PDA

View Full Version : Sub

jerseydevil
08-22-2006, 10:22 AM
I see that Ascend doesn't produce a three-way speaker. Is using a subwoofer preferable to a three-way?

curtis
08-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Even many three-way speakers would require a sub for LFE/deep bass work.

It is a very subjective matter, and IMO, comes down to how well the setups are integrated from a speaker/sub standpoint, as well as speaker/room.

Jonnyozero3
08-22-2006, 11:30 AM
I see that Ascend doesn't produce a three-way speaker. Is using a subwoofer preferable to a three-way?

That depends...is Kari involved?

Heh.

Lou-the-dog
08-22-2006, 05:34 PM
That depends...is Kari involved?

Heh.

Gosh, I just got in from a 6 hour drive so I'm a bit fuzzy. I'll admit it took me a while to get it...that's funny...perverted but really funny. :D

Randy

Jonnyozero3
08-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I figured I'd fall into a Forum lake of fire and fry for a bit, but couldn't pass it up. Especially after running into her in the subwoofer section of AVS only a few hours before. :)

For all those offended....ummm....

sorry? :D

Edit: Jerseydevil, sorry I don't have much to add to your question. I would venture a guess that a subwoofer is essentially needed for home theater use; I don't think many floorstanders (for any price I'm willing to pay) hit ~20Hz hard enough to be useful. I'd guess that true full range floorstanders or stereo subs would be ideal, but I don't seem to hear a lot about such setups. I think the 340s dig pretty well, but I think they are designed to be used with a sub for HT. For music, unless you listen to Pipe Organ stuff a la Dr. Hsu, I bet they'd do fine. I only have CBM-170s, so I'm going off of what others say around here.

curtis
08-22-2006, 07:37 PM
OK...I'm lost.

Jonnyozero3
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
OK...I'm lost.

Homework for my pal Curtis :)

Read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=712075

Think perverted...

Then reread the OP's post and then mine.

I'm bad :o

curtis
08-22-2006, 07:54 PM
I get it now!! :D

azanon
08-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Even many three-way speakers would require a sub for LFE/deep bass work.

All speakers require a sub to play LFE. LFE is a dedicated sub channel (aka the .1 channel) married with dolby digital and DTS. A "dolby digital" certified receiver, by definition, will include a sub preoutput which is where the .1 sound information will be sent (in addition to any low frequency sound from the other channels that you direct the sub's way).

I know you main point was to just say 3 way speakers often also could use a sub's help from a frequency standpoint, but i just wanted to clarify the LFE issue.

Azanon

Jonnyozero3
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm never going to get to meet anyone's daughters now am I?

azanon
08-22-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm never going to get to meet anyone's daughters now am I?

LOL. Well, i dont think its any big secret what probably 90% of guys are ultimately after when they are dating one's daughter. Truth is, by the time they probably reach 18, a dad is probably secretly searching for "a man" to take on the role of taking care of her. Ironically, her sexual appeal is one of the primary things that will sucker you into taking on the job. =p

curtis
08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
All speakers require a sub to play LFE. LFE is a dedicated sub channel (aka the .1 channel) married with dolby digital and DTS. A "dolby digital" certified receiver, by definition, will include a sub preoutput which is where the .1 sound information will be sent (in addition to any low frequency sound from the other channels that you direct the sub's way).

I know you main point was to just say 3 way speakers often also could use a sub's help from a frequency standpoint, but i just wanted to clarify the LFE issue.

Azanon
Totally understood...but also remember that some receivers/processors re-route LFE to the mains if there is no sub.

Jonnyozero3
08-22-2006, 09:18 PM
LOL. Well, i dont think its any big secret what probably 90% of guys are ultimately after when they are dating one's daughter. Truth is, by the time they probably reach 18, a dad is probably secretly searching for "a man" to take on the role of taking care of her. Ironically, her sexual appeal is one of the primary things that will sucker you into taking on the job. =p

I'm still working on getting suckered in. :p

Edit: The less cynical view would be that I'm still working on finding a dad's daughter to take care of :)