PDA

View Full Version : 340SE tweeter question

chiabob
02-01-2006, 05:21 PM
I just hooked up my brand new 340SEs to my XR55 and I thought one sounded kind of strange so I pulled the cover off and noticed that the tweeter was pushed in! I managed to get it to pop out after playing with it for a few seconds, but my question is whether or not this might have a permanant effect on the sound.

-Matt

bikeman
02-01-2006, 06:14 PM
I just hooked up my brand new 340SEs to my XR55 and I thought one sounded kind of strange so I pulled the cover off and noticed that the tweeter was pushed in! I managed to get it to pop out after playing with it for a few seconds, but my question is whether or not this might have a permanant effect on the sound.-Matt
It shouldn't matter. If it does, you'll hear from Ascend ASAP.

David

davef
02-01-2006, 06:21 PM
I just hooked up my brand new 340SEs to my XR55 and I thought one sounded kind of strange so I pulled the cover off and noticed that the tweeter was pushed in! I managed to get it to pop out after playing with it for a few seconds, but my question is whether or not this might have a permanant effect on the sound.

-Matt

Sorry to hear this! Perhaps a finger accidentally pushed it in during packaging...

Tweeter damage in this case is doubtful, but a permanent deformity could be problematic. Please, carefully inspect the tweeter visually.. If you see any creases or indentations let me know quickly.

Thanks!

Beuby
02-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Matt,

Sorry to hear about your tweeter... When you have a minute, can you give me your impressions of the 340SEs with your XR-55? It'll be moot point when mine arrive in a week but I'd be grateful for some comments. The sound is so sweet with my 170s and XR-55 combo the only thing really lacking is deep bass. Had to have the 340SEs though...

chiabob
02-02-2006, 07:26 AM
I'll inspect it tonight and let you know.
Thanks for the quick response!!

-Matt

KPFury
02-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Matt,

Sorry to hear about your tweeter... When you have a minute, can you give me your impressions of the 340SEs with your XR-55? It'll be moot point when mine arrive in a week but I'd be grateful for some comments. The sound is so sweet with my 170s and XR-55 combo the only thing really lacking is deep bass. Had to have the 340SEs though...

I haven't heard the 170SEs, but the 340SE's with the Panny is sweeet :) You won't get the deep deep bass, but what you do get has very good punch which plays cleanly and of which there is a suprising amount of. When I played hiphop tracks w/ deep basslines, it 'almost' sounded like there was a small sub in the room :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to figure out if I like the 340s better for music w/ my Mirage S12 sub or just by themselves as the bass sounds so clean and tight. I'll have better impressions after I calibrate w/ the SPL meter and Avia.

Beuby
02-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Many thanks... I have 170s (non SE) and in my small listening room (11 x 14) they are adequate for bass (for me, since I listen to mostly jazz) so the 340SEs should be fully adequate for my bass needs. Straying off topic even further, I was listening to Santana's "Shaman" (?) last night and hearing details I've never heard before with my old receiver. C'mon UPS...

chiabob
02-02-2006, 02:07 PM
I haven't had the time to sit down and listen to them for more than a couple minutes. I'll let you know what I think later this week.

chiabob
02-02-2006, 10:00 PM
OK, here are some pictures of the tweeter. If I look really close I can see a crease and an indentation. Maybe these are so small they won't make a difference.
http://www.mattandcrina.com/ascend/tweeter_1.jpg
http://www.mattandcrina.com/ascend/tweeter_2.jpg

-Matt

chiabob
02-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Any thoughts?

curtis
02-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I thought I posted something yesterday. Maybe I forgot to hit submit.

Anyways....I do not think you have anything to worry about.

davef
02-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Chiabob,

Any thoughts?

Sorry.. I missed your post...

Even though I doubt there is any form of performance compromise... we are going to send you a new tweeter anyway, just to be sure..

Please send me an email with your complete contact info (please don't post it publicly)...

Have a nice weekend!

chiabob
02-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Wow! Thanks!