PDA

View Full Version : B-Stock 170SE // $100 Off // I ordered a pair today.

1Time
11-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Was on the fence for a while now about whether to buy a pair, but at this price I could not resist.

bikeman
11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
If I wasn't putting money into a widescreen, I'd have jumped at that price. It dosen't matter that I don't really need them, I still want a pair of 170's.

David

1Time
11-23-2006, 11:59 AM
If I wasn't putting money into a widescreen, I'd have jumped at that price. It dosen't matter that I don't really need them, I still want a pair of 170's.

David

lol... You're a stronger man than me then. I'm saving up for a widescreen in the near future too and didn't "need" the 170's either. Just could not resist at this price.

wineguy
11-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I too could not pass it up. I was all set to get some bookshelves for my parent's x-mas present. Almost pulled the trigger on some Onix x-ls for ~$250 shipped. I am a former owner of the 340 Classics, so when I saw 170se's for $268 shipped....well let's just say the ol' plastic hasn't jumped out of my wallet that fast in a while :D What kind/extent of "cosmetic damage" does Ascend usually let pass? This is my first time getting a b-stock item from anyone.

davef
11-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi Guys,

Happy Thanksgiving!

These B-stock units are in very good shape... There were 3 categories of minor problems:

1. Finish "texture" was slightly off (color is perfect) and didn't match regular production. We probably could have sold these as new but since the finish was slightly off, we would prefer to just let them go as b-stock.

2. Rout depth on the tweeter or woofer higher than our allowable tolerance. This means that the tweeter or woofer is sitting slightly higher than flush.

3. A minor scratch, nick or smudge.

Our cabinet vendor gave us some credit towards these units and I need the warehouse space now (3 containers of goods due in the new few weeks).

I haven't looked at the quantities yet but I don't think there will be any of these left by Monday. They are going FAST.

Happy Turkey Day!

wineguy
11-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Sounds great! I can' t wait to see them. Last year's gift was a Hsu STF-2, so the addition of a pair of 170se's and they will be sittin' pretty :cool:

muzz
11-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Just ordered a set of 170's and a 340se CC.
I just couldn't resist the price of such a highly regarded speaker. :D

I'll let ya know what I think, first foray into Ascends!!

KojiroTakenashi
11-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Boo, gone by Monday. Don't have the stuff to pawn :( Dave, I don't suppose this is the price you offer on all B-Stocks ever, or just on this particular batch?

Abhi
11-25-2006, 01:24 AM
I am a former owner of the 340 Classics, so when I saw 170se's for $268 shipped....well
Congratulations wineguy! It's a heck of a deal!
I also ordered a pair, but for $288 shipped. We, californians, pay the same flat rate shipping($20) and tax too ($20)!

bikeman
11-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Congratulations wineguy! It's a heck of a deal!
I also ordered a pair, but for $288 shipped. We, californians, pay the same flat rate shipping($20) and tax too ($20)! In short, we pay more for living closer to Ascend Acoustics! What an irony! I had to update my cart from 2 pairs to 1. :-(.
You left coasters don't have to wait a week while UPS sends our Ascends by horse drawn carriage accross the continent. And occasionally lets one of the horses put a hoof through our woof. :mad:

David

1Time
11-29-2006, 08:03 PM
My SE 170s shipped today, Wednesday; I will get them Friday. I'm in Nevada so I only paid $268 shipped. Really looking forward to getting them now. I'm sure I will have fun playing them this weekend. Really looking forward to getting them.

curtis
11-29-2006, 08:08 PM
You guys getting the 170SE's, what will you be using them with? Electronics, subs?

muzz
11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
My SE 170s shipped today, Wednesday; I will get them Friday. I'm in Nevada so I only paid $268 shipped. Really looking forward to getting them now. I'm sure I will have fun playing them this weekend. Really looking forward to getting them.

Mine did too, unfortunately I won't get mine till the 5th.....

Unfortunately it seems that My 340SE CC hasn't shipped yet, it shows 2 packages, 32 lbs..
Hopefully that won't be too far behind.

EDIT: My 340SEcc HAS shipped. It said 2 packages, 32lbs......
It should have said 2 total packages, 60 LBS total weight.

My oversight, but I didn't see that there were TWO seperate tracking #'s(had to click 2 seperate packages, and Walllla!! 2 tracking #'s now.), I was only given 1.

daman
11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Mine are also on there way! My ship date will also be the 5th. I will power them with a Denon 3802. The sub will be a HSU VTF3 MKII.

Here's another guy who's really looking forward to this. I've been meaning to try Ascend for about 4 years now. My wife is'nt to excited though, I've got way to many speakers (LOL). If I like these my Onix XLS pair will be up for sale.

Later, Daman

1Time
11-29-2006, 09:26 PM
You guys getting the 170SE's, what will you be using them with? Electronics, subs?

I've got an older, small 100w Acoustic Research sub that still makes noise I'm going to try out. If that doesn't cut it, I may be getting a new sub. I'm open for suggestions / recommendations up to $500 or so.

Sony DVP-NS71HP DVD player
Pany XR-55 or H/K AVR630 receiver

curtis
11-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Mine are also on there way! My ship date will also be the 5th. I will power them with a Denon 3802. The sub will be a HSU VTF3 MKII.

Here's another guy who's really looking forward to this. I've been meaning to try Ascend for about 4 years now. My wife is'nt to excited though, I've got way to many speakers (LOL). If I like these my Onix XLS pair will be up for sale.

Later, Daman
Calibrated, that is going to be a nice pairing! It will sound much different than the X-LS.....I'll be interested in your impressions.

curtis
11-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I've got an older, small 100w Acoustic Research sub that still makes noise I'm going to try out. If that doesn't cut it, I may be getting a new sub. I'm open for suggestions / recommendations up to $500 or so.

Sony DVP-NS71HP DVD player
Pany XR-55 or H/K AVR630 receiver
Plenty of good subs in the $500 range.

wineguy
11-30-2006, 12:35 PM
The 170se b-stocks are going to my parents who will be running it with a Hsu STF-2 and the Pioneer VSX-516. I also scored the $100 rebate BB was running on the 516 right before Thanksgiving. The STF-2 was last year's X-mas gift, now the Pioneer and 170se's are this years gift to round it out.....what a good son :p Now I just need to make up my mind about stands for them.

Jonnyozero3
11-30-2006, 02:21 PM
My two pair shipped! woohoo!

My budget wasn't really ready for this, but hey, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Now I need to save up for the 340s :)

Oh, I'll be using my trusty old H/K AVR-435, sans auto-eq. They'll be enjoying good company with my lovely VTF-3HO Turbo.

Sam1000
11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I got my pair of 170se yesteday. I could not pass up the extender discount that made the pair even cheaper than the B stock option :)

I have set them up in the family room, where I plan to listen to them at a lower volume than my primary system. At this time, I'm not planning to get a sub for these. I listened to Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" album on these yesterday and was very happy. (The DVD for the same album sounded awsome on my 340s and 200s. It has a DTS track. The DVDs for "Hell Freezes Over" and this album is a nice way to demo your system. Anyways, I digess :o )

The 170s are larger than they look in the pictures. I thought that they would be a little bigger than 200s, but they are almost double the size. Don;t think my wife is impressed with their looks and size. Need to get those Bello stands to make the setup look a little nicer :p

RTD
12-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Got my B-stock 170SE's today. Nothing obvious to suggest B-stock. They look and sound fantastic.

My only regret is I didn't order a second pair.

Thanks, Dave!!

mv1612
12-03-2006, 03:27 PM
At last I ordered my 170SE pair. I wanted to do it for a long time and this was the moment I was waiting for. They've already been shipped so I should get them in a few days (airmail to Montreal).

These will be for my bedroom, hooked up to a computer. I have yet to buy a good audio card (thinking about Audiophile 2496), the wires and the stands, at least I have the amplifier. My problem is that I am a student and I have exams to take until Christmas, so I won't be able to connect my 170s before 2-3 weeks. Ouch!!!! :o :mad:

Virgil.

wineguy
12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
You left coasters don't have to wait a week while UPS sends our Ascends by horse drawn carriage accross the continent. And occasionally lets one of the horses put a hoof through our woof. :mad:

David

Damn! I jinxed myself by asking about the condition of the b-stocks! My brother-in-law got the 170's today (in Minnesota) and one of them was smashed all to hell :eek: My brother-in-law sent me a couple digital photos of the damage....pretty gruesome. Hoof in the woofer is not that far off actually. I tried to link the pics but could not make it work. He said, "I called and talked to some guy named Dave F.", which I thought was pretty funny. Anyway, I think I will also put in a call tomorrow since I was the actual purchaser, but it sounds like Dave is going to have a fresh pair sent out tomorrow. Hate to see that happen to a pair of speakers so young...sniff, sniff....they never got a chance to live! WHHHYYYY!?

Abhi
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Damn! I jinxed myself by asking about the condition of the b-stocks! My brother-in-law got the 170's today (in Minnesota) and one of them was smashed all to hell :eek:
....and I jinxed myself by complaining about the tax+shipping we californians pay! :-(. One of the speakers I received was also smashed badly.

wineguy
12-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Yeah, I ship wine for a living, so I am more than aware of the perils of shipping. Even so, it still blows when it happens to you though :mad: