PDA

View Full Version : Basic starter system for under a grand

nymets
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
I need some recommendations on some ascend set ups. What are the current left right speaker and sub combos. I read a great review on the cbm 170 speakers. Are they still made? Has something else replaced them? Does Ascend have a factory website?

Quinn
08-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Click home at the top of the page for the main website page as you are already in the factory website. The 170 has been upgraded to the 170SE.

BradJudy
08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Ditto on what Quinn said.

Also, what are you planning on using them for (percentage movies vs music), and what are you powering them with (if you already have it or have picked it)?

For speaker combos, you can either go with 170SE or 340SEs for left and right. For a sub, I recommend the Hsu subs (offered through Ascend) or an SVS offering. Both are excellent subs at good prices.

The specific sub depends on your use and the size of your room - what are your room dimensions?

nymets
08-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Ditto on what Quinn said.

Also, what are you planning on using them for (percentage movies vs music), and what are you powering them with (if you already have it or have picked it)?

For speaker combos, you can either go with 170SE or 340SEs for left and right. For a sub, I recommend the Hsu subs (offered through Ascend) or an SVS offering. Both are excellent subs at good prices.

The specific sub depends on your use and the size of your room - what are your room dimensions?

Thanks Man,

I am looking into the cbm 170se with the STF 1 powered sub so far. I guess the powered sub will power the cbm speakers as well? Would I just need a passive controller receiver or would even a powered receiver still be good as a controller. I listen to about 50/50 music movies. The room is tiled under 1000 sf. What is svs?

BradJudy
08-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Unlike a typical computer speaker setup, the sub will not also power the speakers in most full sized speaker arrangements. You'll need a receiver as well (either stereo or surround depending on your needs). There are a lot of good receivers out there for not too much money. Is the $1k budget the total for everything? If so, do you also need a DVD player in that budget too?

1000sf is a BIG room (25ftx40ft - the size of the entire floor of many houses) are you sure that is correct?

SVS is another company that makes speakers and subwoofers. You can viist them at svsound.com.

nymets
08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Unlike a typical computer speaker setup, the sub will not also power the speakers in most full sized speaker arrangements. You'll need a receiver as well (either stereo or surround depending on your needs). There are a lot of good receivers out there for not too much money. Is the $1k budget the total for everything? If so, do you also need a DVD player in that budget too?

1000sf is a BIG room (25ftx40ft - the size of the entire floor of many houses) are you sure that is correct?

SVS is another company that makes speakers and subwoofers. You can viist them at svsound.com.

I meant to say the room is under 1000 sf it probably 26X20 = 520sf

The cubic feet of the room =5200

The budget would just be for the Speakers - Sub and receiver. I have an older Sony receiver but I have to check if there is a sub connection. I would want surround capability for growth. What do you think?

BradJudy
08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
520sq ft is still a large room. How loud do you listen to movies/music?

Are you looking for a full 5.1 (front left, front right, center, rear left, rear right and sub) set of speakers or just 2.1 (front left and right with a sub)?

For $1k, you can't do 5.1 with Ascend speakers and a receiver. You could do 2.1 for $1k.

For a room that large, I'd really recommend moving up to the STF-2 or SVS PB10-NSD. A pair of 170s plus a STF-2 is $780 including shipping.

There are some good receviers for under $300 like the Panasonic SA-XR55, Pioneer VSX816, Harman Kardon AVR-140, and Onkyo TX-SR504. Check out jr.com - they have good prices and are very good to deal with.

The combination would push your budget close to $1100, but I think the difference in the sub for that size room will be important.

nymets
08-09-2006, 06:52 PM
520sq ft is still a large room. How loud do you listen to movies/music?

Are you looking for a full 5.1 (front left, front right, center, rear left, rear right and sub) set of speakers or just 2.1 (front left and right with a sub)?

For $1k, you can't do 5.1 with Ascend speakers and a receiver. You could do 2.1 for $1k.

For a room that large, I'd really recommend moving up to the STF-2 or SVS PB10-NSD. A pair of 170s plus a STF-2 is $780 including shipping.

There are some good receviers for under $300 like the Panasonic SA-XR55, Pioneer VSX816, Harman Kardon AVR-140, and Onkyo TX-SR504. Check out jr.com - they have good prices and are very good to deal with.

The combination would push your budget close to $1100, but I think the difference in the sub for that size room will be important.

The ceiling is 10 feet so the cubic feet is 5200. I am thinking of going with the svs PB-10 sub with the pair of 170's. Do you think the sub will be enough. I do like to listen to the movies and music loud sometimes.

JeffD2
08-09-2006, 08:19 PM
For a room that size, and because you like it loud, the budget should be at least doubled. The PB10 is good, but not that good. You should email SVS or Hsu to get their recommendations.

Personally, I'd lean toward SVS. Hsu Research seems to be in disarray. Their recent VTF HO3 release is evidence of it.

nymets
08-10-2006, 05:10 AM
For a room that size, and because you like it loud, the budget should be at least doubled. The PB10 is good, but not that good. You should email SVS or Hsu to get their recommendations.

Personally, I'd lean toward SVS. Hsu Research seems to be in disarray. Their recent VTF HO3 release is evidence of it.

Well I have decided to go with the PB-12 svs as my sub. I think that should do well. I have contacted svs and I am awaiting their recommendation to see if this is a good fit.

BradJudy
08-10-2006, 07:42 AM

I wouldn't say that problems with the launch of one product mean a company is in disarray or that there's any reason not to order available, proven products from them. Granted, I wouldn't order a VTF-3HO until it's released and seems to be stable.

Of course, I don't think you can go wrong with your SVS choice. I haven't heard the PB-12, but I have heard different cylinder models from them and been impressed.

azanon
08-10-2006, 10:23 AM
If you listen to music in stereo, get cbm-170se's L/R, HTM's everywhere else, For sub, VTF-2 or equilivant.

A sweet, predominantly movie setup would just be HTM's everywhere with at least VTF-2 or equilivant. That'd probably also sound pretty cool for using soundfields with music, like DPLII, Logic 7, etc. But, again, if you're going to be doing music in stereo, you want at least CBM-170se's for L/R I think. I'm not a fan of stereo only, but I think more than half here are cause it was polled one time in the past.

Azanon

cyberbri
08-10-2006, 11:02 AM

Ascend doesn't have a flashy website like Axiom or Aperion either, and they had issues with running out of stock. But they still make quality speakers, and it doesn't mean Ascend is in "disarray". Just like HSU, even though they don't have a flashy website like SVS or big-talking marketing guys to sell their products. So I do not think your statements are fair. HSU have had some issues getting parts up to their high standards, and will release the product when it's ready.

I don't want to start anything about brands or between posters here. I'm just commenting on your comments. :rolleyes:

cyberbri
08-10-2006, 11:06 AM
To the OP - you'll want to get a new receiver as well. BradJudy had some good suggestions. I will add that you can get a factory refurb Harman/Kardon (HK) receiver from their Harmanaudio store on ebay at a very good price. I was able to get an AVR330 (#3 up, 1xx, 2xx, 3xx and so on) for well under $300 shipped just about a year ago.

And I agree that if you want quality, start off with a receiver, a pair of 170SEs, and a nice sub like the STF-3 or VTF-2 or VTF-3, or a comparable SVS model (I think they have a new model PB12 coming out soon or now).

Quinn
08-10-2006, 11:23 AM
HSU have had some issues getting parts up to their high standards, and will release the product when it's ready.

Good point. Hsu could of released this and sold many by now. They didn't because the parts did not meet their standards.

curtis
08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
And lets not forget, from Illka's latest tests, the VTF-3MK2 had much better group delay, impulse response, flatter and wider frequency response, and spectral decay than the other 12" subs tested.

The tests are posted at http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/.

Jonnyozero3
08-10-2006, 12:58 PM
...and curtis with the slam-dunk!

(((((((waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh !!![sound of cheering crowd]))))

curtis
08-10-2006, 01:14 PM
...and curtis with the slam-dunk!

(((((((waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh !!![sound of cheering crowd]))))
I really didn't mean it that way. I meant it as another way to gauge quality and quality sound.

Jonnyozero3
08-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah...I know. ;)

I was a little hyper after lunch. Found out my truck doesn't have a bad rear pinion bearing like a shop said it did (thieves).

I hate all those subwoofer arguments...so I guess I shouldn't almost start one huh? lol

Eddie
08-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks Man,

I am looking into the cbm 170se with the STF 1 powered sub so far. I guess the powered sub will power the cbm speakers as well? Would I just need a passive controller receiver or would even a powered receiver still be good as a controller. I listen to about 50/50 music movies. The room is tiled under 1000 sf. What is svs?

50/50 music to HT, you like it loud, $1K budget for everything, pretty big room. Hmm, that's tough.

Normally I am quick to recommend Ascends but yours seems a more unique situation. So I think I'll play devil's advocate and recommend a very different setup:

Athena AS-F2.2s, $400 shipped from audioadvisor.com
Insignia bookshelves, $40-50/pair for surrounds, from Best Buy
Acoustech H-100 sub, $230-250 (search for it)
Marantz 5400 receiver, $330 from accessories4less.com

The Athenas are considered "bright" by some, but would go very well with the "warm" Marantz, easily provide a convincing "phantom center," and with their twin 8" drivers would really fill up the space nicely with rich, nearly full-range sound...the H-100 is not in the same class as the SVS PB12 of course but with the F2.2s it doesn't really have to be. The Insignia bookshelves would be fine as surrounds during movies.

There's no doubt that the CBM-170SE is a more refined and accurate speaker than the Athena esp. for critical listening particularly of classical, jazz, and vocal/accoustic music. However, in such a big space and with your preference for fairly high volume I think you'd enjoy the Athenas' much bigger soundstage, much deeper bass extension, and slightly higher sensitivity more.

With the 170s in your large space, a robust sub is really key but it might not be so easy to find just the right placement and calibration so that the sub does not become too localizable in order to produce sufficient output especially at higher volumes. With the Athenas since the sub will mainly come into play during HT, you will probably get a more seamless integration keeping them on "large" and running the sub at a lower gain setting which may well result in equally clean/tight bass from the H100 compared to the 3x more expensive PB12.

Just my 2 cents...

JeffD2
08-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Ascend doesn't have a flashy website like Axiom or Aperion either, and they had issues with running out of stock. But they still make quality speakers, and it doesn't mean Ascend is in "disarray". Just like HSU, even though they don't have a flashy website like SVS or big-talking marketing guys to sell their products. So I do not think your statements are fair. HSU have had some issues getting parts up to their high standards, and will release the product when it's ready.

I don't want to start anything about brands or between posters here. I'm just commenting on your comments. :rolleyes:
- Agreed. I'm not trying to start a brand based flame war either intentionally or otherwise.

- Nowhere did I say anything about a "flashy web site". You want flashy, check out the Jack Links beef jerky web site. I went there for nutritional info today. No relevance to this discussion but a very cool site.

- AFAIK Ascend Acoustics has made REALISTIC deadlines, done the QC, BEFORE releasing product to the public. That's why they will be MY next speaker upgrade. Not to mention the OUTSTANDING customer service. I'm sure the CS will not deteriorate because the boss is attending his daughter's (fill in the blank) function for a couple of weeks.

- Big talking marketing guys? You're kidding right? :rolleyes: Two letters for you- P.M.

- Not fair to Hsu? This was supposed to be their flagship sub. It's been nothing short of fustercluck so far. Who CHECKED the drivers and the amps before assembling the product and shipping it? If this was the "other" ID sub company, you can just imagine the sh** storm.

Here is the jist of a thread from another forum that occured between me and P.M. You probably read it.

ME- "The drivers were defective"
PM- "No, they are out of spec"

ME- "The amp is twitchy"
PM- "No, it needs modification"

If that's not marketing spin and damage control, I don't know what is. Not to mention, the first person to receive the HO had it die almost immediatley and posted so on the Hsu forum.

Now people who order(ed) the HO are waiting until September for their orders.

To compare Ascend Acoustics with this debacle at Hsu is absurd.

Jonnyozero3
08-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Ouch, pretty scathing. Not saying your wrong, but that's a harsh way to come down on it all. Maybe I'm giving them some leeway because of their excellent reputation :) It's all good. For whatever the reason that everything happened the way it did, I still look forward to seeing the improved/fixed -3HO. I haven't forgotten that the "crippled" version was the match of the Ultra in Craig's test.

Re: the guy who's sub died - he had the gain *cranked* when he tried it out. Hell, I think he had it past the point where everyday working subs don't like to go, IIRC.

edit: also, I don't think the amp was "defective" they just found some things they could tweak and improve on. That doesn't mean it was broken. again, that's IIRC.

Could be my rose-colored glasses :)