PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Help, Please ?

steelgtr
04-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys,

3 170 SE's arrive Monday. I held off on the sub until I could evaluate the 170's.

My room is 15x18 opens to a narrow hallway and to a standard door opening into the kitchen.

I want a sub that literally extends the low end of the speakers and doesn't draw attention to itself. Even in 5.1 movies, I don't want the walls or floor rattling, just a tight, punchy, fast bottom end.

I had actually considered the HSU 8 inch but David advised against it.

So, it's down the the STF-1 or the VTF-2 or an Onix ULW-10 I found used for $375.

Whatcha think?

bob

twalker294
04-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Have you considered the SVS 25-31 PCi? It's $549 and they are supposed to be fantastic. The SVS 20-39 PC Plus is going to be the next addition to my HT, replacing my 10 inch Klipsch sub. SVS can't be beat for the price/performance ratio.

Link: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcpow3.cfm

Todd

steelgtr
04-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Have you considered the SVS 25-31 PCi? It's $549 and they are supposed to be fantastic. The SVS 20-39 PC Plus is going to be the next addition to my HT, replacing my 10 inch Klipsch sub. SVS can't be beat for the price/performance ratio.

Link: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcpow3.cfm

Todd

I really don't know much abot the SVS except everyone that has them likes them. I guess I figured that David picked the HSU's because they complemented the Ascends but maybe any good sub will do. I just don't want rumbly, wall rattling bass.

bob

chasw98
04-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I really don't know much abot the SVS except everyone that has them likes them. I guess I figured that David picked the HSU's because they complemented the Ascends but maybe any good sub will do. I just don't want rumbly, wall rattling bass.

bob

I had a HSu, an SVS, and my DIY sub set up in my house at the same time. After my DIY sub, I thought the HSU sounded very good with my Ascend 340SE's. The SVS was no slouch either.

BradJudy
04-01-2006, 08:23 PM
I had actually considered the HSU 8 inch but David advised against it.

So, it's down the the STF-1 or the VTF-2 or an Onix ULW-10 I found used for $375.

I'm confused, the STF-1 is the 8" Hsu.

Rumbling the walls is more about the volume you're playing at and the frequencies of the music/movies, not the sub. If you really just want to not reproduce low frequencies, buy an in-line high-pass filter for the sub to keep the low frequencies from going to the sub.

I think either of those choices would be good ones. I've been happy using a VTF-2 with my Ascends since I bought them and the Onix UWF/ULW-10s are also very nice subs (I've heard them, but not in my system).

steelgtr
04-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm confused, the STF-1 is the 8" Hsu.

Rumbling the walls is more about the volume you're playing at and the frequencies of the music/movies, not the sub. If you really just want to not reproduce low frequencies, buy an in-line high-pass filter for the sub to keep the low frequencies from going to the sub.

I think either of those choices would be good ones. I've been happy using a VTF-2 with my Ascends since I bought them and the Onix UWF/ULW-10s are also very nice subs (I've heard them, but not in my system).

Sorry, meant STF-2 :)

bob

gooch
04-02-2006, 08:49 AM
I have SVS and love them. I started with a 20-39PCi and was amazed by it. I now have 2 PCUs and SCARY bass comes to mind. They rattle the walls all right but boomy is not a word in the equation. Low, clean and tight are all words that come to mind. When its REALLY loud, I can feel it in my fillings! I was on the fence between SVS and Hsu. I ended up with SVS but because I needed "tubes", and because I couldn't find any of the Hsu cylinders at that time. I don't think you would go wrong either way, both are qualiy products and do their job very well. :D