PDA

View Full Version : Periodically Speaking............

soundfreak38
07-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Hello peeps hope all is well. Just doing my periodical check-in to see if anyone in the following area codes could offer me a demo:
Listed above are the area codes that are within a reasonable driving distance for me if a demo was offered. I reside in the 270 area and the 812 area is just across the Ohio River from me. The 618 and the 502 would require more driving BUT if it is reasonable then I would be more than happy to do so. I have tried the Frappr map but to no avail so I thought once again I would try it this way. I have managed to secure an Axiom demo and even got lucky with a Rocket demo. Now it is time to ascertain an Ascend demo. Can you obligue??? :p :p

soundfreak38
07-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Looks like same ole story. I am just sol. :( :( :(

curtis
07-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Give it some time, the forum doesn't have a whole lot of traffic, especially on weekends.

soundfreak38
07-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Give it some time, the forum doesn't have a whole lot of traffic, especially on weekends.
I understand that but it sure would be nice if someone was even remotely close that could offer a demo. Heck, I would be the happiest camper on earth itself!!!! ;) ;)

shane55
07-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Gee... just 'cause I feel a bit sorry for you, I'll give you some attention.;) :D

Also, 'cause I used to live in one of those area codes.:cool: Murray.

Cheers and good luck.

shane

Jonnyozero3
07-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah this really is too bad :(

At this point, I wonder if it might be worth throwing a pair of 170s on the credit card, and getting them for the 30 day trail. You'd only be out the cost of shipping if you decided not to keep them....that's a pretty low opportunity cost considering at this point it looks like you're willing to spend more than that in gas money alone, much less time.

Just a thought.

Quinn
07-30-2006, 04:16 PM
What happen to Metal Aaron? He was around that area wasn't he?

soundfreak38
07-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Gee... just 'cause I feel a bit sorry for you, I'll give you some attention.;) :D

Also, 'cause I used to live in one of those area codes.:cool: Murray.

Cheers and good luck.

shane
Hey Shane mind if I ask how you ended up in California? Were you going to school at Murray State when you lived in Murray? Just am curious as I used to go to school there but did not graduate from there. Thanks for your reply.

soundfreak38
07-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah this really is too bad :(

At this point, I wonder if it might be worth throwing a pair of 170s on the credit card, and getting them for the 30 day trail. You'd only be out the cost of shipping if you decided not to keep them....that's a pretty low opportunity cost considering at this point it looks like you're willing to spend more than that in gas money alone, much less time.

Just a thought.
Oh I could not agree more BUT there is just one problem--my credit card is maxeddddddddd!!!!! :D :D Otherwise I would at least give the 170's a shot. I do, however, have some credit on ebay so it kinda looks like I will be going with the Axioms at this point in time. But, you do make a good point.

soundfreak38
07-30-2006, 06:19 PM
What happen to Metal Aaron? He was around that area wasn't he?
I think I read somewhere that he is actually in the Chatonooga, TN area which is a long ways from me. I could be wrong though and if I am please let me know. Thanks for your reply.

BradJudy
07-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Oh I could not agree more BUT there is just one problem--my credit card is maxeddddddddd!!!!!

At the risk of sounding like your mom...then stop spending money! If your card is maxed, then buying speakers is the last thing you need to be doing. Take some time to get yourself into a better financial place, then get something.

curtis
07-30-2006, 07:11 PM
If your credit card is maxxed.....you couldn't buy speakers now anyways. :D

Save your cash...get some headroom on the card...and get some comparisons going.

Jonnyozero3
07-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh I could not agree more BUT there is just one problem--my credit card is maxeddddddddd!!!!! :D :D Otherwise I would at least give the 170's a shot. I do, however, have some credit on ebay so it kinda looks like I will be going with the Axioms at this point in time. But, you do make a good point.

Dude....get that CC taken care of, and make sure you have a Roth IRA (and work on maxing it out at $333.33 a month)...then worry about speakers. You'll be thankful when you're a millionaire at age 59.5. Ask for money towards the speakers for xmas or a bday or something. Trust me, they're just speakers. Other things should have a higher priority.

/soapbox :p

(yes I talk like an old man and I'm only 25)

Mag_Neato
07-31-2006, 05:28 AM
Hmm....if I got rid of our van payment I could max out a Roth IRA fund each month. Or, buy new speakers 4 times a year :D

metalaaron
07-31-2006, 08:57 AM
i'm still in choo choo land (chattanooga).

if anyone is ever near the city you're more than welcome to come hear my cbm-170SEs & vtf-3mk2. :)

shane55
07-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Hey Shane mind if I ask how you ended up in California? Were you going to school at Murray State when you lived in Murray? Just am curious as I used to go to school there but did not graduate from there. Thanks for your reply.
Yup... Masters degree from there. Good times in good-ol' Murray.
Long 'OT' story about my ending up in CA, but the short of it is that I moved out here to work for my father.

As an aside (to add to this already OT post), I was probably there before you were born... :eek:

shane

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 10:47 AM
At the risk of sounding like your mom...then stop spending money! If your card is maxed, then buying speakers is the last thing you need to be doing. Take some time to get yourself into a better financial place, then get something.
Trust me I am working on it. Thought I had my Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's sold but the guy backed out in the last minute. I love my 20's but the matching center is just too darn big and heavy as well as being expensive. To make matters worse, the ADP-470's are very expensive so I have decided to go a different route. I got to hear the Axioms and the Rockets. I was impressed by both But the Rockets are out of my price range and "bigfoot" is even bigger than the Paradigm cc-470. :D :D And to be honest I seem to prefer a more detailed tweeter even when it is a bit forward and bright-but not overly done as sounding harsh. This is why I am seriously thinking about the Axioms. I am sure Ascend speakers are very good but been told several times they are a bit "laid-back" and not quite as agressive as the Axioms per se. Dont take me wrong, I do NOT like an overly bright speaker such as Klipsch but do prefer a crisp detailed sound. I have a nice powered sub (Mirage S12) and I am thinking the Axiom M22Ti's would be ideal and the matching VP150 center. When I sell my Studio 20's I will then buy me a set of the QS8's for rears because I prefer a diffused sound and I do NOT listen to multi-channel music. But thank you for your help.

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Yup... Masters degree from there. Good times in good-ol' Murray.
Long 'OT' story about my ending up in CA, but the short of it is that I moved out here to work for my father.

As an aside (to add to this already OT post), I was probably there before you were born... :eek:

shane
Kool Shane I went ot Murray as an undergrad but graduated from the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville, Indiana. Have started my Masters but doubt I will ever finish. Heck I am 39 and have drifted into other things. Kinda looks like I may be getting back to managing a car audio shop. Anyways, thanks for the info. Have a great day. :) :)

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 10:52 AM
i'm still in choo choo land (chattanooga).

if anyone is ever near the city you're more than welcome to come hear my cbm-170SEs & vtf-3mk2. :)
Knew I spelled Chattanooga wrong..........LOL!!!! ;)

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 10:54 AM
If your credit card is maxxed.....you couldn't buy speakers now anyways. :D

Save your cash...get some headroom on the card...and get some comparisons going.
Actually I have paypal buyer credit and I can go through Axiom's ebay store to get my speakers.

curtis
07-31-2006, 10:55 AM
I am sure Ascend speakers are very good but been told several times they are a bit "laid-back" and not quite as agressive as the Axioms per se.
It is my guess that whoever told you Ascends are laidback, are used to a more aggressive speaker.

The tweeter in the M22 is definitely more aggressive than the 170SE. The 170SE is definitely, especially now, more refined.

curtis
07-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Actually I have paypal buyer credit and I can go through Axiom's ebay store to get my speakers.
I did not know Axiom sold through eBay. Do you get the same 30 day trial period if you purchase that way?

shane55
07-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Kool Shane I went ot Murray as an undergrad but graduated from the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville, Indiana. Have started my Masters but doubt I will ever finish. Heck I am 39 and have drifted into other things. Kinda looks like I may be getting back to managing a car audio shop. Anyways, thanks for the info. Have a great day. :) :)
Car audio, eh?
Too bad Ascend doesn't make car speakers.:D

(Did my UG work at U of I... Urbana)

shane

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
I did not know Axiom sold through eBay. Do you get the same 30 day trial period if you purchase that way?
Yes that is how financing is arranged. Why I applied for the paypal buyer credit-otherwise I would have no use for it. :) :)

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Car audio, eh?
Too bad Ascend doesn't make car speakers.:D

(Did my UG work at U of I... Urbana)

shane
Yeah and I have a degree in Sociology---imagine that. At times, it comes in handy though when dealing with the public.....LOL!!!! :) :)

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 12:00 PM
It is my guess that whoever told you Ascends are laidback, are used to a more aggressive speaker.

The tweeter in the M22 is definitely more aggressive than the 170SE. The 170SE is definitely, especially now, more refined.
There is no doubt in my mind that the Ascends are awesome speakers especially after auditioning Axiom and Rocket speakers. That is, internet direct will most certainly give you more bang for the buck. As far as "laid-back" sounding goes I mean just a "tad". I prefer to get the Axiom M60's but because of my budget I will more than likely end up with the M22Ti's. I have been very impressed with my Mirage Omni S12 12" sub and it should blend very well with the M22's. Not sure if I would really be missing much if any at all. Sure, the M60's are going to be more impactful and dynamic at higher volumes BUT I dont listen to anything that loud anyways. Therefore, the M22's should be ideal for my application.

Quinn
07-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Having heard both the M22 and the M60, I'd take the M22 and a good sub over the M60. The M60 has some muddiness in the mids and upper bass to me.

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Having heard both the M22 and the M60, I'd take the M22 and a good sub over the M60. The M60 has some muddiness in the mids and upper bass to me.
So do you think my Mirage S12 would be a good fit for the M22Ti's?

Quinn
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't have experience with the Mirage S12 to be able to tell you.

soundfreak38
07-31-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't have experience with the Mirage S12 to be able to tell you.
No problem-just thought I would ask. Thanks for your reply. Have a great avening. Sure is a hot one here in Western Kentucky............. :eek: :eek:

jermy4
08-04-2006, 01:48 PM
No problem-just thought I would ask. Thanks for your reply. Have a great avening. Sure is a hot one here in Western Kentucky............. :eek: :eek:
I'm in the 618 area code but I doubt you'll want to drive this far. My zip code is 62243.

I have a 2 channel setup with 170 classes, a HK 3480 receiver, pioneer 563 player, and a custom 12" sealed sub. You are more than welcome to come over and audition my setup if you want.

soundfreak38
08-04-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm in the 618 area code but I doubt you'll want to drive this far. My zip code is 62243.

I have a 2 channel setup with 170 classes, a HK 3480 receiver, pioneer 563 player, and a custom 12" sealed sub. You are more than welcome to come over and audition my setup if you want.
Thanks for the offer but you are a good ways from me. But I do appreciate you ofering to help. Have a good one my friend. :) :)