PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer for music with 340??

Sam1000
05-31-2006, 03:30 PM
I had been listening to 340 for last 2 weeks without the subwoofer and making experiments with placement etc. Last week I got my Mirage s12. Since then, I had been contemplating to switch the subwoofer off while I listen to 2 channel music. Sometimea, I can hear the rimshots and the rest of the drums playing in the right corner, however, I can localize the kickdrum on the far left side.(that's where my s12 is located.) I also read a similar thread on avs about this, but I was wondering what other asend owners think and do with subwoofer while listening to 2 Ch. music?
My receiver has a fixed high Xover if the speakers are set to small(120Htz), If they are set to large, then the Xover is 80 Htz. (I gathered this info from various forums, it's not documented in the manual of Sony STR-DE835).
Will I be reliquishing a lot of details if i set 340s to large? on the other hand, I'll be localizing the FR < 120..
I'm still waiting for the Avia disk so that I can calibrate the system. Will this issue(localizing the low FR) go away after calibration or do I need to get a new receiver where I can set the Xover at 60??

Lou-the-dog
05-31-2006, 04:15 PM
If you are going to use a sub my goal would be to be able to set a crossover at 60 or 80hz with the reciever set to small. I think I might run the 340SE's set to large sans sub before I would run both set to large. The 120hz crossover setting is what is allowing you to localize the sub.

Randy

jermy4
05-31-2006, 06:31 PM
What you need to do is set it up with the 80Hz crossover and make sure the phase is set correctly as well as the delay settings. Once you get those all perfect as well as good placement of the sub it will be much harder to localize the sub.

It took my awhile with my setup but after I got the sub blended by doing all of the above it really sounds like the ascends are full range it blends so nice.

shane55
05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
I found that for 2-ch music my 340 Classic's and SVS PB10-ISD were beautifully paired at 60hz.

For multi-ch with my 170 surrounds, I'd raise it to 80hz.

Now that I have 340's all around (SE's-LCR, Classics-rear) I may lower it to 60hz for everything. I don't know as I haven't had the time to test things out adequately. I also assume (since I haven't tried it), that the SE's will sound even better than the classics at 60hz.

Good luck!

shane

Edit... I just wanted to add that I never run my 340's as 'Large'. Always 'Small', and always with the sub.

Eddie Horton
06-01-2006, 05:20 AM
I use an HSU VTF-3MkII with my 340 classics for 2 channel. For me, once the crossover and phase were dialed in, and after smoothing the frequency response with the BFD and accurately matching levels, the sub and the mains blend perfectly. It's a time consuming process to get right, and takes a good bit of experimentation with placement, etc., but once you get it right the sub disappears. Even a change in placement of only a few inches can make a big difference.

cyberbri
06-01-2006, 10:10 AM
If your receiver is fixed at 120Hz for "Small", I suggest getting a new receiver with adjustable xo points.

Until then, though, run the mains as large with the sub on as well ("Both" or "L/R + LFE" or whatever the setting is on your receiver), for music at least.

Here is a post where I talk about how I experiment and measure in order to find the best spot for the sub:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=16604#post16604

Personally I listen to 2-channel music either:
Mains = Large
Mains = Large + Sub
Mains = Small + Sub

My mains and surrounds are crossed over at 80Hz, and center at 100Hz. I came up with these numbers by running sweeps and measuring response through the crossover range to find the setting that gives the best/flattest response. Actually my center performed better with a xo of 120Hz, but I found that male voices were bleeding into the sub, so I lowered it to 100Hz. With my room and the placement of the speakers, trying to push the 340SEs to 60Hz would mean the 60-80Hz bass is a lot weaker compared to what my VTF-3 Mk2 can do.

shane55
06-01-2006, 12:33 PM
My mains and surrounds are crossed over at 80Hz, and center at 100Hz. I came up with these numbers by running sweeps and measuring response through the crossover range to find the setting that gives the best/flattest response. Actually my center performed better with a xo of 120Hz, but I found that male voices were bleeding into the sub, so I lowered it to 100Hz. With my room and the placement of the speakers, trying to push the 340SEs to 60Hz would mean the 60-80Hz bass is a lot weaker compared to what my VTF-3 Mk2 can do.
Well, if that isn't the coolest thing! Separate xover control for each speaker! What are you powering these with?

shane

cyberbri
06-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Well, if that isn't the coolest thing! Separate xover control for each speaker! What are you powering these with?

shane

A lot of receivers now have this.
It's one of the smaller things you have to look into when you research receivers before upgrading. You don't have to worry about power ratings (as long as the power isn't rated at like 20% distortion, or even 10% or 1% - good, clean power is rated at .1% or below distortion). It's the small features like independent crossover points that you have to look for.

I used to own an HK AVR125, and it had a fixed 100Hz crossover. I upgraded to an HK AVR330. Very nice receiver, with lots of clean power (55wx7 - tested very very close to the Panasonic 70(?) which is 100wx6).

shane55
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks cyberbri.

I have a good (Denon 3805) receiver currently, so no real need to upgrade. But when I do.... :D

shane