PDA

View Full Version : Begin my SE upgrade!

rifmon
02-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Well, I just packed up my 3 170's in their original boxes and all packings. Glad I kept them all this time! ;)

I will MISS them. I put my Dahlquist QX6's in their place; Very good speakers but NOT as good as the Ascends in their classic incarnation. This was proven- out by many blind listening tests among family and friends. (great bass though)

Anyway, I just got done listening to some Diana Krall and the "Best of Sade" CD. I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful girlfriend who appreciates great sound!
For music, I have the HSU VTF MK-2 and Rotel 1062 integrated along with the Rotel 1072 CD player. I don't think these speakers can sound any better! Or can they......?

I just hope it won't take too long to find out.

wadewood
03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
I have been looking through messages on the upgrade process and cost for the 170s. Was this posted?

bikeman
03-15-2006, 03:22 AM
Was this posted?
No.

David

Mag_Neato
03-15-2006, 06:06 AM
If you email Ascend they will give you the details. I'm waiting to gather up the remaining funds so I can send my 170's in. I don't know if Dave minds me posting the details, so Dave....feel free to remove this info if you need to!

-The 170SE upgrade is $80/speaker = $160/Pr.+$20 return shipping = $180

This includes new tweeters, woofers & crossovers, cleaning & testing and new packaging. Dave said the fee does not really cover their costs :cool:

BradJudy
03-15-2006, 11:40 AM
I'll be sending in my 170 mains as soon as I finish a couple things up (hopefully in a week or two). I know it's silly, but in addition to improved sound, I'm looking forward to the cooler looking phase plug on the woofers (I never have my grilles on). :D Sometime later, I'll work on doing my 340 center - perhaps I'll have Ascend send out an unfinished 340SE cabinet and make a center to match my mains (I should have enough veneer left).

bikeman
03-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Sometime later, I'll work on doing my 340 center - perhaps I'll have Ascend send out an unfinished 340SE cabinet and make a center to match my mains (I should have enough veneer left).
Almost be a shame to lay that on it's side. I'd love to see some 340M's with that kind of work. Mmmmm.....maybe I should.....:confused: ;)

David

Mag_Neato
03-15-2006, 12:14 PM
I'll be sending in my 170 mains as soon as I finish a couple things up (hopefully in a week or two). I know it's silly, but in addition to improved sound, I'm looking forward to the cooler looking phase plug on the woofers (I never have my grilles on). :D Sometime later, I'll work on doing my 340 center - perhaps I'll have Ascend send out an unfinished 340SE cabinet and make a center to match my mains (I should have enough veneer left).

LOL! I thought the same thing about the phase plug, but I leave my grills on all the time(kids!). I did take them off last week to peek at'em again with the plastic plugs before I ship them off for surgery :D

BradJudy
03-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Almost be a shame to lay that on it's side. I'd love to see some 340M's with that kind of work. Mmmmm.....maybe I should.....:confused: ;)

Because the 340 has such tight radii on the front panel, you can't really put veneer on the front. I'm thinking of doing gloss black on the front and back, and veneer on the sides (remember, my speaker is on a pull-out drawer below the TV, so the sides would be visible). You could veneer only the flat part of the front, then have a gloss black radius (like the new ACI Titan XL subs - http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/titan/titanxl.htm ). The best option, IMO, would be a solid wood baffle like Salk speakers (http://www.salksound.com/gallery/HTC-bubinga.html), but that would be more difficult and expensive (not to mention a completely custom cabinet rather than finishing an Ascend one).

JohnnyCasaba
03-16-2006, 10:08 AM
If you email Ascend they will give you the details. I'm waiting to gather up the remaining funds so I can send my 170's in. I don't know if Dave minds me posting the details, so Dave....feel free to remove this info if you need to!

-The 170SE upgrade is $80/speaker = $160/Pr.+$20 return shipping = $180

This includes new tweeters, woofers & crossovers, cleaning & testing and new packaging. Dave said the fee does not really cover their costs :cool:

I'll admit, I was a little surprised by the SE upgrade price at first, but it really is amazing what you get in the SE upgrade, especially when compared to mods and/or x-over upgrades offered by others.

BGHD
03-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, I just packed up my 3 170's in their original boxes and all packings. Glad I kept them all this time! ;)

I will MISS them. I put my Dahlquist QX6's in their place; Very good speakers but NOT as good as the Ascends in their classic incarnation. This was proven- out by many blind listening tests among family and friends. (great bass though)

Anyway, I just got done listening to some Diana Krall and the "Best of Sade" CD. I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful girlfriend who appreciates great sound!
For music, I have the HSU VTF MK-2 and Rotel 1062 integrated along with the Rotel 1072 CD player. I don't think these speakers can sound any better! Or can they......?

I just hope it won't take too long to find out.
So, Ascend has already contacted you to return them for the upgrade?

davef
03-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi BGHD,

We would be happy to upgrade your classic 170s to SE's now... Send me an email on Monday to make the arrangements. :)

Take care!

BradJudy
03-23-2006, 03:05 PM
My 170 mains have landed at Ascend HQ. I'm looking forward to them coming back as SE's. :)

rifmon
03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Ummmm, not only has Dave contacted me but I already got-em back and they sound incredible! I've been running them at low volumes to moderate volumes, trying to break them in. My Classics were running almost continuously for 4 years. I bet they were on in one way or another approx 80% of the time. So the old classics were really broken in. I really want to give these new baby's a lot of time. I demoed my new SE's to a friend the other day. He is looking to upgrade. For the first time, I really cranked-em up. I played some Maynard Ferguson "Live in Paris".

But what I really need to do is to sit back and relax through some of my best CD's that feature vocalists. And for that, I need "Quiet on the set!" No kids, no dogs, etc....

BradJudy
03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
I just got an e-mail receipt from Ascend, so hopefully that means mine are on their way back. :)

Edit: Got a tracking number too. :)

Lou-the-dog
03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
I just got an e-mail receipt from Ascend, so hopefully that means mine are on their way back. :)

Edit: Got a tracking number too. :)

Well Brad, I don't know what Ascend is sending you because I already have your veneered 170SE's sitting in my living room. You need to know that they are being held for ransom. Don't call the cops. You need to follow my directions exactly or you will NEVER see them again. I will be in contact....

XXX

Normally I sign this with "Randy" but since I'm in the middle of a kidnapping I need to be much more secretive.

davef
03-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Hey now...

Stop teasing Brad about his beautifully veneered 170s (oops, now 170 SEs)... Truth is, my wife saw them at the factory and just HAD to have 'em... You all know she is now in her 2nd trimester so whatever she wants she gets :o

Sorry Brad... I am sure the standard black matte will look fine ;)

BradJudy
03-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Hmmm...sounds like I'll have to bribe Mrs. F to get my speakers back. Hopefully I'll be able to crank one out this weekend. :)

jermy4
03-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Hey now...

Stop teasing Brad about his beautifully veneered 170s (oops, now 170 SEs)... Truth is, my wife saw them at the factory and just HAD to have 'em... You all know she is now in her 2nd trimester so whatever she wants she gets :o

Sorry Brad... I am sure the standard black matte will look fine ;)
You've probably done some research on this ... so I have a question. About how much extra would it cost the customers if you offered the 170SEs with a decent looking veneer?

BradJudy
04-04-2006, 03:31 PM
/me does a little UPS delivery notification dance... :D

curtis
04-04-2006, 04:05 PM
/me does a little UPS delivery notification dance... :D
Does that mean the black matte ones are waiting for you at home? :)

BradJudy
04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
:D :D

jermy4
04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
:D :D
Let see some pics of those gems ;)