PDA

View Full Version : old speaker mod/upgrade?

drewface
10-03-2006, 08:25 PM
so... i have this pair of RCA speakers that came with my old cd/cassette/tuner/receiver stereo combo thing that i'd like to use as surround speakers for my system until i can afford to get some 340SEs for the front. the thing is, they have the speaker cable built in to the speaker, and it's quite thin. i've had them hooked up at a distance before by simply twisting their built-in cable with a longer piece of speaker cable that then made the trek to where my receiver is positioned. this worked alright, but i was wondering if it may be better to try to open up the speakers and replace the old speaker cable with some better quality cable.

the cable will need to be run at least 25 feet (that's my estimated distance), so i assume a thicker cable (i'd use 14 gauge i think) would allow the speakers to get more power to drive them. am i correct in assuming i can get better performance out of these speakers by replacing the current, built-in cable, or should i just not bother and stick with what i have?

curtis
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I doubt it will make a difference.

But if you can do it easily, it could be a quick and easy project.