PDA

View Full Version : HTM SEs? Redundant, says Dave? Idea inside!

KojiroTakenashi
09-19-2006, 09:41 PM
So, Dave, you've said before that since the woofers are nice n' efficient, there's really no need for use of the SE tweeter...

This is where I ask: But what if you take out the extra mid?

Not only would you get to use the new tweeter, but the speakers themselves should be smaller, too...Dominating the Multimedia and 'Lifestyle' market.

Just a thought.

DMD123
09-20-2006, 09:59 AM
In my current 7.1 set up I use four JBL N24's for my rear surround they have a 4" and tweeter combo and work quite well. I really would be interested in a small speaker like that from Ascend. The market trend right now is also toward smaller speakers, it would do well!

BradJudy
09-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath, it isn't that simple. Removing the second woofer does a couple of major things: it cuts the woofer surface area in half, reducing the low-end output and raising the required crossover frequency. It changes both the effeciency and impendance of the speaker. They may be able to compensate with changes to the crossover and re-specing the driver, but you might as well design a new speaker from scratch at that point.

Mike^S
09-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey Kojiro, how ya been? Haven't seen you on 3DSS forums lately. Do you still have my old cbm-170 center channel?

KojiroTakenashi
09-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Haven't been on the forums because the Ascends ate me. No, seriously...I spend a whole lot more time listening to music now. Maybe...too MUCH time.

I think that answers the question on the speaker...I can't wait to get an influx of cash...my current set'll get rear or "gift" duty, while I upgrade to SEs...Hmm...maybe finally put my new-used desk together and get CMTs...

Quinn
09-20-2006, 10:28 PM
In addition to what Brad said, Dave F. has his standards for sound quality. Just because there is a market for something doesn't mean Ascend will make something for it. In 6 years they have only come out with 3 speakers(5 if you count the SE versions). Ascend is not a company that is going to slap an extra driver in a speaker to have an offering at every $200 budget increment.

KojiroTakenashi
09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm talking about the removal of one driver, and the replacement of another. There are plenty of standard 2-way designs that can perform down to 80 hz...

Quinn
09-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm talking about the removal of one driver, and the replacement of another. There are plenty of standard 2-way designs that can perform down to 80 hz...

Yes, but how many can meet Ascend's sound quality standards? I think Brad's post covered everything that would go into making such a speaker.

GirgleMirt
09-21-2006, 05:47 AM
As mentionned is not as simple as that. Thats like saying "why not simply remove two wheels of the car and it would dominate the motorcycle market!" :p

Removing one driver would mean redesigning the crossover, using a different driver (as it probably uses two 4 ohms to make the speaker 8 ohms), changing the internal volume of the box, changing the ports, you mentionned changing the tweeter, so what do you have left, absolutely nothing of the original speaker!

Besides, Ascend already has a 2 way, the 170!

KojiroTakenashi
09-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes, but how many can meet Ascend's sound quality standards? I think Brad's post covered everything that would go into making such a speaker.

How many? All of the speakers made by Dave, of course :p

S_rangeBrew
09-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Besides every good point listed above as why it wouldn't be a good idea, here is the biggest one: Half the driver area = twice the distortion and half the volume. It would also reduce the efficiency, and, being a sealed design, the HTM-200 is already the least efficient Ascend design.
Also, removing 1 driver would make absolutely no effect on the parameters that would make the new SE tweeter useful. It's justs a loose, loose, loose idea. (I sound like I'm bashing the original poster, but I'm not trying to.)

Anyway, as I posted before, I have 7 HTM-200s in a 7.1 setup. Absolutely incredible sound, with seamless panning of sound all the way around. The really great thing about them, is the ability to mount them to drywall without any studs. I just used the BTech BT-33 wall mounts with the 90lb (overkill) toggle drywall bolts I found at Home Depot. You could hang a sack of potatoes off these things, and they are not going to sag or fall off the wall. I then ran the wires behind the drywall with one of those wire snakes. It came out great. Perfectly positioned speakers that look like they are just floating in front of the walls. Very sharp, and sounds great.

I guess I feel HTM-200s are already small enough to be **** Cube replacements, and don't need to get any smaller. They go down to 80hz, and with the dual 4" drivers... they are loud and clear! Leave them they way they are.....perfect!

bikeman
09-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Leave them they way they are.....perfect!
Perfect might be pushing it a bit but paired with a competent sub they would make a HT to be proud of. I currently use them for surrounds but I've used them as stand alones and I've never heard a cube that can touch them. Dave knows his physics.

David

KojiroTakenashi
09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I wasn't talking about cubes, I was talking about 'Lifestyle' systems in general...the best of which are currently made by Energy/Athena.

bikeman
09-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I wasn't talking about cubes, I was talking about 'Lifestyle' systems in general...the best of which are currently made by Energy/Athena.
I haven't heard the newer Energy's but I've heard the Athena's. They are quite different from Ascends. It won't be difficult to decide which you prefer. The company was just sold to Klipsch I believe.

David

BradJudy
09-25-2006, 01:01 PM
The company was just sold to Klipsch I believe.

Both were bought by Klipsch - Energy and Athena (and Mirage) have the same parent company: Audio Products International which the Klipsch Group bought.

http://www.klipsch.com/news-center/press-releases/details/klipsch-group-inc-acquires-audio-products-international.aspx

KojiroTakenashi
09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Gasp. There goes the Superior Canadian Neighbourhood...Sigh. The new Energy C series could actually begin to compete with Ascend. Back to the drawing board, I guess.