PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD/Universal Players and Amps

jcookson
10-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Now that I have a complete Ascend system, I've been thinking about upgrading my CD and DVD players (possibly with a universal player). Currently I have an older pioneer CD player, and an entry to mid-level sony DVD/SA-CD player (the $250 model). What do other people use for CD/DVD/Universal players, and have they found an appreciable improvement over entry level "big-retail brands"? I've read good things about NAD players, although I haven't heard any. Any other brand suggestions?

I'm also a little interested if people have heard significant improvements using external amps. Do most of you use external amps or the amplifier stages in your receivers? I have a Marantz SR-6400 which is a pretty descent receiver/amp. Have people found external amps to produce a large improvemnt over mid-level (Marantz, HK, Denon, Yamaha) amplifier stages.

Thanks,

jason

cyberbri
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I use a Denon 2910 (http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/228.asp). I got a good deal on a refurb unit from onecall(?). Gread upscaling DVD player, plus it does DVD-A, SACD, and has better D/A converters than my receiver.

Your Sony player is probably pretty good already. You'd be better off spending $ on room treatments (1st reflection points, maybe some bass traps) than on better electronics.

Jacob C
11-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I have heard very good things about the Oppo players priced about $150-$300 or so. Word is they are the price/performance kings right now. 2 of their players, including the new one coming out soon play DVD-A and SACD. I think I am getting one for my birthday. :)

curtis
11-03-2006, 06:45 PM
I sold my Denon 2900 and bought a Oppo 970.....I am happy and came out ahead.

BGHD
11-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Using Sony 975 upconverting DVD/SACD player for movies. Aside from having to turn it in to fix a major software issue, it's great. Connected to receiver via HDMI then out to tv.

Also have Pio 588 universal player for SACD/DVDA. Works great but am keeping my eyes open for any deals on an iLink-able player like the Pio 59avi or 79avi. Have also heard of some other brands that are compatible with iLink (Yamaha?). But, in no big hurry to upgrade.

S_rangeBrew
11-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm also a little interested if people have heard significant improvements using external amps. Do most of you use external amps or the amplifier stages in your receivers? I have a Marantz SR-6400 which is a pretty descent receiver/amp. Have people found external amps to produce a large improvemnt over mid-level (Marantz, HK, Denon, Yamaha) amplifier stages.

Thanks,

jason

I'm going with external amps simply for peace of mind. I have a Pioneer 1014TX, which is known as a good-powered (for low-end) reciever... and it blew up my Left and Right front main speakers. Right now, I don't know if they blew up because they just were not up to the task, or if the Pioneer was clipping and blew them up that way.
When I upgrade to a massive external pro-amp, if they *still* blow up, I will *know* the problem isn't clipping... it's that I need beefier speakers for my intended use. Simple.

The only problem is convincing the wife that I need another amp or two, when I was bragging about how awesome and what a great deal the $400 1014TX was. Oh well. :rolleyes:

curtis
11-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm going with external amps simply for peace of mind. I have a Pioneer 1014TX, which is known as a good-powered (for low-end) reciever... and it blew up my Left and Right front main speakers. Right now, I don't know if they blew up because they just were not up to the task, or if the Pioneer was clipping and blew them up that way.
When I upgrade to a massive external pro-amp, if they *still* blow up, I will *know* the problem isn't clipping... it's that I need beefier speakers for my intended use. Simple.

The only problem is convincing the wife that I need another amp or two, when I was bragging about how awesome and what a great deal the $400 1014TX was. Oh well. :rolleyes:
Can you say what you were listening to and how loud at the listening position?

S_rangeBrew
11-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Can you say what you were listening to and how loud at the listening position?

Because of the wonders of surround sound, and the fact the center speaker still works just fine, I don't know exactly when they blew. A week or so before I noticed it, I had been playing some rock concert DVD and a couple of movies with good music soundtracks. It was consistently loud. I've used a Radio Shack SPL meter to calibrate, and 105db and up is kinda painful in my little room, so it was definitely below that, because nobody complained about the loudness.

It's strange, because this pair of speakers and this amp have been together for over a year, and they have been cranked higher than that, for longer than that, a few times, with music. The only difference I can think of is that for the DVD, the system was probably in surround mode, and the amp puts out less power per channel in that mode vs. stereo, so maybe it clipped and did it's damage.

80hz X-overs were used at all times.

I'm going to have the speakers looked at, maybe I'll know more then. However, *definitly* eliminating clipping by getting a rediculously powerful pro-amp can't be a *bad* thing, can it? (I'm talking something like 500w/ch...)

tjennings
11-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I bought a Denon 2910 about 15 months ago and have been very happy with it. We hosted thanksgiving and we watched SAINTS AND SOLDIERS and the picture was so incredible looking (thanks to its HD upconversion) that my male family members thought I had made the jump to an HD dvd player. :)

cyberbri
12-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I bought a Denon 2910 about 15 months ago and have been very happy with it. We hosted thanksgiving and we watched SAINTS AND SOLDIERS and the picture was so incredible looking (thanks to its HD upconversion) that my male family members thought I had made the jump to an HD dvd player. :)

Yes, the 2910 does have an incredible picture. I'm using DVI and 720p on my DLP and absolutely love this player.

locomo
12-09-2006, 10:57 AM
I sold my Denon 2900 and bought a Oppo 970.....I am happy and came out ahead.

Curtis,
So do the Oppos's 5.1 analog out sound better than the 2900's ?

I've heard nothing but praise about the analog out on the Denon 2900.
maybe it's time for an Oppo 970.

curtis
12-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Curtis,
So do the Oppos's 5.1 analog out sound better than the 2900's ?

I've heard nothing but praise about the analog out on the Denon 2900.
maybe it's time for an Oppo 970.
Nope...the 2900 sounded better, but the Oppo is no slouch and I am happy with it.

The Oppo is a placeholder until the HD-DVD/BlyRay dust settles.

muzz
12-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I have a Toshiba- HD-A1 HD DVD myself.
Sounds and looks mint!!

Only problem is it's starting to act up with PLAYING HD DVDS!!

It seems like the drive itself is having a hard time seeing HDDVDS.

It may be getting sent in soon... :(

Sam1000
12-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Is anyone using this combination. I have heard that the mating is only possible using HDMI for playing SACD. How do you like the combination.
I'm thinking of buying either Oppo 970 or 981 for experiencing SACD music.
(340s front/200s surrounds xover at 80 with S12. Can't put 170s as srrounds yet due to placement limitations)

locomo
12-11-2006, 12:24 PM
970 is supposedly better sounding than the 981.

bikeman
12-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Is anyone using this combination. I have heard that the mating is only possible using HDMI for playing SACD. How do you like the combination.
I'm thinking of buying either Oppo 970 or 981 for experiencing SACD music.
(340s front/200s surrounds xover at 80 with S12. Can't put 170s as srrounds yet due to placement limitations)
I was just about to buy the Oppo 970 when my "bargain brain" found a Toshiba SD-6980 for about half the price of the Oppo. My TV does not support 1080P so the 981 didn't interest me. The picture over HDMI is stunning. I haven't seen the Oppo but it would be hard to imagine that it could be noticably better. I just ordered the interconnects from monoprice so I haven't been able to check the multi-channel audio just yet but I'll give it a go this weekend if my cables arrive by then. I think this unit became an orphan because of the success of the HD-A1. I using the optical cable to connect to my XR-55 for DD, DTS & 2 channel.

David

Sam1000
12-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks David. I will see if I can get the SD-6980 at a good price. Let us know your impressions about SACD playback on Toshiba.

MichaelG
12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
My wife bought me the OPPO 970HD for my birthday recently. I never tested it for SACD. I felt my current Sony NS70H DVD player had a better picture (even after a few days of calibrating and tweaking) on my 60"TV and didn't want to keep it as a one disc SACD player. I ended up sending it back and bought a Sony SCD CE595 which plays 5 discs and really love it. However, it does not play HDCD or DVD audio.

Michael

bikeman
12-11-2006, 02:57 PM
My wife bought me the OPPO 970HD for my birthday recently. I never tested it for SACD. I felt my current Sony NS70H DVD player had a better picture (even after a few days of calibrating and tweaking) on my 60"TV and didn't want to keep it as a one disc SACD player. I ended up sending it back and bought a Sony SCD CE595 which plays 5 discs and really love it. However, it does not play HDCD or DVD audio.Michael
Oppo dosen't recommend the 970 for displays as large as yours. My display is only 37" so the 970 would probably have worked just fine for me.

David