PDA

View Full Version : xr55 help

tilt
02-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Here is my situation.

2 identical pairs of speakers, one pair on channel A the other on channel B. Channel A and B: all surrounds and center shut off as is the sub. speakers set to large and Xover at 80 ( though I do not think this matters in large). I then listen between the speakers and channel A has no bass, and sound boxy, but B sounds great. I then switch the speakers and the same, A = bad B = good. I then Biwire and the speakers sound bad, like they did on channel A. Shouldn't A and B sound the same??

I brought it in to get looked at and the guy said I had the sub turned on(which I did not), so I took it home and it still sounds like crap. Any ideas? This is deffective is it not?

tilt

bikeman
02-08-2006, 07:01 PM
How long have you had the receiver?

David

tilt
02-08-2006, 07:17 PM
month and a half so should be broken in if that is what you are eluding to.

This is not a slight difference between the speakers it is a big difference. Can you confirm that the 2 channels should sound the same?
Thanks
tilt

curtis
02-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Check the wiring and set the sub to none/off.

Joe27
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I would have posted this the day after your initial post but my account hadn't received posting privileges yet... sorry.

Under the speaker 1 setting on your receiver have you selected "normal" or "bi-wire" for your front spkr l/r on the xr55? If you haven’t switched it over to bi-wire on the receiver I would think the symptoms of what you are describing would mimic your physical bi-wire set up but with the receiver still playing it in the "normal" mode.

BTW. I own this receiver after having a Yamaha 1400 for 2 years... the detail/clarity/crispness is hard to match at it's price point and I can notice this with an Athena speaker (AS-F2)x 4 set up! However, (if it's not obvious since I'm posting on this forum in the first place.)... I can't wait for my 340se x3 front/170se x4 setup to arrive that I ordered last week to match to the panny. I hope to be getting the 340's by March. The 170's should get here any day. I’ve already looked over the bi-wire set up that would apply to the 340’s on the panny manual if that gives an idea of how excited or geeky I am considering my current speakers aren’t even capable of biwiring.

-Joe

bikeman
02-09-2006, 03:53 AM
month and a half so should be broken in if that is what you are eluding to.
It's the listener that "breaks in," not the equipment. At least after the first few seconds (minutes?). Folks hear a difference and assume it's the equipment.

This is not a slight difference between the speakers it is a big difference. Can you confirm that the 2 channels should sound the same?

"A" & "B" don't have to sound the same but if there is a difference, it'll always be "A" that sounds better. If manufacturers are going to cut corners on the speaker outputs, they won't start with "A."
I've posted this before so you may have already read this. If the SFC is engaged in two channel, you'll get some strange sounding music. Just double check to make sure it's off.
I was unable to recreate your problem with my Panny.

David