PDA

View Full Version : LFE Crossover Problem?

steelgtr
04-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi Guys,

I've got my ref 20/ ref 4430 with my new Ascend 170 SE's installed, and finally got a decent sub. I have all the speakers set to small. When running a test CD, I'm getting sound out of the fronts all the way down to 50 hz. The ref 20 has no lfe cutoff freq; only sub off, on, or ultra. I've tried all the settings and still get 40-50 hz signal out of the fronts. B&K said the crossover is fixed at 80hz but obviously it isn't.

Any ideas on what's going on?

thx

bob

bikeman
04-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi Guys,

I've got my ref 20/ ref 4430 with my new Ascend 170 SE's installed, and finally got a decent sub. I have all the speakers set to small. When running a test CD, I'm getting sound out of the fronts all the way down to 50 hz. The ref 20 has no lfe cutoff freq; only sub off, on, or ultra. I've tried all the settings and still get 40-50 hz signal out of the fronts. B&K said the crossover is fixed at 80hz but obviously it isn't. Any ideas on what's going on?
The crossover is not a brickwall. How are you measuring and what are the numbers?

David

steelgtr
04-09-2006, 01:09 PM
The crossover is not a brickwall. How are you measuring and what are the numbers?

David

I'm playing test tones as low as the 170's can play, changing speaker setting from small to large, sub on/off/ultra and I can't hear any difference in the 170's at any freq. I know about the slope function but there is no difference all the way down! I have a meter but haven't used it because there is not even the slightest audible drop no matter what I try.

thx

bob