PDA

View Full Version : ascend fronts, inwall/inceiling surrounds?

patnshan
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Hello,

I am just about ready to start my basement HT/rec room project and am still trying to decide on speakers. My HT area will be about 14 ft wide x 19 ft long x 8 feet high.

So now for the problem, I will have no back wall. My wife wants to keep the viewing area open to the bar area, and although not "audiophile acceptable" I do see her point for parties and such. This will require small, or even in wall or in ceiling surrounds. I guess I could wall mount some 200's on the sides, but wouldn't want to do that in the middle of the room for the rears. I was thinking of using orbs for the side and rears or some in ceiling / in walls from HTD or the like. I would be using a 340 center with 170's or 340's as mains.

Would the ascends up front and orbs or in-walls work OK together? I don't do much in the way of multi channel music, I like 2.1 better for that anyway.

Thanks for any input,

Pat

curtis
06-16-2006, 10:56 AM
The Orbs' bass fall off around 200hz....not many receivers have that kind of crossover available, much less the ability to cross the fronts at 80/60hz, and the surrounds at 200hz.

Would mounting HTM-200's to the side walls, and hanging from the ceiling for rear surrounds pass your particular WAF test? They are not very big.

patnshan
06-16-2006, 11:00 AM
The Orbs' bass fall off around 200hz....not many receivers have that kind of crossover available, much less the ability to cross the fronts at 80/60hz, and the surrounds at 200hz.

Would mounting HTM-200's to the side walls, and hanging from the ceiling for rear surrounds pass your particular WAF test? They are not very big.

Yeah, that crossover problem is a big concern of mine if I were to get the orbs. I'd have to cross the orbs too low or the ascends too high. I do have to get a new receiver for the system, and could get one with that feature I guess (HK, denon?). I currently use a marantz SR-8400 upstairs and love it.

I could do the 200's on the sides for sure, but I am not sure she'd be keen on boxes hanging down from the ceiling. I realize the sides and rears should match, that's the reason I was considering in-walls and in-ceilings as another option. I am aware of their inherent weaknesses, but also know that the front three handle most of the sound anyway.

Thanks,

Pat

Mag_Neato
06-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Sounds similar to my cousin's basement setup, although I think his ceiling is higher than 8'. He has a 6.1 setup, with the side surrounds mounted from the ceiling by speaker mount brackets and the center-rear using the same type of bracket to suspend it from the the ceiling in the midpoint of the room(he's got an exercise area behind the theater section with a full-mirrored back wall). His 42" LG Plasma is mounted on the front wall.

I have not listened to it, but he's happy with it.

curtis
06-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah, that crossover problem is a big concern of mine if I were to get the orbs. I'd have to cross the orbs too low or the ascends too high. I do have to get a new receiver for the system, and could get one with that feature I guess (HK, denon?). I currently use a marantz SR-8400 upstairs and love it.

I could do the 200's on the sides for sure, but I am not sure she'd be keen on boxes hanging down from the ceiling. I realize the sides and rears should match, that's the reason I was considering in-walls and in-ceilings as another option. I am aware of their inherent weaknesses, but also know that the front three handle most of the sound anyway.

Thanks,

Pat
You could also just stick to 5.1....nothing wrong with that.

patnshan
06-16-2006, 11:37 AM
You could also just stick to 5.1....nothing wrong with that.

I have 5.1 now, and do not feel I am missing anything frankly. I just wanted to do it because I can :) Well, maybe I can't ;) I could just zone 2 a pair of speakers in the bar area I guess????

I will wire for it regardless, and can always stick some IC's in there in the future if I want to try it. It may sound OK to my less than perfect ears.

Thanks,

Pat

Eddie
06-17-2006, 02:31 PM
The Orbs' bass fall off around 200hz....

Where'd you get that 200Hz number, Curtis? OA's website claims 80Hz, just 10Hz higher than the classic 170s.

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=25

Quinn
06-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Where'd you get that 200Hz number, Curtis? OA's website claims 80Hz, just 10Hz higher than the classic 170s.

Certainly wouldn't be the first speaker that didn't meet advertised specs. People buy Orbs for style and small form. A 3" driver with no tweeter is one tough turd to polish.

I love this from their ad copy- "Orb speakers are every bit as good or better than competing systems that sell for more than double our prices." Translation- we are crappy just like ****.

Does **** spelled any other way sound just as bad? YES! Orb!

Eddie
06-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Certainly wouldn't be the first speaker that didn't meet advertised specs. People buy Orbs for style and small form. A 3" driver with no tweeter is one tough turd to polish.

True. Just wondering if Curtis actually heard them himself or read of a review/test by someone who did.

It took some work navigating the OA website to find those specs, btw. I hope OA just has a poor website designer, rather than hiding specs which would be one step from ****'s policy of offering zero specs.

I have to say, love the Ascend site's straightforward, no-nonsense layout and drop-down menu structure.

curtis
06-17-2006, 03:07 PM

People are posting the need for a high crossover...150hz-200hz, and that Orb even says you need a sub that can play that high. That info coupled with what the specs say does not add up.

I'll be borrowing a pair to check out as well. Got to find out for myself what these things are like. First, I want to spend time with my SE's.

Quinn
06-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey this board censors the obscene B*** word! I love it!

Eddie
06-17-2006, 03:28 PM
People are posting the need for a high crossover...150hz-200hz, and that Orb even says you need a sub that can play that high. That info coupled with what the specs say does not add up.

I'll be borrowing a pair to check out as well. Got to find out for myself what these things are like. First, I want to spend time with my SE's.

Where does Orb say you need a sub to play that high? Do you have any links to people posting the need for a high crossover?

Sorry, I'm not challenging your veracity, just would like to read it myself.

Also on the Ecoustics forum the Orbs are spoken very highly of by a number of people who seem never to post about any other gear, which sends my BS-antennae way, way up. (To be fair though, SOME of the Orb praisers there do own much better gear as well.)

curtis
06-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Where does Orb say you need a sub to play that high? Do you have any links to people posting the need for a high crossover?

Sorry, I'm not challenging your veracity, just would like to read it myself.

Also on the Ecoustics forum the Orbs are spoken very highly of by a number of people who seem never to post about any other gear, which sends my BS-antennae way, way up. (To be fair though, SOME of the Orb praisers there do own much better gear as well.)
There was a couple of posts on AVS where potential customers asked about subs to go with the Orbs. There are also posts about people asking what kind of receivers for the Orbs with folks suggesting the higher crossovers. When I come across them again, I will send them your way.

Yes...there have been a couple of posts by those I have a lot of respect for that like the Orbs....that is why I want to hear them for myself. I will try and get listen to them today if I can.

Here's one thread I found just now:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=688612

Eddie
06-17-2006, 03:39 PM
There was a couple of posts on AVS where potential customers asked about subs to go with the Orbs. There are also posts about people asking what kind of receivers for the Orbs with folks suggesting the higher crossovers. When I come across them again, I will send them your way.

Yes...there have been a couple of posts by those I have a lot of respect for that like the Orbs....that is why I want to hear them for myself. I will try and get listen to them today if I can.

Here's one thread I found just now:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=688612

Thanks Curtis, I've just posted to that thread, will see what comes of it...

curtis
06-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I should also add, it is 3" driver in maybe a 3.5" diameter sealed sphere....how much internal volume is that? I think the laws of physics are working against it to get down to 80hz.

curtis
06-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks Curtis, I've just posted to that thread, will see what comes of it...
I am heading out.....when I get back, I'll have the Orbs, and hopefully a new surfboard!

curtis
06-17-2006, 06:09 PM
OK...no surfboard, I pick it up tomorrow.

But I have the Orbs. Unfortunately, I won't be able to hook them up. The thickest gauge wire they can take is 14 if you are lucky!! I use Canare 4S11 speaker cable, and the 4 individual wires are 13 gauge!

sls7u
06-17-2006, 08:10 PM
you mentioned putting 2 "zone 2" speakers by the bar...what about putting the rear surrounds by the bar, as long as your receiver can compensate for the distance?

Lou-the-dog
06-17-2006, 08:29 PM

Eddie, does the Orb website specify db down at 80hz?

Randy

Eddie
06-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Eddie, does the Orb website specify db down at 80hz?

Randy

Not that I was able to find.

The more I browse that site the more gimmicky and underhanded it seems.

curtis
06-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Not that I was able to find.

The more I browse that site the more gimmicky and underhanded it seems.
When I am able to hook up the pair I have, I will play some tones and and do some crude testing with my SPL meter.

patnshan
06-18-2006, 11:28 AM
you mentioned putting 2 "zone 2" speakers by the bar...what about putting the rear surrounds by the bar, as long as your receiver can compensate for the distance?

I think it could, but wouldn't 25 feet back from the seating area be a bit much?

Pat

patnshan
10-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Curtis,
What did you think of those orb's? I am still torn with the surrounds. I may just go with 5.1. I was thinking about the SVS PCi 25-31 as the sub. What do you guys think of that? I thought it would fill my huge room better than the equally priced Hsu offering. Any thoughts? Also, does anybody use different (brand I mean, heaven forbid:D) surrounds with 340's across the front?
Pat

curtis
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
The Orbs I had started losing "oomph" around 140-150hz....so they need to be crossovered pretty high, and a bit rolled off up top.

In your size room, the SVS or Hsu will fill the room with no issues.