PDA

View Full Version : Current "Classics" owners: Are you planning on upgrading?

BGHD
05-12-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a full 'Classic' setup and still can't decide if I should/need to upgrade. I'm not in anyway unhappy with what I have, just curious of what the SE might add. With all the orders going out, I imagine all those on the upgrade list will start getting emails soon. Please help me decide.

I'm about 60% TV/movies, 40% music (now mostly hi-res). Currently 340LCR, 170L/R, 200 rears, VTF3.

chas
05-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I have 340 classic mains and center and 170 surrounds. I will probably eventually upgrade the 340's to SE's ... but I guess there is no hurry - I have a feeling the SE's will be in production for a long while. Like you I'm certainly not unhappy with the classics and the upgrade will be more from curiosity than need.

Eddie Horton
05-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Same here. I've got other things in the pipeline that will come before a speaker upgrade.

curtis
05-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I have a full classic setup as well...340's up front, 170's as surrounds. I really like the SE's, and will be upgrading when my budget allows, but I am in no hurry.

I have had my Ascend setup for over three years now......very satisfied.

bikeman
05-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Same here. I've got other things in the pipeline that will come before a speaker upgrade.
Same here. Traveling, the bikes and the garden are sucking all my disposable income (and then some) right now. Maybe in the Fall. I'll also probably try to sell my Classics instead of trading them in. They're too good to just ship off to the recycle heap.

David

BillS
05-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Like everyone else here, I also have the "Classic" setup of CMT340 (L/C/R) and CBM170 (L/R). I am currently in the queue for Dave's CMT Upgrade Program. I'll send the CBMs back for refurb to SE config. after I recieve the CMTs. Curtis, what impressed you about the SEs versus the Classics? I'm upgrading on "Faith" that there will be some form of sound improvement (please note that I'm also very content with my current setup but am compelled to upgrade to Dave's latest and greatest). Should have the new CMT's within the next couple of weeks per e-mail from Dave.

BradJudy
05-13-2006, 06:57 AM
It looks like I'm one of the few to have completed an SE upgrade so far (CBM-170s). My vote is that if you listen to a good amount of music, definitely consider the upgrade or sell/buy (in other threads it has been discussed that selling classics and buying new SE's might be cheaper). As everyone said, it's about your available money and priorities.

As for what the SE adds, I would give the somewhat cheesy comment that they are continued progress on what made the classics special - neutrality and clarity.

curtis
05-13-2006, 09:47 AM
I like Brad's cheesy comment. I think the added cleanliness and sweetnest, especially in the highs, also adds some transparency. The added bass extension is nice as well, but negated with a good subwoofer.

BGHD
05-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess if my pocketbook allows, I'll give the SE-upgrade a strong consideration. But, man, with the money it'd take to upgrade my entire 5-spk set, I could get a ton of music, movies or even a the new HDDVD player (tho' I wouldn't get it since I'm waiting for the BR/HD wars to settle first). Time to prioritize my upcoming "fun money" purchases I guess.

shane55
05-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Well...
I currently have 340 classics across the front and 170 classics for surround.

I'm selling the 170's and 340c, moving the 340 classics to the rear and replacing the front LCR's with new 340SE's.

I thought this was a good way to upgrade.:D

cheers

shane

sensibull
05-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Ever since the SEs were announced I considered an upgrade to be a given, just a matter of time, but recently I've managed to quiet that nagging voice of the obsessive tweaker and ease onto a nice plateau of satisfaction where the weather is nice, the view is fine, and I don't feel the urge to go any higher any time soon. Figure I better enjoy it while it lasts ;)

Lee Bailey
05-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm planning on upgrading, it's just not in the budget for this year. I also am very happy with my current setup.

dae3dae3
05-14-2006, 12:22 PM
I was on the upgrade list but took my name off.

I got distracted by building my own subwoofers to replace my SVS. Sub one is complete and the second one will be started this week. :D The first sub is better than my SVS 25-31 PC+ and when the second one is finished the bass should be downright ridiculous. :cool:

Lee Bailey
05-15-2006, 09:03 AM
I was on the upgrade list but took my name off.

I got distracted by building my own subwoofers to replace my SVS. Sub one is complete and the second one will be started this week. :D The first sub is better than my SVS 25-31 PC+ and when the second one is finished the bass should be downright ridiculous. :cool:

When you say it is better, is this through measurements, or your ears?

Mag_Neato
05-15-2006, 09:49 AM
I was all set to do the SE thing with my 170's when out of the blue, my receiver started glitching on me. I spent the SE upgrade money, and then some, on a new Denon receiver. Oh well......the classics still sound great so maybe next year.

curtis
05-15-2006, 10:30 AM
I "exercised" the classics with Donald Fagen's "Morph the Cat" DVD-A yesterday. Sat in the sweet spot for 10-15 minutes and it was great. Only towards the end did I wonder "How would the SE's sound?"

Still...I was very pleased.

Gov
05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I "exercised" the classics with Donald Fagen's "Morph the Cat" DVD-A yesterday. Sat in the sweet spot for 10-15 minutes and it was great. Only towards the end did I wonder "How would the SE's sound?"

Still...I was very pleased.

Off the topic, but isn't that DVD-A just flat out awesome!!!

curtis
05-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Off the topic, but isn't that DVD-A just flat out awesome!!!
It is definitely growing on me. I had told people that I preferred Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go" DVD-A to "Morph"....but now I am not so sure.

dae3dae3
05-15-2006, 11:29 AM
When you say it is better, is this through measurements, or your ears?

My sub plays lower, louder, is better able to play cleanly on very quick bass passages, and has a better tone to my ears. Other than that the SVS is just as good. ;) My sub is a 15" sealed sonotube sub in a 4.5 Cubic foot enclosure.

Some of these differences are subtle and others are not. The lower and louder are pretty obvious just by the seat of the pants. The quicker is something that I hear and my wife gives me a dumb look. The better tone is obviously just my opinion. I will say that I was a music major at college and have spent thousands of hours sitting in the middle of various bands so I have a pretty strong opinion of what I believe is accurate sound.

I haven't run any ground plane measurements or anything like that and really have no intention to since I don't plan to start selling these things for a living but I can tell you that I am not disappointed. Both subs are EQ'd flat using a Velodyne SMS-1. The SMS-1 also gave me some visual confirmation that my sub was extending deeper.

pegleg
05-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I upgraded my basement 170s to the SEs last week, and notice (1) greater clarity, (b) greater bass, and especially (c) much greater dispersion in our oddly-shaped basement. I'm almost around a corner from the speakers and didn't really enjoy them as much before. Now it's like being in front of them.

Pegleg

BGHD
05-15-2006, 10:29 PM
All good ideas. I'm still struggling with the idea of turning my $650 pair of classic 340s into an almost $900-1000 pair of SEs, and $350 pair of classic 170s into a $500 pair of SEs. I'm starting to like Sensibull's way of thinking more and more. Maybe I'll just wait until the upgrade itch really gets bad (maybe after hearing a set of SEs?) before I scratch it. Keep those things away from me then. :D

Quinn
05-16-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading the 170s, which I'm using for 2 channel right now, but leaving the 340 in the HT alone. I'm kind of with you guys in that it seems a shame to send the 340 to the scrap heap. I think with shipping and upgrade costs selling them used and ordering 340SEs may workout better.

BGHD
07-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Bit the bullet & upgraded (340LCR & 170 SR/SL). Slightly fuller overall sound. Not necessarily night/day improvement, but worth the upgrade cost to me. In blind test, most would be satisfied w/ the sound of the classics IMO though. Ascend's just make a great product better.

curtis
07-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Bit the bullet & upgraded (340LCR & 170 SR/SL). Slightly fuller overall sound. Not necessarily night/day improvement, but worth the upgrade cost to me. In blind test, most would be satisfied w/ the sound of the classics IMO though. Ascend's just make a great product better.
Agreed, I also think the detail is better from top to bottom, no signs of stress when really cranked up. I also think they are more transparent.

I have been playing my 340SE's the last 5 days or so without a sub, mainly because I have been playing with a new amp, but I am also going to be listening to some NHT Classic 3's today, and I want to listen to all my "testing" material.

boludaso
07-03-2006, 08:39 AM
great thread. has it been discussed yet on any thread about what is happening to the old drivers? i'd love to get some just for dink'in around in the garage.
some of you can keep me in mind when you decide to sell your classics. i want some for my garage.

BradJudy
07-03-2006, 08:43 AM
I would guess that the removed drivers are kept around for replacing damaged drivers in other classics, but that's just a guess.

BGHD
07-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Am watching Saving Private Ryan DDay scene as I type. Could never put my finger on it, but whatever was missing before isn't anymore. Not that I know what "real" sounds like, but ricocheting bullets, the sound of clinking buckles, etc, just sound even more realistic. I'm beginning to like the SEs more and more.

ChrisC
07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Agreed, I also think the detail is better from top to bottom, no signs of stress when really cranked up. I also think they are more transparent.

I have been playing my 340SE's the last 5 days or so without a sub, mainly because I have been playing with a new amp, but I am also going to be listening to some NHT Classic 3's today, and I want to listen to all my "testing" material.

Hey Curtis,
Did you get to hear the NHT Classic 3's?

curtis
07-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Yup:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=17351#post17351