PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... 340SE stands fill? + softies bonus Q!

GirgleMirt
09-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Two questions, 1) Did anyone try to fill them up with sand? With the possible mod threads, I'd be curious to see if it would really make an audible difference.

2) the little soft round doohickeys that came with the stands, well, I thought they went underneath the stands in case someone didn't want to use the spikes (lol) so I didn't put them anywhere. Looking at the pictures (here (http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html), they seem to go between the speakers and the stands. Well, I didn't put them there, and it seems to sound fine anyhow :p Is it really better if they're there?

Totem uses some kind of putty between the speakers and the speaker base (where Ascends has pre-drilled holes and included screws, advantage Ascend!) Would it be better to use putty between the 340SE & stands, use the provided softies, or use nothing at all?

As I've learned, the putty seems to give a really good bond after a while; seperating both parts can be somewhat of a scary experience, as you're applying more and more pressure, you're somewhat praying that the putty will come off and not the veneer!

From what I've been told for the spikes, besides for obvious carpet use, the the idea is to somewhat couple the stands to the ground, form a better contact. The way they react to the vibrations is supposedly somehow better than no spikes or say rubber feet. Its supposed to improve the bass somewhat. But maybe its just for stability, anyhow. Putting softies between the stand and speakers somehow goes again that mindframe, as it would somehow absorb the vibrations and not directly transmit them to the stands to the floor... I even remember seeing bookshelves having spikes betweent the bookshelf and the stand...

So, wouldn't the best be if the stands and speakers were actually one? That failing, wouldn't you want both to be as solidly linked together as possible? If so, why the softies?

curtis
09-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I think there have been blind tests with other stands/speakers filled and not filled......no audible differences. So I think it is more for stability than anythingelse.

I think putting something between the base and the speaker is for protection, so either would be fine. I would opt for the doohickeys, since that putty may be hard to get off.

GirgleMirt
09-12-2006, 05:19 PM
ah, well I put them, I noticed no sound difference :p

So the spikes, do they really make a difference as say rubber feet when on hard wood floor lets say?

Mag_Neato
09-13-2006, 06:27 AM
I believe the spikes are primarily for use with carpet. They penetrate through the carpet and padding to contact the bare floor underneath, providing the stand a stable surface to rest on. If you plop the stands directly on the carpet, it will rock easily as the carpet/padding act as a springy surface. You want the spikes to extend far enough to reach the sub-floor while keeping the bottom of the stand from resting too heavily on the carpet.

BGHD
09-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Using 50lb sand in each. Using foam pads b/w speaker and stands along with supplied bracing. Using spikes into carpet to subfloor. Barring a major earthquake, my 340SEs aren't going anywhere.