PDA

View Full Version : To Tune or Not to Tune?

killwiggles
10-13-2006, 03:14 AM
advice needed for a sub. How many of you actually use the variable tuning option of your subwoofers? Is this something I would set once and leave alone or a feature that I would continuously change between extension and output?

Seems that most people prefer deeper extension and just leave it alone, therefore why spend the additional money for VTF rather than STF?

bikeman
10-13-2006, 03:46 AM
Seems that most people prefer deeper extension and just leave it alone, therefore why spend the additional money for VTF rather than STF?
Some of us like options. For the difference in price, I'd go for the VTF. If ya know what your preferences are going in, the decesion is easier.

David

JHZR2
10-13-2006, 06:10 PM
FWIW, when I put in my order for my Ascend system (2.1) and explained what I wanted to use it mainly for (music), with just some bass augmentation for some music and when I use it for movies. They reccomended the STF-1, and I am more than happy with it. They essentially told me that I'd likely not need/use the variable tuning for what I wanted...

So I think it has to do with what you an ticipate to primarily use the speakers/sub to do. For an all-around multi-channel surround system that also plays a lot of music, it seems that youll likely want variable. For use with music reproduction, and a movie once in a while, the cheaper options seem to be fine.

"More and More" by Blood, Sweat and Tears is sounding GREAT right now.

JMH

BGHD
10-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Mainly went with the VTF3 since I wasn't sure if I preferred max output or max extension. Also, has slightly more watts over the STF3. Since setting things up, I've never even touched the port plug to even try max output. STF3 probably would've been fine for me, and for $100 less. No regrets though.