PDA

View Full Version : HTM 200 For a 5.1 ?

scottkelly
11-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I was having a movie night with friends and one of the first time visitors just ordered a @#$% set from the P.X. and as usual I preached the gospel of Ascend and HSU . She is concerned about the size of the 340's and even the 170's bothered her but I don't recall hearing anyone using 5 HTM- 200's all around with a STF-1 ? Any reviews would be helpful .

bikeman
11-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Here's a link to a thread from August 05 where Dave F. addressed some issues with the 200's. I don't have time to re-read it right now but maybe there's something there that will be of help.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1249

David

JeffD2
11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
I had the 200's all around. When I first saw the 340s at Bikeman's place, one of my first comments was that they would have higher WAF.

I've since purchased David's 340s and the wife likes them better than the wall mounted 200s I had setup. I think they just look bigger in the on line photos than they actually are and IMO the difference in SQ is stunning. Granted during this same week I resolved my last room rattle by having a new front picture window installed. I had the 200s with an SVS PB10 which I could just never get quite right, always seemed a bit sluggish, however with 340's, bass is now tight and crisp crossed at 80hz (small). I've only got about 2 hours listening time in with just some rudamentary adustments by ear, playing with phase, and levels, no sound meter measurements, and I get goosebumps listening to the 340s. They're that good.

Get the measurements of the 340s and fashion your own box out cardboard to compare, you'll see.

As an aside- David was great to see you again in our brief enounter. We switched trunk contents in a parking lot, exchanged some cash and hoped the cops weren't watching ;). Shared a few laughs as well. Thank you.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/JeffD2/Kongscreen.jpg

scottkelly
11-21-2006, 10:15 PM
She was listening to my setup which consist of 3 340 se's upfront and 4 170's for surrounds and 2- VTF-3 mk-2 and a VTF2- mk-2 nearfield behind the couch and the problem I was having was trying to describe the difference in the systems and she does understand it will not be in the same league but what are the simplistic terms she will understand .

curtis
11-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Hold on......three 340SE's, four 170SE's, two VTF-3MK2's, and one VTF-2MK2's??? CRAP!!!

Simplistic terms? How about BIG and small?

scottkelly
11-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Oh yea forgot to mention radden let me purchase his turbo he had lying around . And I am using the HSU high pass filter to emulate the MBM on the VTF-2 placed nearfield so it was quite a challenge to calibrate the system . ( We do spend a lot of time indoors during the winter in Anchorage) And I did save up for a year and did about the same amount of research before making the first purchase . Needless to say I am the proud owner of a system that most people think cost 3 or 4 times the amount than I actually paid for it and I have had to bring out the shipping lists to prove how little it actually cost . If anyone ever wants a demonstration in Anchorage Please send them my direction , I am just trying to spread the word .

kinggimp82
11-22-2006, 01:51 PM
holy crap scott!! post some pics of that sweet system. out of curiosity how much did you pay for that system.

i have 170 se's for fronts, a 340c se for center, a hsu stf-2, and some 200s . in my medium room the combo is amazing. couldnt imagine what yours sounds like. wish i had more cash to devote to audio. i could always rob just 1 bank. lol but im proud to own ascends none the less.

scottkelly
11-23-2006, 10:59 AM
As soon as I get everything a bit more organized I will certainly get some pictures going . I think some of you will get a kick out of my choice for mounts for my side surrounds . I received my rewards from costco and couldnt think of anything I really needed so I used it for 2 LCD tv mounts that extend 18 inches out so I am able to give them a bit more forward position . It is a bit overkill but it looks kinda neat too . For $ 49.99 each when they get more I plan to use them all around ( we do get a alot of earthquakes in Alaska ) and it makes me feel more secure.

scottkelly
11-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Ok guys I am not a computer kinda guy so maybe you can help me get these pictures correctly sized so they meet the standard for attachments .

muzz
11-27-2006, 07:57 PM
You can download Irfanview, it's free.
Just google it.

Copy the pic, and paste it into the black screen( or just use File- Open).
Go to image
Go to resize/resample
Select size you want( on the right), or set the highest size you can post on whatever forum(keep aspect ratio).
Save as-

Very small footprint, and like I said, it's free.
You can also use the enhance colrs thing to set contrast/brightness/gamma correction etc.
You can do alot of editing with this little proggy.

Have fun!!

m

scottkelly
11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Let me know if this works . Thanks Muzz
The first is full front view.
#2 is the VTF2-mk2 nearfield behind couch.

scottkelly
11-27-2006, 08:32 PM
This is the LCD mount
#2 Is the left side sub VTF3-mk2 with turbo . It doubles as a cat step to the exterior window.

curtis
11-28-2006, 02:52 PM
If you can, you should try to move the 340SE's so that they are in front of the entertainment center......or at least that the front of the speakers are in front of the plane of the entertainment center.

edited per Gary's catch.

GaryB
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
...or at least that the front of the speakers are behind the plane of the entertainment center.I think you really mean that the fronts of the speakers should be in front of the plane of the entertainment center, i.e. closer to the listening position. :)

curtis
11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
I think you really mean that the fronts of the speakers should be in front of the plane of the entertainment center, i.e. closer to the listening position. :)
Oooops...thanks for catching that Gary...you are right!

scottkelly
11-29-2006, 03:00 AM
I guess the picture does look deceiving , the mains are actually in front by 3 inches or so except for the center and it is flush with the front plane of the entertainment center. And I constantly move the toe-in to get different effects , for instance with guest watching movies I find everyone(but me) gets better sound dispersion if I toe-out more forward and as soon as they leave It goes back to prime listening for me. I still use the cat laser toy and I have certain spots on the wall where I aim the speakers and after many hours of listening I have a good idea of where they sound best for now . Just as soon as I build these bass traps and other room treatments I will have to start over . Thanks for the tips though and as a relative noobie its good to know that people are able to help even with the smallest of details. While I am at it has anyone found an inexpensive alternative to the fairly expensive corner bass traps , I am still looking for the most sound absorption for the best price?