PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in AZ with the 340's?

turboedsupe
01-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I bought the SvS 7.2 setup but wanted to hear some 340's as i was thinking of switching my mains and center out. I was probably going to just keep the svs's for surround as i think they are probably about equal to the 170's. So is there anywhere in Arizona i can listen to them at?

curtis
01-23-2006, 12:00 AM
I bought the SvS 7.2 setup but wanted to hear some 340's as i was thinking of switching my mains and center out. I was probably going to just keep the svs's for surround as i think they are probably about equal to the 170's. So is there anywhere in Arizona i can listen to them at?
Hopefully the Arizona contingent will be along to help you.

But why do you think SVS's are about equal to the 170's? The HTM-200 would be a much better comparison, and even then, from what I am reading about the SVS's, they sound different. :)

Quinn
01-23-2006, 04:06 AM
I was at a listening session yesterday with someone who heard the SVS speakers at CES and he certainly didn't think they are equal in any way.

turboedsupe
01-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Well all specs and size match up pretty well i didnt think there could have been that much difference. Well if anyone in az chimes in ill find out. I tried writing the guy on the frappr map but he never wrote back

Quinn
01-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Well all specs and size match up pretty well i didnt think there could have been that much difference. Well if anyone in az chimes in ill find out. I tried writing the guy on the frappr map but he never wrote back

Look at the graphs and not the specs. Ascend's -/+3dB and SVS' are not the same. One uses it as not varying more than 3dB from any other point in the stated range. The other uses it as not varying more than 3dB from a central point in the stated range which allows for one point to be 6dB off another. Apply +/-3dB as SVS uses it to the Ascend 170SE and the 170SE's range is approx. 42hz to 26kHz. Also, look at the effiency rating. It is going to take more power to run the SVS'. But specs and graphs don't tell the whole story on how a speaker sounds. Get a pair of each and return the lesser one and then order the rest of the speakers.

curtis
01-23-2006, 10:53 AM
The size of the speakers are quite a bit different too.