PDA

View Full Version : I need some wiring help for 5.1 System...

masse1369
06-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Equipment
Hitachi Ultravision 51" - 1 DVI and few component inputs
Outlaw Audio Model 1070 A/V Receiver
Oppo OPDV971H DVD Player
CMT-340 SE (LCR)
CBM-170 SE (Rears)
SVS PB12-Plus/2
Comcast HD Cable Box

What would be the best way to hook all of this stuff up and what types and lengths of wires would I need. My TV is a couple of years old, and I dont plan on upgrading it for at least another year or so. I am gettting ready to purchase the speakers, sub, receiver and dvd player and I just wanted to know the best way to go around wiring everything. A link would also be helpful, for some sort of wiring diagrams. Thanks in advance for the help...

mark
06-18-2006, 10:39 AM
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Jorge_Burrito
06-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Hook up your DVD player and comcast box using component video cable to the receiver and then a companonet cable from the receiver to the TV (or you may go directly from the components to the TV, skipping the receiver). For the audio use either a optical or digital coaxial cable and connect to receiver.

The sub will need a subwoofer cable. The speakers should have 12-14 gauge speaker wire.

Blue Jeans is a great source of cables. In general if you go into a store to buy cables I would not go with the super super cheap cables, but no reason to go for the more expensive cables either. I like the RadioShaq gold series. Avoid monster. As long as your not doing huge huge runs like 50 feet pluts, length does not matter.

Jonnyozero3
06-20-2006, 02:09 PM
EDIT!!!

Whoa, nevermind....your 1070 has dvi. Run two DVI cables to your outlaw receiver instead of component, and then one DVI cable from the Outlaw to your TV. THen you'll be golden.

I also second the use of Bluejeans cables for your cable needs (I have plenty and they work great) :)

Jorge_Burrito
06-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Oops..missed the whole DVI thing...that should give you better picture then component...I would reccommend what Jonny suggests as well.

Jonnyozero3
06-20-2006, 08:53 PM
let us know if you need even more detailed info. such setups can be imposing to a first-timer ;)

masse1369
06-21-2006, 04:19 AM
do i still need the audio cables? or does dvi support the audio as well?

sls7u
06-21-2006, 06:29 AM
DVI does not support audio, so you still need an optical or coax running from you r DVD player and cable box to your receiver

masse1369
06-21-2006, 08:48 AM
thank you for all of the help, i think i am going to get an h/k 635 instead of the outlaw and i will just connect the oppo directly into my tv and use component cables for the rest...