help.

The good news is that UPS has been paying these claims without problem.

Abhi
12-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Guys,
I received my speakers today. One of them was pretty badly smashed. What puzzles me is the boxes were in good condition. When I opened them and got the speakers out, I found one of them had something rattling inside the cabinet.
My guess is the speakers were pressed against each other very hard during the transit. The other speaker does not show any sign of damage though. I haven't yet hooked it up.

Dave,
I think some addition foam separation between the speakers might help.

Abhi

Abhi
12-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Well...this is what it was....

This is exactly how my new CBM-170SE looks.

Lou-the-dog
12-04-2006, 10:32 PM
It appears that due to the extreme handling condititions that the woofers could use some additional dampening during transit. Those UPS folks must be dropping these speakers HARD and the drivers just can't take the punishment. Hard part is to find some additional cushioning that won't scuff the drivers. Good luck Davef.

Randy

AscendsIn808
12-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Just for my own curiosity, I went out back and dropped a set of loudspeakers (fully packaged) from various heights. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Same damage here to one of my b-stock 170s delivered on Fri. My giddiness upon getting a box from "Ascend Acoustics" just in time for the weekend turned to horror as I removed a speaker grille and saw the carnage ... :(

Box was in good shape. Sent a full set of pictures to Dave F.

davef
12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi Guys,

This is a true nightmare of a problem and I am completely dumbfounded. The CBM-170 has used the exact same packaging material for 7 years. We are talking 7 years worth of shipping CBM-170 (this is a LOT of speakers)
Absolutely nothing on our end has changed. 1 even 2 weeks ago, deliveries were fine.

We once ran into a problem where UPS had a new hire at the depot and for a few days, damage reports were higher than normal and after he was let go, no more damage. I suspect something like this is happening again.

The only thing I can rationally conclude is that these are being dropped onto load/unload conveyers from serious heights, many times during transit.

I have initiated a thorough UPS investigation and until I figure out what is going on, we are going to hold shipments.

This is absolutely NOT ACCEPTABLE TO ME!

If you are reading this thread and have received damaged product, or even suspect your product is damaged without even opening up the packaging, please contact me privately at davef@ascendacoustics.com

Of course, we will take good care of you.

Jorge_Burrito
12-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Add me to one of those that had a detached woofer. Seems odd...any chance that maybe a bad batch of drivers in terms of mechanical strength of the bracing? Just a thought..although I am sure it is UPS fault....I could see them having competitions on who can throw ascend speakers boxes in the air the highest. Anyways, props to Dave for seemingly being dissapointed as I was about the damage and for taking care of the issue quickly.

davef
12-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi Jorge,

So sorry to hear of another report. Please send me an email (if you haven't done so already)

>any chance that maybe a bad batch of drivers in terms of mechanical strength of the bracing?

Anything is possible at this point but the woofers we are using are from the same production batch we have been using for the past 2 months. However, a complete investigation is in order even if I have to destroy 2 dozen cabinets in the process.

I should say that the damage reports are still quite low considering just how many loudspeakers have been delivered in the past few days.

Jorge_Burrito
12-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi Jorge,

>any chance that maybe a bad batch of drivers in terms of mechanical strength of the bracing?

Anything is possible at this point but the woofers we are using are from the same production batch we have been using for the past 2 months. However, a complete investigation is in order even if I have to destroy 2 dozen cabinets in the process.

I should say that the damage reports are still quite low considering just how many loudspeakers have been delivered in the past few days.

I figured as much but thought I would throw it out there as a possibility. The only real reason I mentioned it is as others have indicated, the box itself was in remarkable condition considering what I usually get from UPS. If it is just an issue of a box being dropped and landing level, the box itself probably would not be damaged much though. Regardless good luck with hunting down the issue.

In terms of contacting you...you have already helped me out with getting a replacement on the way proving once again how great the customer service is at Ascend. Anyone who likes the Ascend sound should not hesitate to order.

muzz
12-05-2006, 04:18 AM
Thats some serious damage. Almost like they knew what they were doing.

Muzz waits patiently for his speakers to arrive, prays they were not manhandled from >4'

Drew.Ri
12-05-2006, 09:37 AM
I received my Ascend's yesterday as well. Though UPS did give me a scare by delivering only 2 of 3 boxes at first, they dropped the third box on my front step sometime yesterday evening. Unfortunatly I was having a pretty rough day dealing with Comcast (evil, evil beings) and a lack of cable and internet while I was trying to work from home, as well as Verizon having added some weird miscellaneous county fees to our bill, from a county we don't live in. So with all the other hassles yesterday I didn't get the chance to test the speakers or give them more than a external visual inspection.

Anyway, the Ascend's seem to be in perfect condition. The boxes were a litlte banged up, with a couple of decent gouges in the boxes. No markings or scratches on the exterior of the speakers. I paid extra attention to where the gouges in the boxes had been. After reading this post today though, I am now nervous that I am going to get home, take off the grill covers, and find horrible things.

When I get home tonight I am going to give the speakers a very thorough inspection, and hopefully some wonderful listening as well. I'll report back then, hopefully with a good positive delivery experience to offset the negative karma that UPS is generating.

I must say though that I have been more than impressed with Ascend's service so far.

pegleg
12-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I've tried to pick up packages a few times. They always tell me we have to make at least one attempt to deliver. Mine were already delayed one day because of bad weather.They were to be here today BUT oh well. I think I'd start crying like a baby if mine were delivered looking like that!

Later, Daman

Daman,
That is NOT true. You can try to get a deal with the local office (I did, but they hate going up my dirt road) to have packages held for pickup. It works much better for me. And the drivers appreciate not going up my road.
Pegleg

Jonnyozero3
12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Dang Dave,

This is a shame. Thanks for handling it so well - I hope you can track down the issue with UPS. It just has to be some temp guys tossing boxes in such a way that the force dislodges the driver, but they aren't doing much damage to the boxes. I'm really curious how they're managing to do it, especially considering it took you a drop of 6' to do the same....

Drew.Ri
12-06-2006, 04:42 AM
Just wanted to report back in. I gave the speakers a full inspection last night and tested them out for a while. The speakers appear to be in perfect condition. I'm thankful for that.

I only got to listen to the speakers for an hour or so last night, but I must say. Holy cow! They sound incredible. With my old speakers, the basement theater had been just that, a theater for movies only. No music since the speakers were so bad. Last night I say and enjoyed some music for the first time in a long while. Ella Fitzgerald sounded fantastic, and the Boston Pops Celtic album was incredible.

Thank you Ascend for making such amazing speakers. I can't wait for a day off so that I can spend some time to get the speakers adjusted properly.

davef
12-06-2006, 10:08 PM
The mystery continues....

This situation has us all baffled... The damage reports seem to be isolated to a specific span of 2 - 3 shipment days. No damage for product shipped after these days and normal reports of damage claims (very low) before these days.

Regardless, we have implemented some rather dramatic packaging changes for our heavier shipments. Each loudspeaker is now fully wrapped in bubble wrap. This is one of the major advantages of assembling our product in house -- running changes. The ability to make an immediate change in procedures and assembly.

Sal and I threw a boxed pair of bubble wrapped CBM-170s up over our heads and onto a concrete floor 6 times (until I was out of breath, damn -- need to get some personal training from our resident superhero (tjennings))

We will stay with the precautionary packaging throughout the holiday season despite the tremendous amount of extra work and expense.

To UPS -- good luck destroying these (just in case you are reading this, I am joking, please don't try ;) )

Jonnyozero3
12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Sal and I threw a boxed pair of bubble wrapped CBM-170s up over our heads and onto a concrete floor 6 times (until I was out of breath, damn -- need to get some personal training from our resident superhero (tjennings))

...file this under things you never thought you'd do after starting your own speaker company :D

bikeman
12-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Video. We want video.
As nice as tj is, he's not on my list of personal trainers. I don't think that Barry Bonds trainer/Pharmacist could get me to keep up with tj. There's also the mortality question. :D

David

Jonnyozero3
12-07-2006, 09:27 AM
lol, this reminds me I need to go running today, but it's 19 degrees out :p

curtis
12-07-2006, 11:02 AM
lol, this reminds me I need to go running today, but it's 19 degrees out :p
69 degrees where I live.
75 degrees here at the office.
71 degrees in Gardena where Ascend is.
:D

Nutty.

Jonnyozero3
12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Please leave this thread immediately.

curtis
12-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Please leave this thread immediately.
LOL! :D

I'll be honest though, I am a weather wimp.

bikeman
12-07-2006, 02:29 PM
The weather in Omaha will make a man outta ya. Unfortunately, that pertains to the women as well. And sheep keep a weary eye. :D :D :D

David

tjennings
12-08-2006, 04:28 AM
LOL, hey guys, I think Dave has a new workout for me to try, sounds like a good one! Only I'll use something other than his awesome speakers, like perhaps a medicine ball ! :p

I placed my order to upgrade my classic 340 mains to the 340 SE's so I'll sleep better next week knowing that my new babies are safely bubbled. Can't wait to hear them matched with my 6 month old 340 SE center!

Hope you got a nice run in Johnny! I have a 5K race Saturday morning so I've been tapering the past few days to build up strength for it. Hope the weather cooperates. Currently it is 24 out, up from 19 degrees when I went to bed last night. Heat wave.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jorge_Burrito
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
I got my replacement speaker yesterday and everything seems to be OK. Is it wrong that I was glad to see the box a little beat up?

I have not done too much listening, but so far I actually like the classics a little bit better then the se (although they both sound rather similar)....does that make me crazy? I just plopped them into the position where the classics were though and just did a quick volume match....it may be I just need to play around with placement and calibration a litttle more.

Abhi
12-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Dave,
Thanks for handling the issue in timely manner.

wineguy
12-08-2006, 11:43 AM
A big thanks to Dave and his crew for doggedly looking for a solution for us unfortunate few! I think my replacements are due to arrive on Tuesday. Very nicely done Ascend!

bikeman
12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
I have not done too much listening, but so far I actually like the classics a little bit better then the se (although they both sound rather similar)....does that make me crazy?
I had the same experience when I first got my SE's. Part of this was my inablility to set aside enough quality time to do a fair comparison. Alergies didn't help the process either. I wound up keeping the SE's but the Classics held their own, no question.

David

Jonnyozero3
12-08-2006, 02:16 PM
The weather in Omaha will make a man outta ya. Unfortunately, that pertains to the women as well. And sheep keep a weary eye. :D :D :D

David

You guys crack me up :D

Curtis - I've gotten used to a lot of different temps - grew up in upstate NY (freezing cold), moved to colorado for 4 yrs (super dry, with blazing sun b/c of altitude), then to San Antonio, TX (114 deg in the summer with like 80% humidity), and now to Omaha, which has surprised me with: -20 below temps, horrendous wind chill, then 104 deg summers with amazing humidity. I didn't think the midwest had such a dynamic temp range.

Also - Dave F, I am very pleased with my working SE's :)

curtis
12-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Highs this weekend low to mid 60's....lows around 50, expecting rain.

I went to college in the SF Bay area, and I remember the first time having tennis practice in high 40, low 50 degree weather. It was a weird experience thinking my vision was getting blury/cloudy only to find out it was because of the steam coming off of my head. :eek:

GirgleMirt
12-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Ha its about 0 degrees farenheit here. Yesterday I had to take out the winter coat. :(

I'm freezing my butt!

[edit] Liking new SE's less than original version. Maybe breakin is the problem?

muzz
12-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I was in Maine this am....
It was about 15 degrees, with a 15-35 MPH wind....

Needless to say, it was cold.......
I wasn't diggin' it!!

Glad to be home, in my 68-70 degree room, listening to tunes!!

Jonnyozero3
12-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Ha its about 0 degrees farenheit here. Yesterday I had to take out the winter coat. :(

I'm freezing my butt!

[edit] Liking new SE's less than original version. Maybe breakin is the problem?

Are you running any sort of auto-eq that could be acting weird? Did you check them carefully for damage after transit?

curtis
12-08-2006, 04:09 PM
I thought you just had SE's.....when did you get the originals?

GirgleMirt
12-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Oh no sorry I was replying to an earlier comment about someone prefering the originals to the new 170SE! sorry for the confusion.

I got my replacement speaker yesterday and everything seems to be OK. Is it wrong that I was glad to see the box a little beat up?

I have not done too much listening, but so far I actually like the classics a little bit better then the se (although they both sound rather similar)....does that make me crazy? I just plopped them into the position where the classics were though and just did a quick volume match....it may be I just need to play around with placement and calibration a litttle more.

I was just saying breakin might have been the difference as the new SE were not broken in yet. So maybe after the breakin it would somewhat change his opinion of the SE vs classics.

The only Ascends I have heard are the 340SE :D They are working absolutely great, sold off the Totem Sttafs not so long ago as they really were not getting any use.

Jorge_Burrito
12-09-2006, 11:35 AM
There is no auto equalizer problems and I am not a big believer in break in (beyond that which occurs in the users mind at least). Anyways I have listened a little more and played around with the position of the speakers a little. I think what is bothering me is the SE seem a little brighter to me. It may be I am getting some room interactions with the different tweeter that I was not seeing in the classics. Doesn't really seem to be any huge difference in the bass (I know the SE go a little deeper, but I can't tell the difference with a 80 Hz crossover to my sub). The midrange actually seems a little cleaner in the SE. Anyways I should emphasize all these differences are rather small and may go away or in the SE favor as I continue to tweak both my receiver setting and my placement. I am actually really happy I am getting a chance to do the comparison and will be keeping the SE.

GirgleMirt
12-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Are you listening with the grills on or off? I removed the grills off my 340's SE and noticed an increase in brightness. So maybe the grill tames off the highs a little bit... Or, maybe its just my imagination...

curtis
12-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Have you ever had your hearing checked?

The SE has a broader frequency range than the classics and maybe you are hearing or percieving that extended response.

I agree, the mids are a bit cleaner.

Jonnyozero3
12-10-2006, 10:07 AM
We are so terrible :) Someone says they don't think they care for the speakers and curtis and I suggest that either his hearing or the speakers are broken, hahaha :p

Just re-reading, it's kind of funny.

curtis
12-10-2006, 10:11 AM
yeah...it is bad, but after meeting a couple guys that can hear the extended frequency response, I really wonder what they hear.

Jorge_Burrito
12-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Have you ever had your hearing checked?

The SE has a broader frequency range than the classics and maybe you are hearing or percieving that extended response.

HMMM this is an actual interesting suggestion. While I have never had my hearing checked (at least not since i was a kid) there has been a couple instances where I have heard annoying high pitched sounds (Mainly from electronics) that others have not heard. I am almost curious to get a check now...what is the Normal hearing range for a mid-twenties individual?

curtis
12-11-2006, 01:09 PM
HMMM this is an actual interesting suggestion. While I have never had my hearing checked (at least not since i was a kid) there has been a couple instances where I have heard annoying high pitched sounds (Mainly from electronics) that others have not heard. I am almost curious to get a check now...what is the Normal hearing range for a mid-twenties individual?
Some good info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_(sense)

I have read that on average, starting at 20hz, subtract about 1khz every 10 years.

belvedere
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Well, I'm a new ascends owner... Here's my very fresh UPS story (just got them today, just emailed cust service about what to do). I'll let the pictures do the talking. No major damage on the box for me either:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/67755666@N00/H552F2

edit:
and yes my speakers were bubble wrapped and the other one seems fine, listening to it now. I guess I shoot you a copy of the email I sent, davef.

muzz
12-12-2006, 06:41 PM
O man, what a shame, they completely destroyed that 340.....

Sorry to see that B , but I'm certain Dave and crew will take care of you promptly.

Good Luck with you next set.

m

belvedere
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Muzz thanks for the sympathy. and davef... WOW. No kidding, I've already gotten 2 emails back from davef. My friends don't even email back that quick! Thanks for the great customer service. Definately made the right choice getting ascends!

muzz
12-12-2006, 06:53 PM
They sound awesome as well...... :D

belvedere
12-12-2006, 06:58 PM
So far they sound good (using a 340c and non imploded 340 for stereo). Still haven't wired up my 170 rears, I think I'll get to that tomorrow. Shouldn't be a problem (at least they weren't imploded) but I wanna test em up good before I hoist em up on the ceiling.. hehe (gonna rig em up with cable from my 12' ceiling, guess I'll post pics when I'm done...)

muzz
12-12-2006, 07:09 PM
An old buddy of mine lived in an Apt building, and loved to listen to his music LOUD....

He had his Infinitys hanging from the ceiling(fairly large speakers!!), and with that he was able to crank them up quite a bit louder.

Don't forget to post pics!!

m

Jonnyozero3
12-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Well, I'm a new ascends owner... Here's my very fresh UPS story (just got them today, just emailed cust service about what to do). I'll let the pictures do the talking. No major damage on the box for me either:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/67755666@N00/H552F2

edit:
and yes my speakers were bubble wrapped and the other one seems fine, listening to it now. I guess I shoot you a copy of the email I sent, davef.

Anyone else reminded of the movie...Tank Girl?

Jonnyozero3
12-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Update for Dave F. & all:

The replacement pair arrived today (very quick!) and look to be in great shape. I'm letting them warm up tonight and I'll listen to them tomorrow. Thanks for the prompt help!

S_rangeBrew
12-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Anyone else reminded of the movie...Tank Girl?

That's random. Now I've got to put that and Ice Pirates in my Netflix queue. Thanks a lot.

Jonnyozero3
12-13-2006, 05:14 PM
That's random. Now I've got to put that and Ice Pirates in my Netflix queue. Thanks a lot.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3104/tank226mo.jpg

:D Can't find the actual film footage photo though... :o

muzz
12-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Lori Petty does NOT have ummmmmmmm.........
:D :eek:
Yeah, thats it!!

Jonnyozero3
12-13-2006, 06:14 PM
haha, I swore they had a scene in the movie where she wore some....rockets....

...seriously! :p

belvedere
12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I hate to admit it, but when i took my wrecked 340s out of the bubble wrap I thought they looked like... *cough* bee stings *cough*

btw, I have to give props to davef and co. my replacement shipped today! less than 24 hours after my initial email.

Also here's some more pics of my future setup.... its a work in progress. If you have a pedestal tv (sammy hlp-5685) like me, might give you some ideas. Also my "ascended" 170s, well one of em.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/67755666@N00/4530a3

details: I don't trust the drywall behind my tv, so I found some ikea stands (2) that fit my measurements almost perfectly... below screen but above ir sensor. Spanning the gap between the two ikea tables is 4 feet of 3/4" mdf (left over from hanging 170s). The 170 are ratchet strapped to 9x14 3/4" mdf that is suspended to an eye bolt using 1/8" insulated cable. I'm liking the look (I live in a condo built from a converted shoe factory, so the industrial look fits in).

Jonnyozero3
12-13-2006, 08:14 PM
bee stings?

http://files.myopera.com/Bj%c3%b8rk/albums/60609/thumbs/Bee%20Sting.jpg_thumb.jpg

belvedere
12-13-2006, 08:16 PM
good god thats foul. but yea, you know, bee stings, elbows, not well endowed, mammary gland challenged... etc... trying to keep this thread pg13

Jonnyozero3
12-13-2006, 08:36 PM
"mammary gland challenged" is by far my favorite :D

Edit - I don't think any girl packing 340s would be half bad.... :p

tjennings
12-19-2006, 05:09 PM
The UPS guy just arrived a bit ago at 7:50 PM (!!!) - ONE DAY EARLIER than their anticipated delivery date! My L / R main 340 SE's have arrived to replace my classic 340's - hurry up and warm up to room temperature my lovelies, I want to hear you! Fantastic early Christmas present! :D The boxes arrived in pristine shape, but I'm glad Dave is doing the extra bubble wrapping of each speaker just in case - a really nice touch!

Jonnyozero3
12-19-2006, 07:37 PM
"my precious!"

tjennings
12-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Yes, those were the two words I was searching for but couldn't come up with them in my excitement! Christmas on Dec 19th! I'm hanging tough and letting them warm up for 24 hours before I fire them up Wednesday evening when I get home from work. Yes, ultra running creates the mental toughness required for such an incredible act of will power. ;)

Jonnyozero3
12-20-2006, 06:16 PM
how is that running going by the way? what kind of training runs are you doing now?

I stopped running for a couple of months, so I need to start working on my base again and make sure to get the strength training in so I don't hurt myself. I feel like I'm starting all over.

tjennings
12-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Training is going well - actually going to Mohican this Saturday for a 21 mile trail training running with other Mohican 2007 participants, should be fun!

I started Mark V's CORE PERFORMANCE programs to build flexibility, strength etc. in addition to the running. Check it out at coreperformance.com, I bet it would be right up your alley Jon.

tjennings
12-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Oh, and the 340 SE mains sound great so far right out of the box, can't wait to hear how they sound in a week or so after some breaking in!

tjennings
12-26-2006, 09:35 PM
... and all I have to say is WOW! The mid-range clarity and extra kick these babies have over the classics is simply jaw-dropping. After a week of mostly CD's, DVD-A and SACD listening, tonight I fired up some concerts that I was VERY familiar with - or at least I thought I was! The extra detail that was coming through stunned me. Vocals, violins, piano, guitar... all just amazingly clear, it was like I was right there AT the concert.

And I put in a movie - one of my favorite demos - the gunfight scene of OPEN RANGE and I'm sure neighbors were going to call the police due to the shooting going on at my house - SPECTACULAR! So realistic!

I loved my 340 classics... but these 340 SE's are simply a step above. I'm one happy listener! :p

dan121
12-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Just had the same thing happen to me.

Last speaker to remove from the box too and already sent an email to tech support. Should I of sent it to customer service?

jamesg
12-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Dan, sorry about the inconvenience. Please phone us at 310-719-9786 so we can handle this problem immediately. Thanks.

James

Havelcek
01-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I got my set two weeks ago and they were in perfect condition. The packing was vastly superior to anything else I've received in recent memory.

dan121
01-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Ascend is amazing.

I have yet to hook up my speakers yet, but I got my replacement 170 a week later and the customer service was great.

Now I just need to figure out what to do to mount my center speaker.